Help! This crap is NOT coming out!

reachbree

HUGE mistake, ok HUGE!
For the past 7 days Ive been putting pomade in my hair, a wave pomade to be exact. Its consistancy is like a super thick beeswax. I loved how it was holding my edges down so I continued to use it. Well now as I am washing my hair and have done so 9 times, with 4 different shampoos including 2 clarifying shampoos, and 1 neutrilizer and even vinegar. This stuff is NOT budging. I am livid that I did this to my hair. This stuff should be banned, its like a perm because its permanentely in your hair!

suggestions please, im trying to get a good wash so I can iron it before my new job on Thursday.

Oh no! :sad:
You poor thing. Were the clarifying shampos you used chelating as well?
I don't know what can get it out, but I know you'll get help soon. Try not to freak out. You'll be okay.

Oh no! :sad:
You poor thing. Were the clarifying shampos you used chelating as well?
I don't know what can get it out, but I know you'll get help soon. Try not to freak out. You'll be okay.

umm not exactly sure what chelating is lol I know that one was Kenra, and the other was by Suave, they did nothing.

Dawn Dishwashing Liquid. That will Get rid of the grease.

I know..... :look: it sounds bad.... But - that will likely get the GREASE out....

Maybe try baking soda and let it sit for a bit.

What is the name of this product?

Good suggestion. :yep:

Mix equal parts of baking soda and shampoo. 1 tsp or 2 of each.

I've done this before, it cleans very well but isn't as stripping as you might think. It will fizzle up a little, but that's okay. It gives whatever shampoo you are using a little extra boost.

Let the shampoo sit in your hair for a while too. 5 - 10 mins. Let it sit and break up that oil. Maybe you'd have to do this more than once.

Make sure you DEEP CONDITION the heck out of your hair after all this shampooing too. Maybe take it easy on the heat styling and concentrate on moisture for a little while too.

In the future... don't apply such thick products so heavily :(

Good luck! :bighug:

UH OH
not murrays lol
u should just do some twists and let it dry up... its still "wet" thats why its sticking...
and when i say wet its not wet, but its wet, i know exactly what stage you're in with this stuff... its gonna be awhile before you see it go =/

OMG, you brought back memories! I did this when I was a young girl! Wow, I seriously had a flash back. I remember my mom whooped my arse! Don't know how she got it out, but man oh man, you took me back. Sorry I am of no help, but I do know your agony. My mom was so angry she threatened to cut my hair! ;0(

I hate to suggest this but...dishwashing liquid may get it out. You'd have to do a duper DC afterward though.

I know..... :look: it sounds bad.... But - that will likely get the GREASE out....

yep reach for that dish detergent.

I hate to suggest this but...dishwashing liquid may get it out. You'd have to do a duper DC afterward though.

Yup, dishwashing detergent and don't do that again!

i agree ... in this instance dishwahing liquid will get it out. just make sure to deep, deep, deep condition & moisturize afterwards -- and leave the pomade alone :grin: that stuff will kill your progress.

Thanks Ladies :)
I cant believe I forgot to mention Dawn! I used dawn and it didnt do the job at all! I mean I wasnt caking this stuff on my hair everyday but I think it was just the build up of using it everyday ykwim. Also I was still using the shea butter. That have buildup on my hair as well.

I will try the baking soda. is this my last resort? because after this im bc'ing!

And yes NEVER Again! but do you guys have any other suggestions for something I can use to hold my edges down? for some reason the eversopopular IC Aloe Gel doesnt hold any of my hair down, matter of fact it makes my hair really frizzy and just nasty looking around the front...with tons of flaking when used with ANYthing else.

have u tried mineral oil/grease? I would think that if you let grease sit on your hair, maybe with a lil heat, it will soften the wax and u can brush it out? just a guess....

have u tried mineral oil/grease? I would think that if you let grease sit on your hair, maybe with a lil heat, it will soften the wax and u can brush it out? just a guess....
ITA!!! I think some heat can do it. you need to soften/melt that hard wax now.

Try apple cider vinegar:

1-2 teaspoons of ACV mixed with 2 cups (or whatever mix is relative to your length, it should be mostly water as ACV is somewhat powerful)

either douse your hair in sections or massage into scalp with loose hair

LET IT SET 5-10 MINS

Rinse and cowash (letting conditioner stay on for @ least 5 mins... Hope that helps. This receipe (sp) finally got out Motions CPR mix out of my hair, you know, those lil flakes...hope that helps.

I cant believe I forgot to mention Dawn! I used dawn and it didnt do the job at all! I mean I wasnt caking this stuff on my hair everyday but I think it was just the build up of using it everyday ykwim. Also I was still using the shea butter. That have buildup on my hair as well.

I will try the baking soda. is this my last resort? because after this im bc'ing!

And yes NEVER Again! but do you guys have any other suggestions for something I can use to hold my edges down? for some reason the eversopopular IC Aloe Gel doesnt hold any of my hair down, matter of fact it makes my hair really frizzy and just nasty looking around the front...with tons of flaking when used with ANYthing else.

i use labella gel mixed with conditioner to keep it soft. orange cholesterol right now, or some type of humectant. rinses out easily. or waterbased pomade by labella.

This is what I'm saying. If Palmolive or Dawn can't eat through it, nothing can. They use Palmalive to clean up oil spills. It has a lot of sulfates and is harsh, but I'd use whatever it took to get that mess out of my hair. You can follow up moisture/protein rich conditioner afterward and deep conditon for the rest of the day, but until then grab the dish soap!

This is what I'm saying. If Palmolive or Dawn can't eat through it, nothing can. They use Palmalive to clean up oil spills. It has a lot of sulfates and is harsh, but I'd use whatever it took to get that mess out of my hair. You can follow up moisture/protein rich conditioner afterward and deep conditon for the rest of the day, but until then grab the dish soap!

EXACTLY. I've gotten some hard caked-up, burnt-on grease off of pots and pans with this stuff. How could it not work for some wax? Plus, plently of people use wax for styling & it eventually comes out.

I don't think it's as harsh as some people implied. It leaves my hands soft. :look:

I wonder what happened? Did OP ever update?

co-siging on using Dawn... thats what they use to clean off animals when there is an oil spill in a lake or river...... If it works for Ducks in gasoline, it will work for you!

Have you tried rubbing a little olive oil into it, then shampooing? I did this with my niece and very soft sticky gum. Might work for this. I had to work it in pretty good. Then we washed with the water as hot as she could stand it, which at the time, wasn't much.

ETA: I just looked it up and I saw a suggestion of dry shampoo.

Last edited:

Whoa, wtf? Please throw that pomade in the garbage. Don't let anyone else get their hands on it.

Back