Help ! Doubts about getting a relaxer...

carletta

I can't wait any longer to get a relaxer! I have a appt w/ my beautician on thursday. I have 2.5 in of new growth and this mess is
whip.gif
whip.gif
whipping my behind ya'll!! Question is, do you think it's safe to put my braids back in after 2 &1/2 weeks of having my retouch? I WANT MY BRAIDS BACK IN REAL BAD
frown.gif

I think waiting 2.5 weeks would be OKAY but if you don't have a sufficient* amount of new growth by then I would wait a little longer.

I wouldn't get the braids that soon after getting a relaxer. Why not skip the relaxer and just get the braids?

Does your new growth grow in coarse or smooth? Why not just get braids in again? I got some great tips from ladies on this board on how to tame my naps, why not tell you new growth that it’s not going to win and just skip the relaxer. Speaking from experience (just about a year ago), when I use to relax my hair I would go straight into braids (like the same day or the next) and believe me it took a toll on my hairline the most. For weeks on end I couldn’t pull my hair back because of how sensitive my hairline was as well as other parts of my hair. My hair had so much tension from the pulling even though it wasn’t tight. And the fact that I had relaxed my new growth didn’t help one bit. I don’t know if your hairdresser charges for canceling your appointment, but if you decide to just braid it, I think your hair will thank you later. HTH

I gotcha beat Carletta. I have almost 3.5 inches of new growth from wearing braids since April. When I took my last set out over a week ago my new growth was outta this world. I have been doing daily co washes and wearing a bun every day to tame my new growth but maintain my length. I am rebraiding on Friday because I don't want to touch up in between.

I would suggest that you find a way to manage your new growth and touch up when you are ready to go longer in between braids. I plan to wear my braids until the end of summer. I will touch up in Sept. Usually I wait 4 to 6 weeks from my touch up to put in braids.

Back