Help: Advice on my DD's dry split ends

tiffjust2002

Hey ya'll,
Okay here's my situation my daughter is 9 and her hair is very dry and she gets split ends like crazy, I don't know what to do to help or prevent them. I just cut off about one to one and half inches off (which was like pulling teeth) cause the ends were rough looking and feeling.

She is natural, always has been and her hair isn't thick at all, I don't know if it's thin or fine and I don't know the porosity (did I spell that right? lol) of it either, I can do the water test thingy toniht though to find out if that helps.

My question is what should I do differently with her hair?

IMG369.jpg
See the see-through ends, this was after my cut I did

so what I currently do is the following:
Wash with shampoo once every two weeks using AO HSR, rinse out
Condition with either AO HSR or GPB for an hour with a heat cap on
Add Giovanni leave in condish and then seal with an oil either coconut or EVOO.

My styling aids I use are my shea butter mix I made that just has like shea butter, EVOO, and some other kinds of oils, I can't really remember cause I made it awhile ago) or Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie and a little eco styler gel to smooth fly aways, water in a water bottle

I don't really put rubber bands or beads or anything on the ends of her hair. Usually her style is a ponytail or two in twists or a twist out ponytails.

And she sleeps in a satin scarf and on a satin pillow case every night

That's it.

I feel so lost, her hair is a completely different texture than mine so I never really got a good feel for what to do with her hair to make it healthy, my hair is easy her's is more challenging. I don't want to keep having to cut my baby's hair off....

Thanks in advance for your advice and help

Last edited:
Is her hair relaxed or natural? If it is relaxed are your using a No-Lye relaxer?

I'm asking because no-lye relaxers caused my hair to break everytime. No exceptions. It was only when I switched to a LYE relaxer (Mizani) and started to texlax (underprocess on purpose)...that my hair stopped breaking and started retaining length.

Is her hair relaxed or natural? If it is relaxed are your using a No-Lye relaxer?

I'm asking because no-lye relaxers caused my hair to break everytime. No exceptions. It was only when I switched to a LYE relaxer (Mizani) and started to texlax (underprocess on purpose)...that my hair stopped breaking and started retaining length.

oops, I can't believe I forgot to add that, I edited my post, she is natural always has been if that helps.

Do you straighten/low dry her hair often? It could be heat damage.
Apart from that, are you using Giovanni Direct leave-in?
I used to use it but I've stopped a few months ago becasue I felt it was more of a protein conditioner than protein and it was just making my hair really brittle and dry but it was all I was using with oil to 'moisturise' my hair. :nono:

Now, I've changed to usin my wash-out condish, oils and shea butter, it has really restored my hair :)

Do you straighten/low dry her hair often? It could be heat damage.
Apart from that, are you using Giovanni Direct leave-in?
I used to use it but I've stopped a few months ago becasue I felt it was more of a protein conditioner than protein and it was just making my hair really brittle and dry but it was all I was using with oil to 'moisturise' my hair. :nono:

Now, I've changed to usin my wash-out condish, oils and shea butter, it has really restored my hair :)

I don't blow dry her hair I band it and let it ary dry, I recently started straightening it because it's easier to work with and seems to be less dry if that makes sense. But I only straighten or use heat I should say once or twice a month, and I use a heat protectant before I do. But like I said I just started doing this like 3 weeks ago was the first flat iron for her in about a year and I just did the second flat iron two nights ago, but her hair has been in this state of dryness with split ends for years when I was just doing protective styles or ponytails.

Interesting about the Giovanni Leave in Direct, yes that's what I use by the way, and I've always used this, maybe I should do you like you did and switch it out to my co-wash condish which is Tresemme Naturals, hmmm...

How often do you moisturize her hair? I can tell you what I notice with my daughters hair & hope it may trigger something in your mind. My daughter is natural & her hair is about 4a/b when dry but when I spray detangler or wet it, it's 3a/b. I cannot let her go more than about 2 days with the same style or its gets really dry on the ends. I literally saturate her hair with Just For Me Detangler/Conditioner & a little of the moisturizer (same company) & it keeps her hair moisturized for at least 2 days. I also use Bronner Bothers hair grease too. I can't remember the exact name but it has Vitamin E & Aloe in it & its really light, like it almost melts immediately when you put it in. I started to use oils in her hair a few months ago & it just does not do as well as the BB grease so I had to switch back. With these products together, it keeps her hair in the 3a/b state (especially if braided or twisted) for a couple of days & healthy on the ends. Once I hit day 3, I can expect for it to be really dry when I take her hair down. I know that some people might frown upon my product choices for her hair & are against hair grease & products with Mineral Oil but I've been doing this for all her life & my 3 year old's hair is almost BSL (without the Bra, lol) which is longer than the majority of grown women that I know. I'm gonna keep doing what's making it grow.

It also gets really dry if I leave her ponytails loose or curly without twisting them all the way down to the ends. I do wash her hair every 2 weeks with CON Ultra Moisturizing shampoo (it has a sulfate in it) to avoid any product build up. I can't do the same thing to her hair that I do to mines because it does not work whatsoever & her hair starts to break if I do. My mom who permed me & my sister's hair at every young ages thought it was difficult to do my daughter's hair because it was so thick from being natural but I had to show her that she really had to almost saturate her hair & that makes it so much more manageable to come. Now my mom's a pro at combing her hair!!

Last edited:
Her hair might be shea-intolerant. Have you tried any other oils or butters besides shea?

Swype thinks weird and wierd are both correct

Use coconut oil instead of the shea butter on the ends. Possibly at night or in the morning but a dab of leave in cream or conditioner on her ends.

Back