Hello... I am a newbie and I am looking for....

daydreem2876

carpe diem
Hello all-

After going to salons off and on all my life, I find that I do a better job of taking care of the ultimate health of my relaxed hair on my own than stylists but I do go if I have special occasions ... besides that I am a babe on a budget and $40 for a wash and style is absolutely ridiculous when my hair needs to be washed every to three to four days to help with my dry scalp issues (Neutrogena's t-gel is the bestest ever!!!) I also do my own relaxers ( i dont know why when I go to the salon I feel like they are trying to set my scalp on fire and I have all kinds of burn and flakes but when I do it get none of that) ...

Currently, I am using Garnier's Length and Strength line and it has really helped grow my hair out over the spring and summer. I love it because it even keeps the new growth tame and manageable. That plus Kemi Oyl keep my hair is healthy and well conditioned. I wear a wrap or roller set and try to use very little direct heat if I can help it

But I am trying to get a jump on the winter. Exposed to constant dry heat and wearing hats ( I live in Chicago so these things are necessary evils) tends to make my hair very dry and fragile so I am looking for suggestions on maintaining my progress and any styling products that will help with breakage. My hair is very porus and aborbs whatever I put on so I have to be careful with conditioners and oils because they have a tendecy to just sit in my hair and which leads to the itchy scalp problem (its a vicious cycle) but i am working on a prepoo regimen ( I just learned about this but I do like the idea). any suggestions?

A little tip to give back to you for the help you are give me... I do go to the beauty school to get my roller sets. They are very gentle with our hair, they do use good products, its hard to screw up a roller set (if its a little less than perfect, wrap it and tie it up for few hours and all is well), and best of all its usually less that $10 and you can afford to go once a week!!!! I go in between doing my own:thumbsup:

First of all welcome!!
I don't know about you, but garnier products tend to dry out my hair over time. I like to do my own hair (I have natural hair) because I feel it leads to healthier hair. I wet my hair every day and co-wash (wash with conditioner only, no shampoo) to avoid dryness.

Have you tried a protein treatment like Aphogee to help with shedding?

Hello all-

After going to salons off and on all my life, I find that I do a better job of taking care of the ultimate health of my relaxed hair on my own than stylists but I do go if I have special occasions ... besides that I am a babe on a budget and $40 for a wash and style is absolutely ridiculous when my hair needs to be washed every to three to four days to help with my dry scalp issues (Neutrogena's t-gel is the bestest ever!!!) I also do my own relaxers ( i dont know why when I go to the salon I feel like they are trying to set my scalp on fire and I have all kinds of burn and flakes but when I do it get none of that) ...

Currently, I am using Garnier's Length and Strength line and it has really helped grow my hair out over the spring and summer. I love it because it even keeps the new growth tame and manageable. That plus Kemi Oyl keep my hair is healthy and well conditioned. I wear a wrap or roller set and try to use very little direct heat if I can help it

But I am trying to get a jump on the winter. Exposed to constant dry heat and wearing hats ( I live in Chicago so these things are necessary evils) tends to make my hair very dry and fragile so I am looking for suggestions on maintaining my progress and any styling products that will help with breakage. My hair is very porus and aborbs whatever I put on so I have to be careful with conditioners and oils because they have a tendecy to just sit in my hair and which leads to the itchy scalp problem (its a vicious cycle) but i am working on a prepoo regimen ( I just learned about this but I do like the idea). any suggestions?

A little tip to give back to you for the help you are give me... I do go to the beauty school to get my roller sets. They are very gentle with our hair, they do use good products, its hard to screw up a roller set (if its a little less than perfect, wrap it and tie it up for few hours and all is well), and best of all its usually less that $10 and you can afford to go once a week!!!! I go in between doing my own:thumbsup:

Welcome to THE FORUM, Daydreem. Best thing to do as a new member is to spend a few days going through as many threads as possible, reading about products and regimens, check out a few FOTKIS. Lots of work to do, can be mind boggling and leave you in a turmoil but it really helps to search and read, search and read then search and read some more. Once again, welcome and best wishes.

Welcome Daydreem! :wave:

You sound like you already have a good foundational hair care routine.
There are numerous threads that offer advice for the questions that you pose.

If you haven't done so already, check out this sticky:

Favorite Stickies - [Information to "Live By" :) ]
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=255441
There is SO MUCH valuable information here!

In addition, the search feature is very convenient.
Type in your words of interest, WINTER and POROSITY, to reveal the threads/posts containing information on these subjects. (I just tried it for you... LOTS of good stuff!)

I'm sure you've already gathered that the ladies here have provided a wealth of knowledge, with new information and obeservations being added daily.

I'm confident that you'll find answers, and reach your hair goals! :yep:

Hello all-

:welcome:

I'm relaxed and I loooooove Garnier Fructis products. They are a new staple to my regimen- I use their Anti-Dandruff Shampoo-n-Conditioner in one, it's very creamy, not drying at all!

I got my pre-poo regimen from Traycee (LHCF member & creator of K.I.S.S.) It is for dry-itchy scalp. Here is a link to the recipe: http://keepitsimplesista.blogspot.com/2008/10/top-2-questions-asked.html

$10 for a roller-set?? I'm jealous. I used to go to the Dom for $35, but I had to stop b/c after 6 weeks post, they were too rough on me & my new growth. Now I just do them myself :grin:.

Welcome! It's great to see another new member! :wave:

If you can, keep your hair bunned up. When it's cold, I put a scarf over my hair and then put a hat/knit cap on. I always make sure I put something on my ends, like a conditioner, a leave-in or some serum.

Also, as someone suggested, make sure that you read the "Stickies" that are on the top of the Hair Forum. This is Awesome information that has helped my hair for years! Good luck and happy hair growing!

Back