Help a sista out {regime help}

Samoneisthebest

My hair is natural 4b/a and around apl. I have been natural for around 3 years but I have not had my hair out. I spent most of the 3 years in micro braids and kinky twist, so I have not really learned a heck of a lot about my hair.

I have been a member on the board for a while now, so I know the basics. While in braids I would shampoo once a month and cowash once a week. Moisturize 2 to 3 times a week.

Now that I have decided that micros are no longer the business for my hair. (now that my hair is longer the take down time has like tripled) I am trying to come up with a regime that works for me. I know this is going to be a LONG journey. I just hope I don't lose any health or length along the way.

What I know about my hair so far:

• Does not like to be shampoo'd (I have yet to try a sulfate-free shampoo)
  • Does not like Aphogee 2 step
  • Loves henna
  • Likes to be deep conditioned while dry
  • Loves S-curl while dry
  • Loves coconut milk

I have decided that as I run out of my current products I will try to replace them with natural/organic ones.

Lets see how many attempts it takes before I have my regimen down to a "T". Please do not hesitate to critique.

Attempt 1 (Starting June 2011)

• Monthly: Henna {Made with coconut milk and honey instead of water); Rinse out with cowash conditioner.
  • Weekly: Cowash with Yes to Carrots conditioner {used up all of the Aussie moist that I used while in braids. Will review after a month of use, or after bottle is empty}
  • When needed: Moisturize with S-curl or Shea Moisture smoothie. Shampoo when scalp needs it with shea moisture moisture retention shampoo {will review after sufficient amount of uses}
  • Style: I have recently fallen in love with my blowdried hair. I do not want to blow dry every week after the cowash so I will be attempting roller setting for the first time (with flexi rods). If I am successful It will become a staple.

Wish me luck :grin: I know yall like pictures so here is one of the blowout I am currently rocking.

Attachments

• May 2011.jpg
    May 2011.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 63
Don't have too much advice as I am newly natural but your regimen seems solid so far to me, but you brought back a good memory for me. I forgot about my henna and coconut milk!! My hair use to love that.. Also just yesterday I said I wanted to try yes to carrots as my co-wash condish..How is that working for you???

Don't have too much advice as I am newly natural but your regimen seems solid so far to me, but you brought back a good memory for me. I forgot about my henna and coconut milk!! My hair use to love that.. Also just yesterday I said I wanted to try yes to carrots as my co-wash condish..How is that working for you???
I just bought it and have not used it yet, but I will be using it to wash out this blowout. I'll update you on wash day.

@Samoneisthebest
i like oyin hair dew and komaza care's shea hair lotion and coconut curl better than the shea moisture products( i feel that they are more moisturizing make my hair softer and hold more moisture, etc.).....as for poo you could do the sulfate free con with argan oil its nice( if you want to try a poo instead of co-washing sometimes). komaza makes a nice protein strengthener that i use once a month....better than aphogee 2 step and i have yet to hear any horror stories in regards to it. aubrey organics and mill creek make awesome condishes, but i also hear that oyin's honey hemp condish is the business!
your hair looks lovely and your reggie seems pretty on point. try twist/braid outs with perm rods on the ends as a style too. banding is also another styling option,HHG.

here are the sites:
www.komazahaircare.com
www.oyinhandmade.com

Last edited:
So I have been hearing a lot about banding lately. SO before I go on a mad hunt to find a banding thread care to give a quick run down @southerncitygirl?? :grin:

Moca

its a way to stretch out your hair to show more of its length...some folks use elastic bands,scrunchies or even ribbons to do it. your hair can be loose twisted or braided when you band. there are a few threads in here on the process.:yep:

I love your hair!!

My hair doesn't like shampoo either so I clean it w/ shikakai and amla powder mixed into conditioner. My hair loves me now! Maybe you can try that along w/ your henna txs.
GL!!

@Samoneisthebest
i like oyin hair dew and komaza care's shea hair lotion and coconut curl better than the shea moisture products( i feel that they are more moisturizing make my hair softer and hold more moisture, etc.).....as for poo you could do the sulfate free con with argan oil its nice( if you want to try a poo instead of co-washing sometimes). komaza makes a nice protein strengthener that i use once a month....better than aphogee 2 step and i have yet to hear any horror stories in regards to it. aubrey organics and mill creek make awesome condishes, but i also hear that oyin's honey hemp condish is the business!
your hair looks lovely and your reggie seems pretty on point. try twist/braid outs with perm rods on the ends as a style too. banding is also another styling option,HHG.

here are the sites:
www.komazahaircare.com
www.oyinhandmade.com

I have heard a lot of good things about the Oyin line, but i've never heard of the Komaza. I will be looking into both. Thank you :grin:

Everyone loves henna. I haven't tried it myself. But I would almost say when just starting a new regimen, maybe reserve something like henna for later. Not that it won't have great results but if your goal is to get to know your hair, I would start off as simple as humanly possible so you can see how your hair reacts without significant intervention. There's plenty of time to add exciting stuff like henna down the road. :yep:

Everyone loves henna. I haven't tried it myself. But I would almost say when just starting a new regimen, maybe reserve something like henna for later. Not that it won't have great results but if your goal is to get to know your hair, I would start off as simple as humanly possible so you can see how your hair reacts without significant intervention. There's plenty of time to add exciting stuff like henna down the road. :yep:

I've done henna 2 or 3 times in the past and then again a few days ago. Every time I have great results. It is something my hair loves. (probably should have added it to the list) Plus I figured I should probably do some form of protein treatment every month. :lick:

I've done henna 2 or 3 times in the past and then again a few days ago. Every time I have great results. It is something my hair loves. (probably should have added it to the list) Plus I figured I should probably do some form of protein treatment every month. :lick:

Ah, okay. I shouldn't have assumed you hadn't tried it. Carry on! :grin:

I didn't notice a leave in listed for after the cowash, or a sealing step. Don't mind me if your hair is feeling plenty moisturized.

I didn't notice a leave in listed for after the cowash, or a sealing step. Don't mind me if your hair is feeling plenty moisturized.

Good point. I currently use knot today as my leave in after washing. It is..alright not sure if this is the best I can get out of a leave in. I don't really feel a difference in my hair when I use it. I will definitely be looking for a new leave in. Any suggestions?

Back