How Do You Ladies Get Your Magnetic Rollers Tight Against the Scalp...

LocksOfLuV

Without those darn roller-clamps?! I just was looking through Lonie's and BWE's albums and everyone's rollersets look so pretty and they can rock theirs without flat ironing. But I can't *pout*.

How do you do it? How do you get the hair on the roller so smooth all while keeping the roller tight against the scalp (stretching the newgrowth)?

My rollers be flopping and falling out everywhere and that's with them freaking clamps! I want to let go of the clamps!

I want to rock a nice rollerset without the flat iron!!!

I'd like to know this also. If this is possible.:confused: I have to make several adjustments to the magnetic rollers before I can place the net on my head and then they dont move. All of my hair comes out straight except for about 1" of the roots. The only time I have achieved straight roots is from mesh rollers, but I dont always have the time for these.:)

EDITED...ooops can't find my camera right off hand so I'm gonna try to describe it.

Last edited:
  • Use the square double prong clips (not the ones that come to a V/point because those are harder to use)
  • If you do not plan on connecting the rollers, hold the roller (with the hair ends smoothed on it) a little in front of you to stretch the new growth and roll it securely to the scalp.
  • Place the clip at the bottom of the roller,in the middle attached to the scalp. (this is what keeps the roller in place... the attachment to the scalp) your hair should not be caught or pulled by the clip which would cause breakage
  • Other ladies get one roller at the top of the row in securely, and then they just conect the rest of the rollers together.
  • If you do the connect way you can use either clip.
  • If you already have the second kind of clip, you can still use the first method but you will probably need to use a clip on each side of the roller.

I'm not sure if this was all clear. Please let me know if any part needs clarificiation... Sure wish I knew where my camera was.

I use a seamless rattail comb to comb the hair real sleek on an angle and then as I roll the hair I pull it tant, just a little, not too much or it may cause breakage. I think products during the DC process play a big roll in how straight the NG will get. and I use secure the roller w/2 clips if I have to so that it stays in place.

MsDee4 said:
  • Use the square double prong clips (not the ones that come to a V/point because those are harder to use)
  • If you do not plan on connecting the rollers, hold the roller (with the hair ends smoothed on it) a little in front of you to stretch the new growth and roll it securely to the scalp.
  • Place the clip at the bottom of the roller,in the middle attached to the scalp. (this is what keeps the roller in place... the attachment to the scalp) your hair should not be caught or pulled by the clip which would cause breakage
  • Other ladies get one roller at the top of the row in securely, and then they just conect the rest of the rollers together.
  • If you do the connect way you can use either clip.
  • If you already have the second kind of clip, you can still use the first method but you will probably need to use a clip on each side of the roller.
I'm not sure if this was all clear. Please let me know if any part needs clarificiation... Sure wish I knew where my camera was.

This is excellent!! I just dont understand what prong clips are?

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I use a seamless rattail comb to comb the hair real sleek on an angle and then as I roll the hair I pull it tant, just a little, not too much or it may cause breakage. I think products during the DC process play a big roll in how straight the NG will get. and I use secure the roller w/2 clips if I have to so that it stays in place.

Okay so I got the combing part right and the tant part. But what kind of clips do you use and where do you put yours?

LocksofLuv,

446011.jpg

These are the clips that I use...I think everyone else is talking about these as well. I use MsDee's technique.

Also, when I did a google search for the clips, I came up with this thread that talks about getting the rollers as close to the scalp as possible and anchoring the clip: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=31790

Besides securing the clip to the scalp, I learned from Anky to wet the magnetic roller with water, then roll up the section of very wet hair. The hair sticks securely to the roller.

I've never tried those prong clips, just the long duckbill ones. Maybe I'll get some of these... :scratchch

Most of the ladies have covered the basics. But the bottom line on this practice and more practice. When I started using them years ago now, I could not get them to stay in my head either. But I kept at it and now I can do professional rollerset. I have two close friends that are stylist and they are always complementing me when they see my set.

This thread was right on point, Locksofluv.:) Im having the same problem and I think Ill try those clamps. Thanks, OneinaMillion, for the pic.;) Guess Ill be heading to Sallys after work.

I use the single prong clips, you can get them from any BSS or Sally's there normally near the magnetic rollers, and bobby pins and stuff. I place my clips at the bottom towards the end of the roller securing it to the scalp and roller. (this is a little hard to explain, let me see if I can get a close-up pic for you)
LocksOfLuV said:
Okay so I got the combing part right and the tant part. But what kind of clips do you use and where do you put yours?

LocksOfLuV said:
Without those darn roller-clamps?! I just was looking through Lonie's and BWE's albums and everyone's rollersets look so pretty and they can rock theirs without flat ironing. But I can't *pout*.

How do you do it? How do you get the hair on the roller so smooth all while keeping the roller tight against the scalp (stretching the newgrowth)?

My rollers be flopping and falling out everywhere and that's with them freaking clamps! I want to let go of the clamps!

I want to rock a nice rollerset without the flat iron!!!

I just use the magnetic rollers with caps. The caps hold it in place... and my new growth is soft and smooth. After rollersetting I sit under the dome dryer.. so the heat from that helps straightens the new growth as well.

OneInAMillion said:
LocksofLuv,

446011.jpg

These are the clips that I use...I think everyone else is talking about these as well. I use MsDee's technique.

Also, when I did a google search for the clips, I came up with this thread that talks about getting the rollers as close to the scalp as possible and anchoring the clip: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=31790

I use one similar to this but it has more space at the end where the spring is.

Aww thanks yall so much!!! :clapping: :kiss: BWE, DLew, and CRLS those pics were helpful. I have the materials so like Inner and Janee said it is about technique. I can't wait to try it again!:D

Yep... these are the ones I use and they are MUCH EASIER... the ones first posted are the ones I was talking about being harder to use and you might have to use 2 clips per roller (as BWE did in her helpful picture)

crlsweetie912 said:
Yeah d, those are the ones I use. They have a little groove so you can slide the clip all the way under the roller!

doubleprongclips3nh.jpg

I'm gonna try those double prong clips, my mother keeps leaving here w/a ton of mine so I need more anyway, :lol: .

Yup, that's how I remeber being tought, not sure if things have changed.
sareca said:
Someone posted this a while back.

http://www.texastandi.unt.edu/curriculum/lessons/cosmetology/roller_place/roller_place.pdf

ETA: I also found this http://www.texastandi.unt.edu/curriculum/lessons/cosmetology/relaxer/relaxer.pdf. Is that what they are taught? This doesn't seem half bad to me.

Back