Hey Transitioners - How You Wearin' Your Hair These Days?

Transitioners - How Are You Wearing Your Hair Most Days?

• wash-n-go

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • braidout/knot out/twistout

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • twa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • braids (cornrows, one french braid, etc.)

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • blown out

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • bun

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • other (please list!)

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Glib Gurl

I am about 7 months into my transition. After rocking a wash-n-go for most the summer (and having someone ask me if it was wave nouveau :rolleyes:) I've embraced the braid out. I basically wet my hair, put on some leave-in conditioner and coconut oil, then put my hair into about 6 or 7 small french braids, with rollers on the ends. In the morning, I finger comb it out and either put on a headband or, if it's REALLY not acting right, pull it into a low bun.

How about you? :grin:

Right now I'm doing a combination of styles, blow-out, roller sets, buns, up dos, and wigs on occasion. As long as the style is low malipulation, then I can handle my hair. I avoid super straight styles while transitioning.

I am about 7 months into my transition. After rocking a wash-n-go for most the summer (and having someone ask me if it was wave nouveau :rolleyes:) I've embraced the braid out. I basically wet my hair, put on some leave-in conditioner and coconut oil, then put my hair into about 6 or 7 small french braids, with rollers on the ends. In the morning, I finger comb it out and either put on a headband or, if it's REALLY not acting right, pull it into a low bun.

How about you? :grin:

Please tell how you were able to do a wash and go transitioning. How did you keep.the relaxed hair from hanging straight?

I've done twist/braid-outs, flexi sets, afrom puff (bun) and I flat ironed once. I'm 44 weeks post right now.

I've posted a few pics in the Everyday Hair Pics threads.

Right now, I'm just using buns and twists under a beret/hat.

ETA: I will be straightening my hair once a month starting next week.

Last edited:
This December is two years transitioning for me. It is getting hard to prevent the tangling at the natural/relaxed line. So I have been blowing it out. Indirect heat only. I am trying to make it three years.

Bun, bun and bun. I'm closing in on 60 weeks now and it's the easiest thing for me. Keeps knots and tangles at bay. Sometimes I straighten my roots, but always end up in a bun.

I'm one yr post and the bun has been my best friend. Its definitely just my go to style that is the easiest for me.

I have them in sengalese twists...

Its weird tho, I got them put in mid october and they're pretty loose now. She did them tight, but not uncomfortable tight either.

Sign of growth?

I'm in a protective style challenge so I'm in twists all the time and then i do a twist out for a day or two then twist back up again.

I am rocking a full sew in right now. When I went to the salon to put it the girl messed my relaxed ends so bad I had to cut most it. I was so mad ... but hey, better sooner than later.
I plan on keeping my hair hidden until I reach APL at least.

Please tell how you were able to do a wash and go transitioning. How did you keep.the relaxed hair from hanging straight?

reeko43 - Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been madd busy! Anyhoo, part of what encouraged me to transition is that even when I was relaxed, the ends of my hair would always curl slightly . . . once I add in some product and scrunch it up, I'm good to go . . . although now that I have more natural hair/new growth you CAN tell the difference between the thick hair coming out of my scalp and the thinner, relaxed ends.

I am going to transition for a full year then do a BC :yep:

17 months post and wearing it straight 90% of the time. I flat iron every two weeks. The last few days before wash day it's in a bun.

I'm 11 months post and I'm in micros. I plan on keeping them in until February and then doing my BC (I think)

Last edited:
Back