How do I get a bigger fro?

Chameleonchick

Okay I know I have a decent amount of hair for a decent size fro, but it seems to like to shrink itself down. How do I get a big fluffy fro. My hair is about 7.5-6 inches so I know it has potential to be bigger than what it gets. I basically shrinks down to the size of my pic in my siggy, but my hair is longer now so I don't understand why it wants to shrink so much. I try to pick my hair but maybe I am using the wrong kind of pick? I don't know, I need some help.

What products do you use? And what is your process in creating it? How long ago did you wash your hair?

I dont pic my hair out. I stretch it out with my hands, after I've used my leave in, moisturized and sealed. My fro' is TOO HUGE now to just wear out and about. I think I'd cause an eclipse lol

Band your hair when it is wet and every night before you go to bed. That is how I get my hair so huge.

Try plaiting it in 4-6 braids for a few hours, that should stretch it out. It will have less texture if the hair is dry when plaited.

I usually blowdry my hair to stretch it then I braid it and put hair rollers on the end. The next day when I take down the braids my fro is huge. Kind of looks like my siggy.

OP, all of these suggestions are good ones. I have a TWA (1/2" when dry). My hair is 3" long and I spritz it and braid it every night so that it's stretched out the next day into a nice 'fro.

1) blow it out
2) band your hair.

This is what I used to do. I like banding because it gives me stretched hair that's closer to a blow out. Whereas a braid or twist out will give me too much of a certain texture, which is not really what I want if I want an afro look.

What products do you use? And what is your process in creating it? How long ago did you wash your hair?

Well I pretty much use a moisturizing, poo and conditioner. Then I moisturize. I have tried doing it by braiding/fat twists to stretch it and by blow out, but I hate to blow out my hair because its hard to blow it out on low heat.

Band your hair when it is wet and every night before you go to bed. That is how I get my hair so huge.

I am going to try banding and see what happens.

OP, all of these suggestions are good ones. I have a TWA (1/2" when dry). My hair is 3" long and I spritz it and braid it every night so that it's stretched out the next day into a nice 'fro.

Nice! I will try these suggestions then.

Are you going to every thread with this message?

MODS! Where are you?

Yeah what was that about?

1) blow it out
2) band your hair.

This is what I used to do. I like banding because it gives me stretched hair that's closer to a blow out. Whereas a braid or twist out will give me too much of a certain texture, which is not really what I want if I want an afro look.

Maybe I don't know how to blow out right. I can blow out to straighten but not to fro if that makes sense....but I will try banding. I just use regular ponytail holders right?

Well I pretty much use a moisturizing, poo and conditioner. Then I moisturize. I have tried doing it by braiding/fat twists to stretch it and by blow out, but I hate to blow out my hair because its hard to blow it out on low heat.

What do you moisturize with before you plait to stretch?

Another thing I MUST add is that, I don't live in humid place at all. It is pretty dry here. It averages about 20% or less here.

Maybe I don't know how to blow out right. I can blow out to straighten but not to fro if that makes sense....but I will try banding. I just use regular ponytail holders right?

Yes. Some people use one band per section. Depending on how much of a curl pattern I want left in my hair, I do about 8 sections and use 2 bands (since my hair isn't short). If I want my hair straighter, I use several bands on more sections.

I blow dry with a comb attachment. I use this one specifically. I think if you want a bit more texture, blow dry on cool or alternate between that and a medium heat. My afro in my avi was done using that type of method. I had less inches of hair than you do now at that time too, iirc.

I 'ono what those products look like, but I think you should not use anything "wet" but should perhaps try an oil like coconut oil. Or maybe if you like Shea butter, that alone or with something like essential oils to make it less thick. The idea is to lessen the shrinkage.

When I use something wet or if I do my puffs immediately after washing and let my hair airdry in the puff, it look like this:
October2008BunCake-vi.jpg

If I use S Curl and baggy overnight in braids to stretch it a bit, I still get some shrinkage and it looks like this:
roPuffSept12008Justoutofbraids-vi.jpg

If I use something dry (although I hate to tell you what I used coz it was a mistake :lachen: I had received My Honey Child Type 4 DC and didn't realize it wasn't a leave in so I used it on my hair and didn't like the feel (duh! :dork: ) and so added coconut oil)
...then plait it to stretch, the hair doesn't shrink much and I get a bigger puff:
October2008Puff-vi.jpg

I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect if I just used coconut oil, I'd get a much bigger puff. I think the DC might've caused a bit of shrinkage. If you like grease, or something like it, this is one time when it can come in handy.

Last edited:
Yeah what was that about?
She’s a Chinese vendor hawking her wares trying to sell lacefronts, weaves and wigs. I guess she didn’t get too much attention in the Vendors’ forum and decided to shuffle members to her thread about ordering directly from the factory….[quote] Why not order directly from factory? all kind of human hair products,lace wigs ..... [/quote]. I guess she’s posting in random threads throughout the whole site trying to set up a BSS at LHCF.

Sorry to have hijacked your thread.

I put my hair in big twists and undo them while my hair is slightly damp or dry. My hair is so big when dry so I don't pick it out I pat it down.

Back