Help!!! I need a gel alternative!!!

bludacious

Just bought a ready made donut. All I have to do is slick my hair back and tuck in my donut. Sounds great, huh!!! Well it's not. I need something to slick my hair down with. Someone suggested I use Jeri curl actiivator gel. I tried it besides the smell it's water based. It is too watery for my hair. I really don't mind gel but in the past it has caused breakage. If I don't find anything else, I will just have to wash every two days. Come on Sister friends tell me what you all use.

I like Sebastian Wet...It saved me when I couldn't relax my hair due to pregnancy.

I use Silk Elements Liquid Styling Gel. It holds very well and doesn't dry hard on your hair. It feels like putting glossing polish on your hair.

Now, I just use water to hold my hair down and tie my scarf around my head really tight so my hair will lay down. hth!

I like to use the suave frizz control gel (aloe vera). I believe it is protein free, so you shouldn’t experience dryness or breakage. I reall like this gel, it's my favorite.

eboniefaerie said:
I like to use the suave frizz control gel (aloe vera). I believe it is protein free, so you shouldn’t experience dryness or breakage. I reall like this gel, it's my favorite.

Thanks ladies for the feedback. I have another question. It is the protein gels that are bad for the hair? A beautician told me to find something without Alcohol.

bludacious said:
Thanks ladies for the feedback. I have another question. It is the protein gels that are bad for the hair? A beautician told me to find something without Alcohol.
When ever I use the brown gel, which usually has protein, my hair gets all dry and crunchy. Products with alcohol also dries my hair out. The suave gel is alcohol free and I believe protein free, so it doesn't dry my hair out, especially if I mix it with a little oilvie oil.

Last edited:
eboniefaerie said:
When ever I use the brown gel, which usually has protein, my hair gets all dry and crunchy. Products with alcohol also dries my hair out. The suave gel is alcohol free and I believe protein free, so it doesn't dry my hair out, especially if I mix it with a little oilvie oil.

You just gave me an idea. I have some hollywood's Olive Oil Moisturizer that I could try with the suave gel. I have a lot of feedback to use. Thanks Ladies!

Black n' Sassy Style Smoother doesn't contain alcohol or protein and doesn't dry my hair out at all. I love it because it smoothes on just like a light cream but holds well and controls the frizzies and fly aways. And the scent, :love: :love:.....smells good enough to eat!!

I never use gel. I use a little activator with some drops of kemi oyl. it doesnt get stiff and holds my hair just fine.

miracle said:
Black n' Sassy Style Smoother doesn't contain alcohol or protein and doesn't dry my hair out at all. I love it because it smoothes on just like a light cream but holds well and controls the frizzies and fly aways. And the scent, :love: :love:.....smells good enough to eat!!

I am making a shopping list. I heard a lot about Black n Sassy products. I never tried it. But, I am a product junkie. One more product won't hurt. I need to have a product sale!

Salon Selectives pomade. It's great and it smells like fruit. Everyone who tries it seems to like it....especially for the slick back...it holds like nobody's business and doesn't dry the hair out.

Last edited:
I have to second BlacknSassy style smoother. It is the best for me and hold ing hair down without the crunchies, and it is insanely cheap approx 2.29.

Verifen Complex Constant Care for Ends gets my vote. It's not a gel, it's a creme but it keeps your hair down, no fly-aways, and renders your hair smooth and super-shiny.

I have 4 b hair and my edges are like 4 z :lol: Well, I use Let's Jam gel and it doesn't have alcohol and does NOT get hard and crunchy, but it smooths my edges down even when I am at 12 weeks post relaxer

Last edited:
KAddy said:
I have 4 b hair and my edges are like 4 z :lol: Well, I use Let's Jam gel and it doesn't have alcohol and does get hard and crunchy, but it smooths my edges down even when I am at 12 weeks post relaxer

i use this too...or smooth n shine or the elasta qp glaze...all of this is thick and shiny goin on and eventually soaks in...but keep in mind im natural and it may not give u that same effect

KAddy said:
I have 4 b hair and my edges are like 4 z :lol: Well, I use Let's Jam gel and it doesn't have alcohol and does get hard and crunchy, but it smooths my edges down even when I am at 12 weeks post relaxer

Co-signing on the Let's Jam, however it doesn't leave my hair hard or crunchy like the old Ampro Styling Gel from my (no offense) ghetto days. :lol: It's a tad stiff though.....

I also use QP Mango Butter or CREW Pomade(cut with a little oil) I use these when stretching...... When slicking my hair back I always dampen with my moisturizing mix first.

I like Fantasia IC Styling Gel with sparle lites. Doesn't contain any alcohol and no crunchiness. It does contain wheat protein though.

onepraying said:

Co-signing on the Let's Jam, however it doesn't leave my hair hard or crunchy like the old Ampro Styling Gel from my (no offense) ghetto days. :lol: It's a tad stiff though.....

I also use QP Mango Butter or CREW Pomade(cut with a little oil) I use these when stretching...... When slicking my hair back I always dampen with my moisturizing mix first.

Oops, I meant to say it DOES NOT get hard on my hair.:ohwell:

Thanks everyone. I now have a long shopping list. Of course, I won't buy them all. Well this morning I was away from home and I had to use what I had in my overnight bag. I found my Elasta QP glaze. Oh my God, I had the answer there all along. The Glaze worked well. It smooth my hair without drying. I am still going to try a few of the products suggested especially the Black n Sassy product. Again, thanks!!!!

Back