Help! My best friend is in trouble!

Everything Zen

She just called me with a major relaxer problem. She relaxed her edges two weeks ago, everything looked great right after but now it brittle, dry, and breaking off anytime she touches it. She's been doing her own relaxers for the past 5 years and she uses the same brand- I just texted her for the brand and strength. She is also very good at using the protein moisture balance rule (She's a member but has no time to be on the boards because she has a life and a job (unlike me and my laid off behind :wallbash:)

I don't have a lot of experience in this area but I told her to do a clarifying shampoo and intensive moisturizing treatment tonight and I suggested the Kera Care line because of the affordability (also mentioned NTM line). I am hesitant to say anything about protein with her hair like this but I know it needs strength. I told her if she wanted to get a fairly "safe" protein to get Le Kair Cholesterol but I'm not sure how and if she should use it.

She cannot use ORS paks because olive based products don't work for her. I know that coconut oil works well for her (she has some Vatika oil) Also I just bought some Alter Ego Hot Oil Garlic that I am going to send her.

Can anyone give me some more insight on what to tell her and some affordable products to buy?

Thanks in advance!

I think you gave her some really sound advice. Lots of moisture and a little protein. Anytime you see breakage, push the moisture. I don't know what to tell as far as products. She can mix honey and coconut oil and DC with that and that moisturizes as well as strengthen. Honey has that dual quality. I'm natural so don't know how that works on relaxed hair. GOOD LUCK! I wish her well.

I think you gave her some really sound advice. Lots of moisture and a little protein. Anytime you see breakage, push the moisture. I don't know what to tell as far as products. She can mix honey and coconut oil and DC with that and that moisturizes as well as strengthen. Honey has that dual quality. I'm natural so don't know how that works on relaxed hair. GOOD LUCK! I wish her well.

Thanks- I'm no expert, but I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't cause even more damage. I'll tell her about the honey as well. :yep:

Since she does her relaxers at home, I assume she uses no-lye? How often does she relax and moisturize?

I think dc'ing overnight with a nice moisturizing conditioner will really help. No-lye reeeaaally dries out your hair, so you have to be on top of your moisture game. A great dc is Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm :love2:

Forgot to ask:

How often does she use heat? Does she wear protective styles?

Since she does her relaxers at home, I assume she uses no-lye? How often does she relax and moisturize?

I think dc'ing overnight with a nice moisturizing conditioner will really help. No-lye reeeaaally dries out your hair, so you have to be on top of your moisture game. A great dc is Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm :love2:

She said she's used the Johnson (?) relaxer in regular strength faithfully for 5 years. I've never heard of the brand but I looked it up and they appear to be no-lye. Also she is very good at not using heat, she's into bunning, and hiding her hair with sew-ins and hair clips.

Forgot to ask:

How often does she use heat? Does she wear protective styles?

She said she's used the Johnson (?) relaxer in regular strength faithfully for 5 years. I've never heard of the brand but I looked it up and they appear to be no-lye. Also she is very good at not using heat, she's into bunning, and hiding her hair with sew-ins and hair clips.

I think DC with a moisture conditioner is the best thing.

Tiffers, do you think even if you chelate no lye can still give you dryness?

She just called me with a major relaxer problem. She relaxed her edges two weeks ago, everything looked great right after but now it brittle, dry, and breaking off anytime she touches it. She's been doing her own relaxers for the past 5 years and she uses the same brand- I just texted her for the brand and strength. She is also very good at using the protein moisture balance rule (She's a member but has no time to be on the boards because she has a life and a job (unlike me and my laid off behind :wallbash:)

I don't have a lot of experience in this area but I told her to do a clarifying shampoo and intensive moisturizing treatment tonight and I suggested the Kera Care line because of the affordability (also mentioned NTM line). I am hesitant to say anything about protein with her hair like this but I know it needs strength. I told her if she wanted to get a fairly "safe" protein to get Le Kair Cholesterol but I'm not sure how and if she should use it.

She cannot use ORS paks because olive based products don't work for her. I know that coconut oil works well for her (she has some Vatika oil) Also I just bought some Alter Ego Hot Oil Garlic that I am going to send her.

Can anyone give me some more insight on what to tell her and some affordable products to buy?

Thanks in advance!

Hey,

Sorry about your friend's problem. I had the same thing happen to me. She needs to not put any tension on her edges, i.e. hair bands, head scarfs etc. She needs to use a mild coconut-based shampoo (this will both moisturize and penetrate the hair but maintain moisture) and then use a deep penetrating moisturizing conditioner (I use Silk Elements Mega Moisturizing Conditioning Mask). Now Silk Elements does have protein in it, but Sally's just unveiled a new Silk Elements Line called Silk Elements Megasilk Olive Moisturizing Conditioner, which infuses your hair with Olive oil extracts and kind of tones down the protein. I used both the No-Lye Relaxer, the SE Megasilk Olive Conditioner, Shampoo and treatment and it worked wonders for me. No burns, no drying, no shedding just thick straight and healthy and nice and silky of course! But since you say she can't deal with the Olive based products, I would suggest that she mix some pure unrefined coconut oil in the regular Silk Elements Mega Moisturizing Treatment and use that instead as a deep conditioning mask. I would also recommend that she keep her edges and ends moisturized on a daily basis and that she take the time to massage her temple area, her edges and just her scalp in general. As her hair begins to grow back, just to make her edges, especially the back look a little tidier, I would trim ever so lightly just a smidgeon of the ends, nothing more, that way, the oils and the moisturizing treatments can penetrate not just the roots but also be infused from the ends as well. I am no expert, but I have learnt quite a bit from ladies on this board and it's all about balance. Overprocessing and excess protein make for a very bad senario (I know, because in my foolish attempt to stop large strands from falling out of my hair right after a relaxer, I stupidly applied of all things, HENNA Paste to my hair. Lets say, I was totally bald on on side of my hair and lost 75% of the length of my hair and found that evidence when I felt little short hairs close to my scalp where long hair once thrived!). So, with the help of the right balance of protein, moisturizing oils, conditioners, garlic shampoo for shedding and Indian Oils (bringhraj, mahabringhraj, Pure Unrefined Coconut Oil and Gro Aut Oil) as I am a BIG, BIG Fan of Gro Aut Hair Products that is run by one of our very own on this board, Laronda Anderson, I have 4.5 inches of new thicker growth where I used to be shiny bald on right side of my hair. Laronda also has a wonderful Jojoba Conditioner with Tea Tree Oil in it and when I put it in my hair I can actully FEEL the moisture penetrating, no burning sensation no tingling, just pure humidifying moisture. Smells delicious too! Anyway, best of luck to your friend.

Yema

Back