High End Salons and SAA - I Figured It Out

HopefulOne

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I figured it out. :grin: Reflect with me on that wonderful softness and silkiness that comes only from a high-end salon. I am talking $100 for a style outside of Manhattan and $250 in Manhattan. You know you are getting ripped off, but your hair has that wonderful silkiness and softness that you can't get more cheaply. Ladies, it is Silk Amino Acid (SAA). I would BET on it. They are adding SAA to their products. I just received my SAA and I am experimenting with it as I noted in another thread. After I styled my hair for the first time using SAA- enhanced products, I knew. I would love to hear from ladies who are currently using SAA and have frequented high-end salons in the past. I am sure SAA is how they do it. What do you think, ladies??????

Darn, I am about to wash my hair. Guess I'll have to wait until next time for the SAA (still waiting back from Taino). I will add it to my conditioners!

or maybe they are already using products sold with saa in them. technique also matters.

Good point, Nvy. However, these salons usually don't use "LHCF approved techniques". Armed with my 20/20 hindsight, I realize they didn't use good technique and they used the same products I used on my own - Affirm, Mizani, Keracare, Aveda. I believe the difference was the addition of SAA.

Good point, Nvy. However, these salons usually don't use "LHCF approved techniques". Armed with my 20/20 hindsight, I realize they didn't use good technique and they used the same products I used on my own - Affirm, Mizani, Keracare, Aveda. I believe the difference was the addition of SAA.
I might have to order some SAA now:yep:

my experience has been that the salon i was going to was using good techniques, i was just not keen enough to realize what the techniques were and how they mattered. through LHCF, i am now able to identify different techniques that matter (e.g., sloppy wet hair for rollersetting, taunt rollers with clips placed high to properly secure rollers, use of leave in conditioners prior to each and every rollerset, use of silicon polishers with saa prior to blowdrying, etc.).

i say technique because there have been a few occasions where a stylist will reach for a bottle, realize the bottle is almost empty, and get a brand new bottle within seconds to finish the job (and not time to add and mix in saa). my hair turned out no differently then than any other time so i don't think stylists have time to add saa to each bottle prior to using them.

If that was the secret, I think they would have a bunch prepared with SAA in it in the back..I'm sure they would've thought of that before hand...imagine you have a perm in and theyre trying to rinse it out and they had to pour the SAA in before you got rinsed...:nono:

If that was the secret, I think they would have a bunch prepared with SAA in it in the back..I'm sure they would've thought of that before hand...imagine you have a perm in and theyre trying to rinse it out and they had to pour the SAA in before you got rinsed...:nono:

You missed my point. I don't think they are "doctoring" each application of product. I think they add the SAA to the bottle of product. The addition of SAA to existing products is the whole point.

my experience has been that the salon i was going to was using good techniques, i was just not keen enough to realize what the techniques were and how they mattered. through LHCF, i am now able to identify different techniques that matter (e.g., sloppy wet hair for rollersetting, taunt rollers with clips placed high to properly secure rollers, use of leave in conditioners prior to each and every rollerset, use of silicon polishers with saa prior to blowdrying, etc.).

i say technique because there have been a few occasions where a stylist will reach for a bottle, realize the bottle is almost empty, and get a brand new bottle within seconds to finish the job (and not time to add and mix in saa). my hair turned out no differently then than any other time so i don't think stylists have time to add saa to each bottle prior to using them.

JMHO, I think the salons I am speaking of add the SAA to each shipment as it arrives to avoid the issue you raised. If you are able to achieve identical results at home we are not talking about the same type of salon.

Every product I use has SAA in them and if it doesnt I add some

Isn't it wonderful?????? I wish it were available locally so people could try it without ordering it. It is the best product that I have ever used and I know in my heart that I am right about high-end salons.

JMHO, I think the salons I am speaking of add the SAA to each shipment as it arrives to avoid the issue you raised. If you are able to achieve identical results at home we are not talking about the same type of salon.

not identical but by golly....darn near :drunk:

thanks to LHCF!

i still discredit your theory because if this practice was that commonplace, then the producers of saa would target the L'Oreal to include SAA in Mizani and for Avlon to include it in Keracare and Affirm. The people at L'Oreal and Avlon that make these products are chemists...surely they know the benefit of saa and would add it if they felt like it would make for a better product.

personally....if i love keracare hydrating shampoo and i doubt they can make it any better. that is my ish!!!!!!

Yeah I agree in the great results from SAA products. I purchased some from LotionCrafters.com - it came REALLY fast too - and have added it to my conditioners and my leave-in. The results are always great silk hair with great shine and movement. My first encounter with a SAA product was Salerm 21, after that I was HOOKED.

I bought it originally to use with my mascara, which I now do, my eyelashes are thanking me. I had some major lash breakage by trying to be cute and use Fiberwig :nono::nono:.

Isn't it wonderful?????? I wish it were available locally so people could try it without ordering it. It is the best product that I have ever used and I know in my heart that I am right about high-end salons.

SAA is wonderful
90% of the products I use already has SAA in them so I only add it it my Kenra MC sometimes or my homeade concoctions:yep:

Hmmm I have a bottle of SAA come to think of it. I think it's time for me to doctor up some of my conditioners:yep: I totally forgot I had this....yes....bad PJ:grin:

not identical but by golly....darn near :drunk:

thanks to LHCF!

i still discredit your theory because if this practice was that commonplace, then the producers of saa would target the L'Oreal to include SAA in Mizani and for Avlon to include it in Keracare and Affirm. The people at L'Oreal and Avlon that make these products are chemists...surely they know the benefit of saa and would add it if they felt like it would make for a better product.

personally....if i love keracare hydrating shampoo and i doubt they can make it any better. that is my ish!!!!!!

If you can almost do it at home, we are not talking about the same thing. We shall have to agree to disagree.

or maybe they are already using products sold with saa in them.

I totally agree. Graham Webb (Silk Repair line) and Silk2 are two lines that are used in salons that use Silk Proteins/amino acids and I have read that these two lines are Excellent. One of these days I will get my hands on their products.

But I totally understand where you're coming from Hopefulone. Once I discovered Salerm 21 and Lacio Lacio(both have silk proteins in them), I thought I was in hair heaven. The silkiness, shine and softness is out of this world.

Last edited:
I totally agree. Graham Webb (Silk Repair line) and Silk2 are two lines that are used in salons that use Silk Proteins/amino acids and I have read that these two lines are Excellent. One of these days I will get my hands on their products.

But I totally understand where you're coming from Hopefulone. Once I discovered Salerm 21 and Lacio Lacio(both have silk proteins in them), I thought I was in hair heaven. The silkiness, shine and softness is out of this world.

Glad you have found products you enjoy. BTW, I use Graham Webb all the time. I am used to purchasing products with SAA. I probably should not have started this thread, I am referring to a very specific experience. For the women who have frequented these salons and know what I mean about what products and techniques are used, it is SAA. I appreciate the opinions of those who do not know what I mean.

Last edited:
I love the way Salerm and Lacio Lacio makes my hair feel sans the other heavy ingredients...Im going to purchase some SAA,I wonder if I can use it alone as a leave in...any suggestions?:rolleyes:

That what I was thinking, but perhaps too much is being read into the SAA addition to products theory. Perhaps I will do an experiment of my own to find out.

I love the way Salerm and Lacio Lacio makes my hair feel sans the other heavy ingredients...Im going to purchase some SAA,I wonder if I can use it alone as a leave in...any suggestions?:rolleyes:

I am no expert but I would not use it alone. I would add it to my existing leave-ins. There are a number of threads about SAA, a search might be helpful to you.

That what I was thinking, but perhaps too much is being read into the SAA addition to products theory. Perhaps I will do an experiment of my own to find out.

Wow, I should never have started this thread. I am speaking of a very specific type of salon that always uses recognizable products (Mizani, Affirm, Keracare, etc.) so they can attribute your beautiful hair to their expertise. Your hair has a special shine and softness when you leave that salon. I now believe they are doctoring these recognizable products with SAA before they bring them to the shop floor. As I said, this is a very specific experience. If you have been to one of these salons, you will know exactly what I mean. If you have not , you won't understand.

BTW,I support your theory wholeheartedly! Salons are not charging major bucks w/o some sort of special ingredient....high end salons in midtwn and the upper east side swear by SAA (ie Chi Silk Infusion)....im gonna take your advice and mix it with my leave in, ooooooo, or better yet mixed in my DC and skip the leave in:look:

I want to order some SAA for the first time but don't know how much to order. What is a good amount to order? I want to try it before I buy a lot. I will add it to my mascara and my leave-in's. Thanks!

BTW,I support your theory wholeheartedly! Salons are not charging major bucks w/o some sort of special ingredient....high end salons in midtwn and the upper east side swear by SAA (ie Chi Silk Infusion)....im gonna take your advice and mix it with my leave in, ooooooo, or better yet mixed in my DC and skip the leave in:look:

Thanks, PV. I was trying to help, not start something. There is a salon on every corner. If you are going to charge significantly more than your competitors, you have to have a hook. I am not angry at those salons. I simply figured out what it is they use as a hook. My friends and I applaud their ingenuity.

Back