How Can I Achieve This Look?

liteskinshowdy

How Can I Achieve This Hair Color?

Hi guys,

I need your help! I will be coloring my hair on Friday and I have decided to go with Kerri's hair color. I will be going to Sally's this week and I wanted to know which products to use to get the same look whether box colors or powders.

New Hair Style.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Probably smaller rollers and pin curls. It's doesn't look hard but since you have length, it wouldn't he as curly.

I would try satin rollers in the smallest diameter you can find, then wrap them tight & all the way to the top. I used 5/8" on just my ends, and it gave me curls for days (literally). This was on blowdried, flat ironed hair & I didn't use add'l products, just slept on the rollers overnight.

lhcfsatin.jpg

lhcfsatin2.jpg

I think that you should go to a salon and get it done.

ITA - You have a gorgeous head of hair and I would not attempt a dramatic change in color like that at home.

I would seek out a great stylist that specializes in color and is experienced on AA hair; not all of them that will color your hair should color your hair.

Hey guys,
I went to Wal-Mart and picked up some box colors.
2 of the lighter color and 1 of the darker.
I don't plan on doing my whole head-maybe from ear to ear going over the crown-
I don't know though, I want something different. I was thinking about cutting my hair because I'm tired of it - love/hate thing
I'm not doing it myself.
How do you think I did with picking out colors? I'm still open to suggestions. Not final until Friday night.
hair color.jpg

Last edited:
I love the color, but I would not advise you to do it yourself or to have someone inexperienced do it for you. I am sure Kerry used someone well-versed in coloring to get the perfect placement.

I think I am going to color my hair next Spring/Summer. I have the bug.

IMG_20358043780598.jpegI've bleached and dyed my hair ALOT. Idk, but when I use the box dyes on my hair the red never took. My roots would lighten a little but over the color stayed the same. I was able to achieve this red color at home with Sallys products.

As Leona said, a box color may not lift your hair color enough to the desired result. Either bleach or a high lift box color (light brown/blonde, preferably) will get you there. Loreal Hi Lift hair colors can achieve that for you (I believe it's sold at Sally's). Also, unless you want really red hair, I wouldn't even recommend getting a red color... The way that hair color lifts is black/dark brown to red to orange to yellow to light yellow/gold/platinum. You don't need a red color and Kerri's color isn't that red; when your hair color lightens, there will already be red base tones visible (which is why many people tone their color after lightening it to get it exactly the way they like). So like I said, a light (neutral) brown or (neutral) brown would be sufficient. I think the Loreal Hi Colors have a toner/color built in to get your hair to that color as it lightens, so you will have one less job to do when it comes to toning the hair.

ETA: Your hair is gorgeous though, so unless it's very healthy and strong and you're very confident in attempting to do this ( I wouldn't say it's hard persay, you just have to really understand the laws of hair color) I'd advise you see a colorist.

Ogoma - my friend went to hair school that's doing it - with her new work schedule I couldn't get her to come with me to pick out what I needed

brownb83 - I'm going to Sally's today

leona2025 - love that red- hitting up Sally's today - since your hair is long, how much did you need to purchase?

outspokenwallflower - I'm trying to get it to be as close to her color as possible. My hair is pretty strong and healthy- I've cut out doing a lot "bad" hair things so my hair would be prepared.

I appreciate everyone's help. If anything else comes to mind please let me know.

Her hair looks to be a light coppery brown; so there's slight red undertones, but it's not too red. It's a mix of gold, brown and red. Just don't get a 'red' hair color; you can always add a bit of red (should you want it to be that red) with a toner/semi permanent. SOMETIMES (depending on the location) Sally's SA's know what they're talking about when it comes to color (they're supposed to) so you should get their opinion as well. Starting off with something that has neutral undertones seems safest though. Your hair naturally has warm, red undertones that will inevitable become apparent when you lighten the pigment.

I didn't use that much because I only did my bangs. Since there is a chance of things going wrong, I would advise you to do a test patch first. Also my goal was that red color so it came out perfectly. The Sally's I go to knows nothing about hair :-(.

Also that red color was hard to maintain. I put a red rinse over once or ever two weeks. To much work. Also you will have to up your care for the area you dye.

That color is drying!!!!

Try to find some box color for women of color.

Or woven take the pic to sallys.

I love the color, but I would not advise you to do it yourself or to have someone inexperienced do it for you. I am sure Kerry used someone well-versed in coloring to get the perfect placement.

I think I am going to color my hair next Spring/Summer. I have the bug.

I went to Sally's and they were no help. Just basic information.

I have in the past used the Dark and Lovely honey blonde or sunset blonde to achieve a similar color. Because my hair (your appears too also be) is dark it only lifted to a light brown. I googled some pictures and reviews. When I colored I didn't know anything about taking care of colored hair so I cant say whether it did me wrong or not, I have never had hair this long before because of a lack of knowledge. I would say use any product with care and know that you are going to have to make some changes to how you care for your hair.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dar...w&sqi=2&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=975&bih=641#imgdii=_

Also, silk elements now has a color line, I cant say one is better than the other but you do have options.

Best wishes, I think its going to look amazing!!!

Back