How can I keep my hair at my nape heathy?

honeisos

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if there is a thread on this ... I have grown my hair out , quite a few thimes over the last 10 ten yrs... That longest it has been was bra strap...
Now this is way before LHCF .. so now I know what to do to make it grow longer this time.. /images/graemlins/weird.gif
But , I have always had breakage at my nape ... I wore my hair up most of the time and .. still it broke off

This go around .. I have a nape full of thick hair ... but I am scared I will lose it again /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif... I'm thinking that I should not relax the nape area anymore.
any ideas?

Yeah , I read on this board when someone said they don't relax their nape anymore, so it does not break off. Someone even said that when their hair is down, they keep the nape in two cornrow braids.....Good ideas

What I usually do is make sure that I sleep with my name protected..........I think that is when most of the damage is caused.......

I do relax the nape, but I section off about an inch section and relax that section last. The relaxer might be on that part all of 3-4 minutes. I also make sure that I neutralize it really well and I slather conditioner on it whenever I wash. Also if I'm wearing my hair in a bun or ponytail, I make sure that I don't pull it so tight that the hair is being strained.

I've also had nape problems but now I also relax them last, but I'm going to try and not relax it at all.

Also be careful how you wrap your hair up at night. I used to tie my scarf at the nape area and would suffer from breakage, but now I wrap my scarf "aunt jemima" style to avoid breakage in that area.

Oh, I never thought of wrapping it that way KT. I don't have nape breakage but that's an idea. Then I wouldn't have that bump in the back when I lay down...hmmmm...thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I've also had nape problems but now I also relax them last, but I'm going to try and not relax it at all.

Also be careful how you wrap your hair up at night. I used to tie my scarf at the nape area and would suffer from breakage, but now I wrap my scarf "aunt jemima" style to avoid breakage in that area.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/lachen70.gif I tie my this way too ... Aunt Jemima would be so proud ...the tradition is alive and well ... or is it Hattie Mcdaniel /images/graemlins/look.gif?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this same problem so I stopped wearing a silk wrap to bed. I would always tie it at my neck and all my hair would get caught in the knot/tie. I would wind up breaking my hair off... /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I wore my hair up most of the time and .. still it broke off

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if anyone pointed this out yet, but that might be the problem. Wearing any style consistantly over a long period of time causes tension on the same spots thus leading to breakage. If you like wearing buns, try putting the bun downward -- anything to take tension off that same spot. I have a friend who has wavy waist length hair and She ALWAYS wears her hair in a ponytail so her hairline is really thin. Just switch up and keep it moisturized ..you should be ok!

My nape area was really thinned out from until I started using Profectiv anti thinning creme and Castor oil.
I was surprised how well my nape area has grown back.

Back