help is needed. really feeling discourage :(

missfreshlala

I've been being really good about taking care of my hair. I don't really cowash anymore just deep condition every 3 days or so. I rollerset after every deep condition and leave those in till the next one. I'm transitioning to natural and so far its been a breeze. My only problem is keeping my hair moisturized everyday. My hair feels so dry after only a short time after I apply leave in or hair lotion of some sort. It makes me hella mad cuz I suffer breakage bcuz of this. I keep up with the protein/moisture balance but its been kinda hard to figure out what my hair needs lately. If anyone has advice about the breakage problems or the lack of moisture or maybe even product suggestion. I don't wanna use a leave in with too much water or oil bcuz it will weigh my curls down and make them flat and/or straight. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Elucence MB with a few drops of JBCO and wheatgerm oil = fantastic moisture (for me) the only thing I can say is give it a try yet keep in mind that everything doesn't work for everybody. Also your breakage could be related to protein overload.

HTH

I was thinking protein overload too.

Also, dry indoor heat will cause my hair to dry out and its really hard to keep moisturized this time of year. I use a humidifier and it has helped too.

Do you dry your rollerset under the dryer? Air drying might be the culprit.

What kind of products are you using? Do they have cones?

I too suffer from dryness from time to time. I stopped using as much protein esp as a natural you dont need as much and incorporated oils like olive oil and coconut oils in my reggie. I also stopped using shampoos with sulfates in it. Hope this helps and be encouraged, we all were there at one point in time in our journey.

The ladies above have said everything I have thought of.

1. Try clarifying with a moisturizing 'poo like ORS Aloe shampoo.
2. Do a DC with oils mixed in.
3. Sit under the dryer with a hot steaming towel wrapped around your hair with a plastic cap over it. Rinse.
4. Slather hair with a 'coneless conditioner and oil, let this dry to 80% under a scarf.
5. Add a watery leave in moisturizer or braid spray to re-wet hair, and proceed to rollerset hair with medium heat. (Have you thought about twistouts or braidouts?)

Sorry if I went a little overboard with the instructions, but I hope this can help. My hair doesn't mind silicone based products, but I shy away from them because they can block moisture from entering the hair shaft by causing buildup.

Once you cut down on the silicones and get moisture in the hair, you can cut back on washing, maybe wash every 7 days, but moisturize daily or as needed.

Leave that protein alone for now. HTH :wave:

thanks for the advice guys. i just got the nexxus humctress leave in conditioner and it kept my hair soft and moisturized all day today. i also got an anti breakage product. i really hope it helps.

Back