Help me break my codependency!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter legs71
  • Start date Start date
L

legs71

I feel so foolish saying this, but I am actually afraid /images/graemlins/nono.gifto part with my braids. I'm so anxious/images/graemlins/grin.gif to wear my own hair out and show people I do have some hair under these braids. My addiction is so bad that my boyfriend of 6 years has only seen me without braids the 1st year of our relationship. I'm afraid without braids I'll look a mess since people are so used to seeing me with them. I mean how sad is this, they've become my security blanket. /images/graemlins/cry3.gif. I'm proud of my accomplishment of being the girl who went from having mid-ear length hair to an inch past my shoulders on the sides and 5 inches past the base of my neck in the back. I literally start getting stressed when I think about the whole transition. Is this normal?

Trust me I truly know how you feel, after years of wigs, bonded weaves (that we're very real looking I did them myself, better than most stylist) and just plain old not caring about the condition of my hair because damn I looked good. Until finally I checked out my daughter and how her hair did a transformation by washing, and conditioning with believe it or not Pantene Smooth & Sleek, it made me wonder what my own hair would be like, how would people react to me now with short hair? it was frightening to say the least but I made an appointment got my hair did, and you know what I get more attention from the opposite sex with my yes very short but very chic do...so don't be afraid love your hair and take care of your hair and guess what, you will eventually fall in love with your new you.

Legs71 I know what you mean, I wore extension braids for about two years and that is how I realized that I would look good with long hair.

I got a lot of compliments on my braids. Guys would tell me that thay gave me an extra flair.

I have been wearing my own hair for one whole year, natural, no heat styling and I really love it.

I still have some braid hair left over and I occasionally think about braiding but I am really enjoying experimenting with my own hair.

hey legs how long did it take u to grow yo hair from earlength to an inch past yo shoulders?? coz i'm in braids and for helast 3 yrs have been practically livin off them....and yes it is very normal to worry and get stressed about havin yo hair out but think about how good yo hair will be lookin anf u wont worry about it

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
legs71 said:
I feel so foolish saying this, but I am actually afraid /images/graemlins/nono.gifto part with my braids. I'm so anxious/images/graemlins/grin.gif to wear my own hair out and show people I do have some hair under these braids. My addiction is so bad that my boyfriend of 6 years has only seen me without braids the 1st year of our relationship. I'm afraid without braids I'll look a mess since people are so used to seeing me with them. I mean how sad is this, they've become my security blanket. /images/graemlins/cry3.gif. I'm proud of my accomplishment of being the girl who went from having mid-ear length hair to an inch past my shoulders on the sides and 5 inches past the base of my neck in the back. I literally start getting stressed when I think about the whole transition. Is this normal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Legs, why don't you choose a day when you don't have to be anywhere (maybe a weekend) and take them out and wash and condition well and just SEE how you'd like it. Have you braiding hair ready to go, if you panic, but go ahead and wash and so forth and maybe dust your ends. Think of it as just checking up on it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Come on girl...you can do it.

OMGoodness, I can totally relate. I have been in braids almost 3 and a half years and I can't seem to get out of them. I have had escape plans, routes, dates but then....nothing. The day comes and goes and I was too chicken to take them out. I did take them out for a few days a couple months ago and it was soooooo hard. I couldn't stand dealing with it. I think maybe we're just too critical of our hair, that it will never look the way we want it therefore why not keep it in braids till it does. Maybe a fear of others judging it (we may hear comments we don't wish to hear). I sometimes feel it wouldn't be up to par so why show it. The truth is it may never look the way I see it in my mind ( I dream BIG..lol). I may have to PM you and we can set a date and do it together. What do you think? I have 2 dates set for another attempt at "breaking out" /images/graemlins/cool.gif...lol. May 17th..if the war is still going on I wouldn't be able to go to Ghana so I can deal with my hair at home or July 26th....after I come back from Ghana.

girl u r too lucky to be goin to ghana coz that country is too beautiful esp Accra and that beach.... /images/graemlins/shocked.gif and coz its quite humid chancs r that wenu come back that bra strap goal will have been reached

Ngaa:
When were you in Ghana? I haven't been back since we moved here 20 years ago. While we were there we lived in Cape Coast so I have never been to the beach in Accra, it's a mile from one of our houses so I'm looking forward to it. I'm actually hoping I will be a couple of inches above my waist when I return because it is so humid there and my diet will consist of fresh fruit and less junkfood.
But, would you believe I'm taking some candybars, few bags of chips (jalapeno and cheddar)and a few cans of ginger ale and coke with me? LOL!

oh it is definatly very humid coz we arrived there on my way here and it was like 1am but about 28degrees celcuis and unbelivable humid /images/graemlins/smile.gif we were transitin to over here anf coz they delayed the plane by a day or so they took us to the beach so they wudnt get no complaints and i got a nosebleed coz it was so hot, mind u it was durin the summer wen we were there

the funny thing tho is that they drive on the right and i'm used to drivin on the left so i felt lik we was goin to crash into the cars /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back