Help with new lye relaxer decision

Narrowed down to three lye relaxers please help!

• Revlon is best

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Hawaiian Silky

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Silk Elements

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • All horrible/other

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

spencd

Hello,

Ok it seems like these were the top three choices that I noticed on the post. Revlon, Hawaiian Silky, and Silk Elements. I am having problems with breakage and dryness and I really believe that no-lye is the culprit.

If you have tried either two out of three or all please let me know what you think.

TIA

I use Mizani sensitive scalp relaxer and it's No-lye.

Are you sure all of this isn't from your water? Do you have hard water at home?

Are you stretching your relaxers out ever 10-12 weeks? This made an amazing difference for my texlaxed hair, so I can only imagine it would work for relaxed hair. I hope you find what you're looking for, my only suggestion is make sure you have a ton of new growth if you're switching, to avoid overlapping. :yep:

Last edited:
your having problems with dryness and breakage. What kind of conditoner do you use? What kind of moisturizer? If your hair is in a fragile state you shouldnt relax it.

I was using affirm sensitive scalp for over a year so most is from that relaxer. It started drying over time. I used Mazani years ago and it took some of my hair and friend hair out so I am really skeptical about that. I do think that the water has something to do with it because some products don't work well that used to. The other thing is that I used to go to the parlour so they may have a water softner.

I have used AO rose for about a month. Altough it seems moisturizing when my hair dries a little it seems dry. I have since switched to Nexxuss Humtress, and it seems like a big difference. Oh yeah! before that I was using Nexxuss phyto line and don't think it was that great. I sometimes take products to the parlour to see if they get a difference b/c they are professionals and that one was no difference.

I never had this much problems with relaxers b/4. I hope it is not the water at home b/c I see a big difference in hair since I have been doing it. Even beauticians are noticing when I ever I go. My hair always grew and once conditioned didn't have many strands come out. It has been about 9 weeks post. I used Vitale and my new growth was so much at 4 weeks it is amazing that I lasted this long. I used Keraphix and Humectress last week to prepare for relaxer this week. It has been in ponytail for days.

Overall, I think that no-lye played some role. I will start washing somewhere else to see if it is my house. I saw on Oprah, you can buy something for the shower head with coffee in it. I usually wash in sink. I hope this explains.

I was using affirm sensitive scalp for over a year so most is from that relaxer. It started drying over time. I used Mazani years ago and it took some of my hair and friend hair out so I am really skeptical about that. I do think that the water has something to do with it because some products don't work well that used to. The other thing is that I used to go to the parlour so they may have a water softner.

I have used AO rose for about a month. Altough it seems moisturizing when my hair dries a little it seems dry. I have since switched to Nexxuss Humtress, and it seems like a big difference. Oh yeah! before that I was using Nexxuss phyto line and don't think it was that great. I sometimes take products to the parlour to see if they get a difference b/c they are professionals and that one was no difference.

I never had this much problems with relaxers b/4. I hope it is not the water at home b/c I see a big difference in hair since I have been doing it. Even beauticians are noticing when I ever I go. My hair always grew and once conditioned didn't have many strands come out. It has been about 9 weeks post. I used Vitale and my new growth was so much at 4 weeks it is amazing that I lasted this long. I used Keraphix and Humectress last week to prepare for relaxer this week. It has been in ponytail for days.

Overall, I think that no-lye played some role. I will start washing somewhere else to see if it is my house. I saw on Oprah, you can buy something for the shower head with coffee in it. I usually wash in sink. I hope this explains.
Maybe you need to go to the salon to relax your hair. Relaxing your own hair isnt working out for you :) Do you use any protein treatments before the relaxer?

yes i use keraphix, gotta be so smooth, i cheleat as well to help remove hard water. I found out that i don't have a water softner in house.

I used Revlon for many years both as a child and in my early 20's. I then played around with a few no-lye relaxers (including Phytospecific) and just recently went back to lye. I used silk elements regular and am happy with my results thus far. I agree with Tanisha77 that maybe you should have your stylist apply the relaxer instead of you doing it yourself and make sure you DC the heck out of your hair :)

Good luck and I hope things get better! By the way, I've never tried Keraphix, but I like the Nexxus Emergencee for a protein DC.

Hello,

Ok it seems like these were the top three choices that I noticed on the post. Revlon, Hawaiian Silky, and Silk Elements. I am having problems with breakage and dryness and I really believe that no-lye is the culprit.

If you have tried either two out of three or all please let me know what you think.

TIA

I had the same problems with no-lye relaxers.

I've been using Affirm for years...I love it.

I used to relax my hair before going to the beautician which I would allow to rinse and wash etc. They used to praise for my techniques :grin: lol! I really do think it has something to do with the water, but I cannot be totally sure. I do know that the Affirm no-lye is what orginally caused the problem of dryness. I will relax today or tomorrow and post my results which is ususally fine. It is when I wash and set the weeks post. Thanks for your suggestions. I will see if the beautician has one of these relaxers. I believe it is a sale today unless she is capitalizing due to holiday.

I also need a trim. I was on the three month over in Dec but don't think I should wait. Actually is only a few days away.

BTW if someone can walk me through posting pics I would be happy. Can't figure out how to do it. I have a kodak camera and I signed up for pikstrips (sp) and only managed to get on pic on there.

Back