HELP! NATURAL 4B TWA W/FADE

Writer100

My hair was growing but it felt awful, so I got another hair cut. My intentions were to get back to the point of having twist. It seems that I can't retain moisture. I've been using oils, ORS Olive oil moisturizer, co-washing with Suave coconut conditioner and some other things but my hair is still hard. I've even done the baking soda rinse. My hair was soft then for about 2-3 days but then it got crispy again.

HELP ME PLEASSSSSSSSEEEEEE!

My hair was growing but it felt awful, so I got another hair cut. My intentions were to get back to the point of having twist. It seems that I can't retain moisture. I've been using oils, ORS Olive oil moisturizer, co-washing with Suave coconut conditioner and some other things but my hair is still hard. I've even done the baking soda rinse. My hair was soft then for about 2-3 days but then it got crispy again.

HELP ME PLEASSSSSSSSEEEEEE!

I’m 4a (I think) and I have a similar problem. It almost seems like the oils and moisturizers sit on my hair before being absorbed. Something that has helped me is not waiting until I’m totally dry before putting a moisturizer on my hair or oil on my scalp. Of course, that means you’ll have to take special effort not to be heavy handed. So far, having a little residual moisture has resulted in my hair being soft enough to absorb the product better.

I'm finding that puting products on soaking wet hair is the only way to get my hair moisturized. Today I cowashed with two conditioners as if the first one was my shampoo and then used the second for a conditioning process and then putting on a shower cap. It was very soft and then I added my leave-in, SCurl no drip and a tad bit of oil to seal...my hair will only soften when I use water. I hope that helps.

You might just have to re-hydrate your hair every other day, or so. Might not be anything 'wrong' with your products or your habits - just your schedule.

just keep a water bottle near you. and/or spray throughout the day....maybe use distilled water rather than tap

I don't know. ORS made my hair shed and it was a little hard. Maybe your hair doesn't like cones like my hair. Just like we have babies who can't drink regular formula with sensitive stomachs, we have hair that can't take any and everything everyone else uses either. I don't use anything from the BSS and my hair has NEVER grown so much or been this manageable. If you live in a high humidity area try pure glycerin. I have a spray that I've made with just aloe vera gel/distilled water/glycerin. I spray my hair everyday(or when needed) and my hair is like velvet rope! I'm a 4a/b as well. Take a look at my fotki and take what info you want and leave what you don't need. HTH!

Have you tried shampooing with something moisturizing like Elucence, DCing with a conditioner of your choice with a cap under a dryer, then rinsing with ACV? Towel drying it as much as you can but not till it's stone dry. Just till it's just damp? Then spraying on S-Curl (white bottle with blue writing) No-Drip Activator as generously as possible so hair feels wet and easy to comb? If not, try it then comb out your TWA for the day and let it dry in the course of the day. In the evening, it may feel hard and dry so spray S-Curl again till it feels soft and moist again. If you can put your hair in plaits, do so in the areas where you can. (In all my life, I've never gone to bed without putting my natural hair in big braids. I can't imagine dealing with my hair in the AM if I didn't braid it for the night.) Next, put on a plastic cap for the night. In the AM, your undo the plaits and comb your hair. It should comb really easily. Style and leave well alone. Only apply more S-Curl in the evening if your hair feels hard. If it is still soft, just baggy again for the night.

I find oils make my hair hard, shea butter feels good on application then dries hard, creams feel good and keep my hair soft but make my hair curl back on itself so that it'd make a nice rug--which is a pain to comb. S-Curl makes my hair behave the way it does when wet with water and conditioner: combs really easily and looks as soft as it feels. It doesn't stretch my hair, but it also doesn't shrink it as much as creams do. I think braiding every night does make a difference too.

Back