HELP Creating a Nice Bun with Shoulder Length Hair

Chichi

Hi Ladies,

I would like to start wearing more protective styles but I don't know where to start. Here are my concerns:

1. My hair is not long enough to gather and wrap around in a bun.
2. My new growth (okay, I know that you gals are tired of hearing about my new growth
ohwell.gif
) is thick so I need a clip that will help me gather the hair tightly without damaging my hair. When gathered tightly, the new growth stretches out.

Is there a way to fake a thick looking bun without any extensions?

Could someone point me to a step by step web site or pictures for protective styling?

I really need help here (like Protective Styles 101) as I wear my hair down most of the time (i moisturize with oil during the day). It would be great to just put it up and forget it.

Thanks for any help.

cheers,
Chichi
bdance.gif

This is what I do when I want a 'thick' bun(it also protects the hair underneath...) It looks totally natural.
<font color="blue">When my hair wouldn't make a thick bun, I helped it along. I purchased a bag of hair and took out enough to make one fat braid...looped a covered ouchless band through the middle then hung it on a door knob and very loosley did a 2 strand twist. Secured the end with another coated band. Then loosley pull back the sides of my hair as if I was making a ponytail and take the top of the twisted braid and attach it around my own hair(as if I attaching a ponytail using the extra hair). Then I would blend my hair with the fake hair and twist it up 'togther'(my own hair and the fake hair) into a bun. Because it is blended it looks totally natural. I then use Good hair day pins to secure it.
</font>

[ QUOTE ]
This is what I do when I want a 'thick' bun(it also protects the hair underneath...) It looks totally natural.
<font color="blue">When my hair wouldn't make a thick bun, I helped it along. I purchased a bag of hair and took out enough to make one fat braid...looped a covered ouchless band through the middle then hung it on a door knob and very loosley did a 2 strand twist. Secured the end with another coated band. Then loosley pull back the sides of my hair as if I was making a ponytail and take the top of the twisted braid and attach it around my own hair(as if I attaching a ponytail using the extra hair). Then I would blend my hair with the fake hair and twist it up 'togther'(my own hair and the fake hair) into a bun. Because it is blended it looks totally natural. I then use Good hair day pins to secure it.
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

very creative,,,sweetcocoa.........
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I use one of those foam doughnuts that you get at the beauty supply store. I cut the toe out of a nylon knee-hi stocking to put over it. Also, you can cut the toe out of a regular sock and roll it up and also but a nylon over that to not pull your hair when you put it on. Hope that helps or is clear.

Do you put a scrunchie or elastic band around your hair to hold it together?? How do you gather your hair together??

[ QUOTE ]
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
When my hair gets that length I will be using this method. Thanks for the tip SweetCocoa!

I used the foam donut years ago. I would put my hair in a ponytail and then put my hair throught the hole of the donut until it was on the base of my ponytail elastic. Next, I would wrap the length of my hair around to cover the donut and tuck my ends in under and around it. I don't like it but, for those who want to try that's how I did it when I used it.

Thanks, PrettyBrown Eyes! This is off topic, but everytime I see your name, I think of Mint Condition. They are one of my favorite groups. Where are they now? I know Keri Lewis is busy making babies with Toni Braxton, but what about the others?

Back on topic, again thanks for the detailed instructions. One question, how did you get your ends to stay tucked in?

Another option (what I did when I was growing my hair out from DA CHOP
whip.gif
) Is to (do this while wet) smooth hair into a ponytail, side, top or whatever and secure w/an ouchless hair thingy.... then when you have a pony, divide it in half (side/side) so your hair looks like two bunny ears (I'm trying to create a visual here
laugh.gif
) then lightly twist the first ear and wrap it around the base, (It should reach half way around) secure, and then twist the other bunny ear and wrap it around the other direction and secure. YOu can use hair sticks or pins. I hope my explanation was clear.

Hi KitaWita ,

Off Topic: That is kind of how I came up with my user name, I had heard the song recently and I used to really like it, I saw them in concert at an amusement park when I was in High School. I don't know what happened to the other members
confused.gif

The Bun:

My ends just stayed in , but, they would get crushed, they would not be smooth when I took that thing out, I think it was too small, I only see it in one size.

When I use the doughnut, I make a ponytail, put the tail through the hole, sliding the doughnut to the base of it up to your head. Fan your hair out around the doughnut and put an elastic band over your hair over the doughnut at the base of it. To get a larger size doughnut, you can cut the toe out of a sock and roll it over the foam doughnut or roll up a long sock for longer hair. Hope that helps. If not let me know.

Thank you so much sweetcocoa and ladies!
clap.gif

I will definitely be experimenting with styles this weekend...

Cheers,
Chichi
bdance.gif

Hiya everyone, I'm new here but I have been lurking for a while. I too wear my hair in a protective bun style with the foam doughnuts most of the time. My only problem was that the doughnuts were too small, so the next time I went to the beauty store, I picked up one of the foam rolls that are used to put underneath hair to make french rolls. I took that one, rolled it into a doughut shape, and superglued the ends together. While it dried, I sprayed it with hairspray and put it inside a little bowl so the circle would be perfect. Viola! A larger bun. HTH someone.

Do you find that the foam donut dries out or thins out your hair? When I was younger and wore frnech rolls the foam core made my hair really thin from rubbing against it.

So far, I haven't seen any adverse effects of using the doughnut. I make sure I super moisturize the ponytail before I wrap it around the foam, paying special attention to the ends, which I usually put a little extra castor oil on before I tuck them under. When I take the bun down at the end of the day, I apply a bit of curl activator to the ends before I go to sleep to make sure they don't get brittle and dry from the tucking. I've been doing it since about April of this year and nothing has happened yet. If I start to see any breakage, I'll surely let ya'll know, so you don't make the same mistake I did.
smile.gif

Back