How do you bun?(what kind of bun are you making)

JerriBlank

For the ladies that have successfully used bunning to retain length,what exactly are you doing?

Making a donut?
Tucking the ends under?
Twisting the hair around the ponytail?
Something else?

I tried bunning for a couple of weeks before i re-braided by making a ponytail,moisturizing my ends,and then tucking them under.My ends came out dry and frizzy every time:nono:

I figured i was doing it wrong,so i'm asking you guys for help.

What exactly are you doing?

Thanks ladies!

Great question, I want to see the answers.
My daugher is neck length tried to bun her today
It was a no go, she has a poney today

Here is one I love -- I think it is a bun

I have been holding this photo as one of my goals

Attachments

• sarahchapman_speaks.jpg
    sarahchapman_speaks.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 102
I just tuck my hair under...I'm too lazy to wrap it around a doughnut :look: What I do is re-wet, moisturize and seal my ponytail before tucking it under. I also use another scrunchie and wrap it around the bun to keep it in place.

That is purty:yep:
I would love to do one like that(when i get enough hair)!
Big and loose.
Do you think her ends are tucked or wrapped around?

I just tuck my hair under...I'm too lazy to wrap it around a doughnut :look: What I do is re-wet, moisturize and seal my ponytail before tucking it under. I also use another scrunchie and wrap it around the bun to keep it in place.

Thanks!
What are your ends like when you take it down?

I take a lock of hair from the nape and wrap it around the ponytail and pin that in place, then tuck the ponytail under and pin that in place. Quick & easy!

When I do decide to bun it's usually a pony tucked under and fanned out. If it happens to be a wet bun, its a braided pony, tucked and pinned under.

For the ladies that have successfully used bunning to retain length,what exactly are you doing?

Making a donut?
Tucking the ends under?
Twisting the hair around the ponytail?
Something else?

What exactly are you doing?

Thanks ladies!

-I twist the hair around the ponytail very detangled or
- after I remove the bantoo knots I smooth my hair up to the ponytail and leave the rest of the hair in a curly mess, I make a nice BIG loose curly bun with it! I love it.
-I also take my whole hair and twist it around itself to make a bun. this one is easy and fast.
Zanna

I braid mine, wrap it around the pony, and use another scrunchie to secure. I seal with castor oil, and my ends stay soft and don't frizz.

I been bunning hardcore since July 24, 2008 which means I wear my hair in a bun everyday except the first 2 days after my touch-up, but now that i'm in the "Hide you hair challenge" I bun religiously by:

either donut bun (rarely), or by putting my hair in a ponytail, moisturize, seal with oil in a baggy, then coving it with a scarf.

Last edited:
i don't use scunci's or bands in my protective buns or i get breakage:look:
i just do this french-rolly thing

i just twist all of my hair up and bobby pin the ends under.

I do different ones.

I do something similar to Conqueror_aka's, and I use Good Hair Days pins.

Sometimes I use a donut.

Sometimes I just make a ponytail and I tuck the ends under and pin them.

My ends stay the most moist in the first bun, when my ends are completely hidden to the elements. I try to do that one most often.

i don't use scunci's or bands in my protective buns or i get breakage:look:
i just do this french-rolly thing

i just twist all of my hair up and bobby pin the ends under.

Oooh thanks for the pic!!!I have done something like this also:yep:
I think if i seal the ends thoroughly,then it would come out smoother for me?
Now i wanna take my braids down:ohwell:

I usually just twist it a little and tuck it under. My hair isn't that long if it's not blow dried so I try to stretch it a little. I moisturize every morning and night though if I keep the bun in for a day or two. I have a donut that I use every once in awhile, but I don't really like it as much.

See pic.

Attachments

• Bun.jpg
    Bun.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 39
I put my hair in a ponytail and wrap the band around but the last wrap of the band I don't pull my hair the whole way through catching my ends in the ponytail holder making a loop. Sometimes I pin the loop to the top of the holder.

I put my hair in a ponytail and wrap the band around but the last wrap of the band I don't pull my hair the whole way through catching my ends in the ponytail holder making a loop. Sometimes I pin the loop to the top of the holder.

I used to do this, but my ends got beat up and broke off. :wallbash:

when my hair is too short to twist around, i do a tuck bun..with pins..when its longer i just do a twist around...

Back