Help! Underprocessed nape- should i get another relaxer??

abcd09

I got a relaxer about two weeks ago, and I'm upset because my nape is brittle and rough since then (it was soft like the rest of my hair before). The strands feel this way for about 2 inches . The hair is also clumping an sticking together in the parts where it is brittle. Because of the texture it feels like it is breaking, and it does have me freaked out because the back of my head is where I've always had a problem with breakage. A few years ago my sister had an issue with birth control- it made the back of hair very dry, brittle...and then it started to break, and then it spread halfway up her head. Well Im not on bc, and I dc and protein my hair like a motha and rarely use heat if at all. Plus, I just got a trim. So I have no, NO idea what this is? Underprocessing from my last relaxer? If so what should I do? Get that part relaxed again??? Help. Im scared. :perplexed

Last edited:
Not real sure about relaxed hair but if it is breaking sound like it is possible to much protein and not enough moisture. JMO I would not place another relaxer on top of the new one. Maybe use a leave in moisturizing conditioner during the morning and evenings to help with the nape area so it won't be so brittle.

I am sure the experts will chime in soon. Wishing you well.

Last edited:
It sounds like it's overprocessed or it wasn't washed out well enough. I definitely wouldn't put another relaxer on top of it.

What do you think I should do? Im feeling it now and as a result I am also feeling a little panicky. It feels tougher/rougher on the left side than the right, and is "sticking" together, clumpy. It feels extremely brittle than the rest of the hair, even the rest on the same shaft, and is TANGLED. Im at wits end. My hair was getting SO healthy. :wallbash:

Is there anything. ANYTHING for the love of god that I can do to stop any breakage that may be occuring from brittleness and texture difference, and get my hair feeling soft and healthy and actually BE healthy again??

:cry2:

Scratch that "a little" and make that VERY panicky. It feels like clumps have broken off onthe left. I am royally upset and desparate for advice. I putting some leave in in it currently.

Definitely don't put any relaxer near that part of your hair again, just nurture your hair particularly that area with deep conditioning treatments. maybe even use a little wild hair growth on that area to keep it moisturized.

This is really frustrating. I can feel all the hair Ive worked so hard for breaking. Im guessing it's overprocessing.

What do you guys think of using a strong protein treatment like Aphogee for overprocessed hair?

I was thinking of doing this tomorrow:

Clarifying with Suave
Apply Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair
*sit under hood dryer for recommended time
*wash out
Follow with the balancing conditioner
Use Keracare Humecto overnight.

Previously I had been using Aphogee 2 min, Nisim COnditioner, Nexxuss Hummectress, 1 hr no heat ORS Orange Pak. No heat air dry. Had been DCing twice a week. Usually works fine on my hair. My hair had been soft, manageable, no breakage.

Then this relaxer happened.

But Im thinking I need something stronger than just the 2 min recontructor?? Oh ***, I dont know.

After the stronger Aphogee I figure I will go back to DCing twice a week overnight and see what happens.

Hopefully this will end the breakage and make it go back to normal or close to normal. *sigh*

I'm going to steal back my WGO from my sister

Any advice is appreciated.

I agree with the other ladies - do not relax again.

I was going to suggest what you already wrote - clarify, protein con, moisture con... do you have porosity control? I love it - it always sets my hair right.

I see you mentioned DC'ing overnight, have you done that before? Keracare Humecto is very moisturising, I don't know how your hair will turn out after using it overnight.

Let's know how it goes.

Well I've dced for 5 hours before (accidently fell asleep with the cap on lol...) and my hair came out fine- no mush feeling afterwards.

So my hair still feels dry, damaged, of course. I suppose there is not much I can do. I did as I said I would (used the aphogee, dced majorly with the ors for 3-4 hrs). My hair was soft at first, but Im guessing this is the thing with overprocessed hair- it'll always dry to it's dry, brittle state. Good thing is my othe hair feels fantastic. That's me trying to stay positive and avoid a hair-panic attack. :wallbash:

Anyway, since then I've dced two or three times, used Keracare Intensive Restorative Masque the last time and I love it. If anything made it softer it was this product. I used that, then Hummectress, then ORS under drier for 20 min then 20 min without heat, then used coconut oil and Hummectress for leave in, and rolled my hair.

Rest of hair is so soft, the nape still hardish and STILL BREAKING. I fear there is nothing I can do to prevent this breakage. WOrse thing is I think more of the nape was overprocessed than I originally presumed. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Anymore advice is appreciated. Should i cowash every day?

Back