Hello all

solomorena

Hello all,

I am a pround new member. I see that I have a lot to learn so please bear with me. I would like to get familiar with the lingo on this site. My questions are, so far
1. What is pre-poo and what are the benefits?
2. How do I determine my hair type?
I welcome any and everybody's answers. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi! I'm still kind of new around here as well... I've learned a lot from these ladies.. You've come to the right place! Just curious, are you relaxed or natural and what is you current length?
take pics of your hair or new growth and some of these lovely ladies can help you determine you hair type:)

Hey! I'm new too, and I hope I can be of help:

1. Pre-poo is oil or conditioner that is placed on the hair for several hours (or for some, up to a day) prior to washing to act as a sort of protectant against the stripping effects of some shampoos, while also giving some shine and softness to hair after shampooing.
Some people say that their are no results to be had by prepooing; others swear by it. I find it to be particularly good for new growth: when I haven't been so good with moisturizing (read:been too lazy), I slap on a generous amount of store-bought hair mayo, put on a bit of warmed coconut oil, keep my hair clipped up for a day, and wash with a non-clarifying shampoo. It's like heaven for my hair, and makes detangling a breeze!
I must say, though, that there is no noticeable difference for me on my relaxed hair, and that prepooing is only effective when done prior to a non-clarifying wash. Otherwise, it's pointless.

2. Hair typing is done based on curl pattern ('S', 'Z', 'O', etc), and size of curls (penspring, pencil, etc.). Try to determine these with your own hair, then run a search on hair typing, and use this information to determine your hair type.

Hope I helped, and happy thanksgiving!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.
To answer a few questions, my hair is relaxed, or should I say was relaxed (I have not relaxed in a few months and I am debating if I should stop). I took a picture of the back of my hair and I just uploaded a picture of my roots. I hope they are clear enough.

My hair used to be waist length and after reading so much stuff on here, I realized that I have not been caring for my hair like I used to. I used to be what you would call a copycat. I hung around alot of friends/beauticians/hair care junkies and we tried all kinds of things and I didn't realize the benefits of what we did (protein and keratin treatments, using moisturizing shampoos, leave in conditioners, deep conditioners and low manipulation styles, etc). Now that I have take 2 YEARS and a half to grow out my head of highlights that I didn't take care of, I am ready to get back on track and start a good regimen.

Thanks to the lovely members of LHCF, I am no longer suffering from dry itchy scalp syndrome aka dermatitis. I used the nizoral shampoo last Saturday, and I keep going to the mirror to check for flakes. I can't believe I am not itchy. Ususally, I can't go without having to wash my hair for relief for more than 3 days...Max! It has been 8 years since I felt normal. Sad, I know. Any questions or advice, I welcome.

Back