HELP!! RELAXER DID NOT TAKE AT ALL...need help

leggylana

This weekend I decided to self relax. I was waaay overdue (17 weeks post relaxer) and my very tangly 4a hair was fusing together. I used Vitale and based my scalp (which I realized now might have been the culprit) I relaxed my new growth and it did not burn at all. I smoothed, followed the instructions and waited the max amount of time before I rinsed. Well, all my hair ended up is drier than before, more tangles and the same amount of new growth in 85% of my hair. Some of my hair has straightened and I normally have it texturized because my hair rarely gets bone straight. But this time it did not take at all. A person at work said...wow you can really go a long time without a relaxer. What should I do..I usually don't mind the curls..but my hair tends to mat together and it makes it hard to part and the tangles are starting to thin my hair (its fairly thick and about shoulder length)

Any advice would be extremely helpful!!! Should I relax again..if so when?

you should wait at least 4 weeks before you attempt to straighten it again. Waiting prevents overprocessing which can lead to breakage (why do I feel like a doctor :lol: )

I agree, wait atleast 4 weeks no sooner than that, in the meanwhile baby your hair and opt for low maintenance/protective styles.

I agree with what the ladies have said. Another thing I want to add is, next time, make sure you apply enough relaxer. Sometimes a problem with underprocessing is not using enough product. You have to make sure you use a lot especially when you have a lot of new growth.

I assume you used vitale life and body in the white/blue jar. I am sorry this happen to you. I was happy that it did not burn my scalp and it was lye. My new growth did not get bone straight as well and I think it was because I based like there was no tomorrow. I have my hair in braids and will try again in another 2mths with a less dense base. But, always try another if this did not work for you. Alot of people love Affirm and Mizani. Did not work for me.

Last edited:
Thanks Ladies!!

I have my hair in a protective style and keeping it moisturized. I'm hoping not to relax again for 2 months just to make sure the setions that did relax have some new growth. But I was freaking out, so thanks for the practical suggestions. I now know that oiling my whole scalp and I had at least 2 1/2 inches of new growth does not add up to straighter hair. I guess this is all a learning process.

Back