HELP I'm new and need advise .

Natural Glow

Hi, I'm new and I'm so glad I found this site. I was a little shy to post but I had to get over it because I really need some advise.Okay this is what happened: I used to use no-lye relaxers. I decided to switch to lye for my last touch-up. I purchased a tub of ElastaQP Mild and applied it to just my new growth. I left it on for 20 mins. but it did absolutely nothing to my hair. :crying3: I want my hair straight would it be safe to do another relaxer? Anyone have any suggestions?

Welcome Drea! :wave:

I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma. Did you smooth the relaxer when you had it in?

I'm sure some ladies here who self relax can offer some advice on how and when to do a correction.

I'm sorry I don't have any advice, just wanted to welcome you. I'm certain that the pros here will have your straightened out, no pun intended.

Thanks for the welcomes, It took about 15 mins. to apply the relaxer and I smoothed my hair for about five mins. I didn't want to leave it on for too long. I thought I may get burned.

Welcome :newbie: :yay: :bouncy: Don't be scuurrrred we won't bite:lachen: . I was thinking that maybe you should try using the regular strength relaxer instead of the mild relaxer or if you don't want to use the regular strength you could continue using the mild relaxer but just leave it on for a longer time. I had this problem when I was using Motions mild relaxer. I would leave it on for the suggested time but I didn't like the outcome so I left it on for a longer period the next time I relaxed my hair.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
I would leave it on for the suggested time but I didn't like the outcome so I left it on for a longer period the next time I relaxed my hair.

Hey Thanks, Do you think it would be okay to relax over the part that didn't straighten the first time? If so how long should I wait to relax again? I don't know if I can wait until it's time for another touch-up.

Welcome!!! :wave:

I also agree with ClassyEbonyGirl. :)

I'M SCARED TO ANSWER your question, because I DON'T advise this for anyone, but I have Re-relaxed over underprocessed sections and I did it pretty soon afterwards with no ill effects. I don't know what condition your hair is in, but my hair is pretty healthy and I often use protein, reconstructors, hot oil treats, etc, so my hair was able to withstand it with no damage.

Just to be on the safe side, you may want to wait a week or two, and make sure you smooth it really well and base your scalp, because it may be more sensitive. I'm not familiar with that brand of relaxer, so I don't really know how to judge the time. IMO, I wouldn't leave it on as long the 2nd time and would thoroughly examine my hair to make sure it's healthy.

If you're already suffering from damage, breaking, shedding, etc, it's best to probably wait until it's closer to your next relaxer, to avoid any further damage. I hope this helps.

kitchen_tician said:
I don't know what condition your hair is in, but my hair is pretty healthy and I often use protein, reconstructors, hot oil treats, etc, so my hair was able to withstand it with no damage.

Just to be on the safe side, you may want to wait a week or two, and make sure you smooth it really well and base your scalp, because it may be more sensitive. I'm not familiar with that brand of relaxer, so I don't really know how to judge the time. IMO, I wouldn't leave it on as long the 2nd time and would thoroughly examine my hair to make sure it's healthy.

If you're already suffering from damage, breaking, shedding, etc, it's best to probably wait until it's closer to your next relaxer, to avoid any further damage. I hope this helps.

Well my hair is breaking. I think that may be due to the 2 different textures of the hair which is why I was thinking of doing another relaxer. Then again if the relaxer will cause damage I might as well live with the breakage I'm having now.:( Maybe I should do some type of treatment first, then try to re-relax.

your hair is prob breaking cause you switched from no lye to lye. same thing happened to me when i first switched. also, you should consider combing through the new growth since the mild doesnt get your hair as straight as you'd like.

Sorry your hair is breaking. You may want to do a strong protein condition and maybe wait a few weeks before re applying. I would suggest you rotate moisturizing and protein treatments until you can strengthen your hair.

Welcome. I did a switch from no lye to lye and I had no problems. I just made sure my hair was very healthy and I used the same brand lye as I used for the no lye which was Affirm fiberguard. I hope you can get the breakage under control.

Welcome, newbie :wave:

You might want to give your hair a bit of a rest if it's currently breaking. If you have some Emergencee, you might want to give yourself a heavy duty protein treatment to help curb some of the damage. You don't want to give yourself a corrective relaxer if your hair is damaged since it could just lead to further damage you don't want. If you're scared of the hardcore proteins like Emergencee or Aphogee, you could try Nexxus Keraphix or Aubrey Organics GPB and use those until the breakage subsides. :) Good luck.

This happened to me back in the spring of 2004. I either used ElastaQP Mild or Motions Mild and it didn't straighten my new growth and I wanted it straight. So I waited 3 weeks to get it relaxed again and everything was fine. Just baby your hair and avoid excessive combing while you wait for another chemical application. HTH! ;)

Tai said:
Welcome, newbie :wave:

You might want to give your hair a bit of a rest if it's currently breaking. If you have some Emergencee, you might want to give yourself a heavy duty protein treatment to help curb some of the damage. You don't want to give yourself a corrective relaxer if your hair is damaged since it could just lead to further damage you don't want. If you're scared of the hardcore proteins like Emergencee or Aphogee, you could try Nexxus Keraphix or Aubrey Organics GPB and use those until the breakage subsides. :) Good luck.

This sounds like what I'm gonna do. I'll have to buy some Emergencee or Aphogee. Is there a difference between the two? I'll most likely wait 3 or 4 weeks then try the relaxer again. Hopefully my hair will be more healthy by then.

I think there's a difference between Aphoghee and Emergencee. I prefer Nexxus Emergencee, because Aphoghee leaves my hair very hard and it's hard to resoften. Aphoghee does work, but you have to know how to make it work for you. It does more harm than good for some people. It just depends. The Emergencee is pretty easy to use and doesn't leave it hard.

You may want to do a search for threads that thoroughly discuss the two.

kitchen_tician said:
I think there's a difference between Aphoghee and Emergencee. I prefer Nexxus Emergencee, because Aphoghee leaves my hair very hard and it's hard to resoften. Aphoghee does work, but you have to know how to make it work for you. It does more harm than good for some people. It just depends. The Emergencee is pretty easy to use and doesn't leave it hard.

You may want to do a search for threads that thoroughly discuss the two.

Co-signing with KT. My hair hates Aphogee. I thought it was just me. No matter how many moisturizing conditioners I used. I tended to have more breakage. I want to try Emergencee but I went to Sally's yesterday and bought Rx by Jheri Redding.

Okay, thanks for your help everyone. I think I'll be extra nice to my hair, give my self a protein treatment, wait a few weeks then if my hair is in better condition re-relax. Hopefully with good results. Wish me luck.

Back