Help with Baggying ends

Ladyhenri

Hi Ladies,
I have been baggying my ends for a while now, (about 10 days) and so far so good; Only i noticed something alarming today. Whenever i take down the baggy (which i do daily) My hair is still very damp and when i try to touch my hair for whatsoever reason, more than 13 long broken strands come out.:eek: This may sound funny ( ie that i'm worrying over these few hairs), but this has happened whenever i check on the hair in the baggy and my little pony is sad enough as it is.:cry3:

Please help if you have any good recommendations for baggying hair.

• What products do you use on your ends?
  • Is your hair Damp (From Products) or Dry when going into the Baggy?
  • If dry do you let your hair dry before baggying?
  • Is it normal to have hair that is very weak when you check on it?

i know how to put my hair in a baggy i just wonder if i am doing it wrong. My hair is growing well but seems to be breaking still.
Heeeeelllp!!!

Henrietta said:
Hi Ladies,
I have been baggying my ends for a while now, (about 10 days) and so far so good; Only i noticed something alarming today. Whenever i take down the baggy (which i do daily) My hair is still very damp and when i try to touch my hair for whatsoever reason, more than 13 long broken strands come out.:eek: This may sound funny ( ie that i'm worrying over these few hairs), but this has happened whenever i check on the hair in the baggy and my little pony is sad enough as it is.:cry3:

• What products do you use on your ends?
  • Is your hair Damp (From Products) or Dry when going into the Baggy?
  • If dry do you let your hair dry before baggying?
  • Is it normal to have hair that is very weak when you check on it?

i know how to put my hair in a baggy i just wonder if i am doing it wrong. My hair is growing well but seems to be breaking still.
Heeeeelllp!!!

Well I can attest to the breakage whe I first started baggying. But understand, my hair was already in poor condition, so I did expect breakage.

I personally baggy my ends while wet. That means my ends are ALWAYS wet 24/7. Now there is a such thing as too much moisture and the hair can break like that as well. You want to counteract that by having a balance of protein as well.

I put infusium moisturizing on my ends (moisture and some protein) and then I put surge(protein) and then garnier fructus leave in (more protein) spray s-curl to lock and a lil vaseline to lock in moisture and baggy that baby up. My hair in the beginning was weak but has since gotten much much stronger.

I also have been bagging for a month now. I use all kinds of stuff, oils nothing in particular. Water, some type of oil, WGO, Olive, leave in's like infusium, for one. I am trying to stay away from buying any more products I am using what I have already purchased and use only once or twice. I bag at night wet and in the morning I re-wet my whole head and wrap in a phony pony and go. Yes it is still wet, and I am still losing strands, but not as much as I was losing when I started. I try not to comb unless my hair is wet. I notice that I lose less when it is wetter. I plan to let it out this weekend, since Oct 6, will be one month. I must admit I have seen growth. But what I really want is thickness. I plan to get a trim and will probably bag again in a month. HTH. Good luck.:)

Henrietta said:
Hi Ladies,

• What products do you use on your ends? QB Almla & Olive Heavy Cream + Always Natural Castor Oil Grease
  • Is your hair Damp (From Products) or Dry when going into the Baggy? Dry
  • If dry do you let your hair dry before baggying? Yeap
  • Is it normal to have hair that is very weak when you check on it? My hair has never become weak from baggying. I usually only baggy for a week after a mid-heavy protein treatment or when my hair is a little "too" strong.

Heeeeelllp!!!

Try letting your hair dry first, then baggy. HTH

Hmm, i actually have some infusium for chemically processed hair.. i might give that a go...I usually find it too drying for my hair but i guess it makes sense to add some protein to the baggied hair seing as it gets :bath:in moisture....

But ladies do keep the responses coming...

I read somewhere that profectiv for healthy ends is effective, Wonder if any one's got any experience with this product or similar ones that are targeted at unhealthy ends??

Henrietta said:
Hmm, i actually have some infusium for chemically processed hair.. i might give that a go...I usually find it too drying for my hair but i guess it makes sense to add some protein to the baggied hair seing as it gets :bath:in moisture....

But ladies do keep the responses coming...

I read somewhere that profectiv for healthy ends is effective, Wonder if any one's got any experience with this product or similar ones that are targeted at unhealthy ends??

yes sweety, I actually just started incorporating this although not consistently because I'm already using so much product in my regimen. I believe that will be awesome to add on to the ends actually.

nomoweavesfome said:
yes sweety, I actually just started incorporating this although not consistently because I'm already using so much product in my regimen. I believe that will be awesome to add on to the ends actually.

I'm sorry - correction. I'm using the break free, not the healthy ends, But I did find back in the day when I used healthy ends before heat styling , that I never ever had any problems.

I think your ends are too wet when baggying.

When I baggie I don't add a water moisturizer, unless they are intensely dry. I think you should try a cream, seal with an oil, then baggy. IMO your hair should not be wet when you wake only very moisturized.

Leave the infusium, and try a cream or conditioner. I use Profective Break Free and it gets the job done.

i've been baggying since july and can mos def see a difference so stick to it.

i do mine dry most times unless i just washed my hair...i use qp mango butter and evoo or s-curl and evoo.

works for me and i never experienced any breakage

I've been baggying since June 20th EVERYDAY. I have not skipped any days since then. My hair is not super wet, just moist. I spray a mixture of oil and water from my spray bottle on just the ponytail, then spray S-Curl on it (since it's a humectant, it will pull water from the area around it so I sprayed water on the ponytail so it could pull from that) and put Cantu Break Cure and/or Jamaican Black Castor Oil on the ends. I then braid the ponytail and wrap it around itself, spray the inside of the baggie with the oil/water concoction and put the baggie on. I secure it with an ouchless ponytail holder. I'm seeing length and increased thickness, minimal breakage.

Last edited:
Thank you Sweetg and MizMami!! After looking at your pics I will be changing my method. I too was unsure of exactly how the baggy method worked, so I did my own thing. It looks like dry is better. I use ORS Olive oil on my ends, I really like it, but I also use the infusium and other wet leave ins. I just recently mixed the Liso and ORS OO and put that on my ends. I brought the Liso for my daughter, but I did not like the results on her-so I will be using until gone!! Trying to cut back on my pjsisms.:eek: :lol:

MizaniMami said:
I think your ends are too wet when baggying.

When I baggie I don't add a water moisturizer, unless they are intensely dry. I think you should try a cream, seal with an oil, then baggy. IMO your hair should not be wet when you wake only very moisturized.

Leave the infusium, and try a cream or conditioner. I use Profective Break Free and it gets the job done.

Thanks. I'd heard great things about the profectiv will probably try and get some soon.

Blackbird77 said:
I've been baggying since June 20th EVERYDAY. I have not skipped any days since then. My hair is not super wet, just moist. I spray a mixture of oil and water from my spray bottle on just the ponytail, then spray S-Curl on it (since it's a humectant, it will pull water from the area around it so I sprayed water on the ponytail so it could pull from that) and put Cantu Break Cure and/or Jamaican Black Castor Oil on the ends. I then braid the ponytail and wrap it around itself, spray the inside of the baggie with the oil/water concoction and put the baggie on. I secure it with an ouchless ponytail holder. I'm seeing length and increased thickness, minimal breakage.

Thanks for this, I guess i've been doing it a bit wrong cos my ends are always wet when going into the baggy...also when coming out...lol.
will need to dry my hair and baggy properly.

Forgive me if I'm wrong because after all I am only a post graduate newbie. However, I though tthe purpose of baggying is to lock in and create a wet/moist environment for the hair. I mean I cowash every 2- 3 days and baggy right after wash so my hair is always wet while protective styling.

I thought that as long as you were using the right product for the state or condition the hair was in would make it more beneficial. Well I guess different strokes for different folks, but alls I know is that since I've been utilizing this method, my hair has definitely regained it's moisture level and have gotten stronger with added length.

When I baggie my ends, I put ORS carrot oil or olive oil on my ends and then a little WGO in the baggie. If my ends seem especially dry I might add a little NTM creamy leave-in. This keeps my ends moist, but not wet. :) Hope this helps a little.

I baggie my ends under my phony pony everyday rather than at night, and sometimes I leave my hair damp, other times dry. It depends on how much moisture I need, but I’ve never baggie my hair while it's wet, so I really don’t have much advice on that point.

As for products, I use Bed Head Ego Boost on the ends (which is an amazing product—no split ends so I don't need to trim often!:D ), but I also use S-Curl if I think I need more moisture and a little oil (just a touch of castor oil really makes the ends soft and smooth, but I've even used cooking oil if that's what was on hand). HTH!

nomoweavesfome said:
Forgive me if I'm wrong because after all I am only a post graduate newbie. However, I though tthe purpose of baggying is to lock in and create a wet/moist environment for the hair. I mean I cowash every 2- 3 days and baggy right after wash so my hair is always wet while protective styling.

I thought that as long as you were using the right product for the state or condition the hair was in would make it more beneficial. Well I guess different strokes for different folks, but alls I know is that since I've been utilizing this method, my hair has definitely regained it's moisture level and have gotten stronger with added length.

Well for me personally, I learned that hair is most fragile when it''s wet. I don't want my hair to be in constant fragile state at all time. Just nice and moisturized.

When I used to baggy wet hair my hair would always be wet and would break in result, when I would style. I can't deal with breakage well, so I started using creams and conditioners that weren't watery. What a difference it made.

Legend said:
I baggie my ends under my phony pony everyday rather than at night, and sometimes I leave my hair damp, other times dry. It depends on how much moisture I need, but I’ve never baggie my hair while it's wet, so I really don’t have much advice on that point.

As for products, I use Bed Head Ego Boost on the ends (which is an amazing product—no split ends so I don't need to trim often!:D ), but I also use S-Curl if I think I need more moisture and a little oil (just a touch of castor oil really makes the ends soft and smooth, but I've even used cooking oil if that's what was on hand). HTH!

For some reason my hair doesn't like Scurl but my baggied ends love it. Who knew.:)

I've been bagging for a minute and had no shedding and I lightly wet my hair and apply oil. In the morning my hair is still a little damp but when i let air dry it looks very hydrated.

nomoweavesfome said:

Thanks for the advice girl...:D
I dont think you are wrong. every one has different textures and types of hair, so their hair needs differ as well.
Think i may try baggying damp hair rather than wet hair...Plus i actually need some kind of date with my hair...I need to get to know my hair properly and find out its likes and dislikes. :ohwell:

I NEVER EVER....BAGGY with wet ends, it equals breakage because the wetness keeps the hydrogen bonds (temporary) continuosulsy broken down. Therefore, the hair is weakened, its too much moisture. I lightly moisturise hair and add oil to my baggy then cover the hair, without breakage.

Last edited:
den1 said:
I NEVER EVER....BAGGY with wet ends, it equals breakage because the wetness keeps the hydrogen bonds (temporary) continuosulsy broken down. Therefore, the hair is weakened, its too much moisture. I lightly moisturise hair and add oil to my baggy then cover the hair, without breakage.

Thanks for this advice. I have bough some profectiv breakfree and healthy ends will wash soon and apply when done.

By the way girl, well done on your hair. saw ur pics on grow afro hair long and you really are an inspiration.:)

Henrietta said:
Thanks for the advice girl...:D
I dont think you are wrong. every one has different textures and types of hair, so their hair needs differ as well.
Think i may try baggying damp hair rather than wet hair...Plus i actually need some kind of date with my hair...I need to get to know my hair properly and find out its likes and dislikes. :ohwell:

yea you are right. Everyone is different. Most of the ladies on here who don't baggy wet/moist their hair is already in excellent condition anyways so their hair needs will be different.

I'm still correcting the years of my damage and it's only been a couple of months. I'm coming from a history of washing every week maybe every 2 weeks and Black gel which is drying and the blowdrying hair as well. So when I started this method my hair was EXTREMELY EXTREMELY dry and thirsty for moisture and the way that I use the method just happened to thrive for me. But I also use protein on the hair to balance it out with Duo Tex every shampoo and I use protein on the hair and ends. It gives my hair the balance it needs. Now my hair is normal and I don't have breakage at all. I may if I'm lucky have @ 5 hairs of natural shedding every 3 days. I guess maybe that's why when I had a jherri curl back in the day my hair thrived with the constant moisture. I'm also a 4a/b with a patch of 3c in the back.

But you'll find what works for you for your hair. It takes trial and error. And you'll find what others rave about just ain't gonna work for you all the time. lol. These gals on hair are fantastic and give great advice. I love LHCF.

den1 said:

I want to baggy when I come out of my braids. Can you please tell me how to baggy 3c/4a hair. How much oil is in the baggy and what kind of oil do you use. Should I put moisturizer in the hair also?

And if I'm correct, baggying helps the ends, right?:look:

If I do it everyday, how long will it take to see results. Thanks for answering my questions.

Henrietta said:
Thanks for this advice. I have bough some profectiv breakfree and healthy ends will wash soon and apply when done.

By the way girl, well done on your hair. saw ur pics on grow afro hair long and you really are an inspiration.:)
Thanks!!! I'm trying to get my hair back to the length it was on that site.

den1 said:

hey sista den den. this is the very reason i dont ACCEPT daily washing into my life. its just not worth it in the long run!

chica_canella said:
I want to baggy when I come out of my braids. Can you please tell me how to baggy 3c/4a hair. How much oil is in the baggy and what kind of oil do you use. Should I put moisturizer in the hair also?

And if I'm correct, baggying helps the ends, right?:look:

If I do it everyday, how long will it take to see results. Thanks for answering my questions.
I moisturise the length of my ponytail first with a creme moisturiser profectiv Roothealth and seal with cocnut oil, before twisting the length into a secure bun, i coat the baggy with a good amount of coconut oil, i just use enough for my hair to marinate in. Baggying, keeps the length of hair moisturised thus reducing dryness which inevitably leads to breakage, this means you will retain length. You should see results after a few days. i tend to leave mine on everyday all day until i wash my hair.

Last edited:
Candy_C said:
hey sista den den. this is the very reason i dont ACCEPT daily washing into my life. its just not worth it in the long run!
Hi sista Candy, I totally agree with you, whilst daily washing stimulates growth, i lose way too much hair, because the hair is too weak once wet, its too much manipulation for me.

nomoweavesfome said:
yea you are right. Everyone is different. Most of the ladies on here who don't baggy wet/moist their hair is already in excellent condition anyways so their hair needs will be different.

I'm still correcting the years of my damage and it's only been a couple of months. I'm coming from a history of washing every week maybe every 2 weeks and Black gel which is drying and the blowdrying hair as well. So when I started this method my hair was EXTREMELY EXTREMELY dry and thirsty for moisture and the way that I use the method just happened to thrive for me. But I also use protein on the hair to balance it out with Duo Tex every shampoo and I use protein on the hair and ends. It gives my hair the balance it needs. Now my hair is normal and I don't have breakage at all. I may if I'm lucky have @ 5 hairs of natural shedding every 3 days. I guess maybe that's why when I had a jherri curl back in the day my hair thrived with the constant moisture. I'm also a 4a/b with a patch of 3c in the back.

But you'll find what works for you for your hair. It takes trial and error. And you'll find what others rave about just ain't gonna work for you all the time. lol. These gals on hair are fantastic and give great advice. I love LHCF.

Hey girl i also abused my hair for years. The hair on my head is very weak from constant full head relaxers and putting sew in weaves one after the other, with no break in between literally (i'd go to hair dressers who would take off old weave, relax full head then put in new weave...repeat cycle in four weeks)
This should give you an idea how bad my hair is damaged. I'm not sure that my hair needs protein (its very brittle and thin) and not sure of it needs moisture either:confused:
I am trying to make up with my hair but it's not:mad: speaking to me.

Back