Having a hard time detangling your natural 4a/b hair on wash day?

petiteNunique

Hi ladies, Im writing this post because i have 4a/b hair and i used to hate having to detangle my hair on wash days!!

I found out about a method of washing my hair and when i say i have no problems detangling my freshly washed natural hair, I have none after finding out this method. Its called the crown and glory method. Heres how to do it and i PROMISE you ladies that you will have such an easier time on wash day...and your hair will still be as clean. You will also have less hair breakage. I hope this helps!! Oh and many of you have commented that you already know about it so i guess this would be for the people who don't know about it. Wish i would have know sooner!

The method:
1) Divide your hair into 6 to 8 sections and braid each section
2)Secure each section with a rubberband or barettes
3)Wash your hair while its in the braids
4)After you wash it, take down one section at a time and detangle it
5)Add conditioner (Personally, I add conditioner to each section one by one and braid it back up again. I then sit up under the dryer for fifteen minutes. Then, i take the braids down and comb each section one at a time and rinse it in the shower.)

Last edited:
This is exactly what I do...well, just started doing in the past few weeks since Im 10 months post with babyfine 4a/4b hair, 1 inch from APL. I absolutely love this technique, while I didnt know this is the crown and glory method. I dont use rubber bands. I use the colored tiny cotton scrunches. Be careful with the rubberbands! I highly recommend watching youtubes Aprilluv7779 on how she detangles her hair, while she doesnt use braids, she does part hair into sections, and always uses olive oil for slip...In video, she demonstrates her method, and just how gentle she is with her hair, its AMAZING!!!

I have 4b/c hair and don't remember having ever a hard-time detangling.
I dividing my hair in 4 sections wit clips.
Wash each sections at a time.(I put off one clip at a time)
and add a condish which providing nice slip to each section for detangling.
So easy.

Hi ladies, Im writing this post because i have 4a/b hair and i used to hate having to detangle my hair on wash days!!

I found a new method of washing my hair and when i say i have no problems detangling my freshly washed natural hair, I have none after finding out this method. Its called the crown and glory method. Heres how to do it and i PROMISE you ladies that you will have such an easier time on wash day...and your hair will still be as clean. You will also have less hair breakage. I hope this helps!!

The method:
1) Divide your hair into 6 to 8 sections and braid each section
2)Secure each section with a rubberband
3)Wash your hair while its in the braids
4)After you wash it, take down one section at a time and detangle it

Washing hair in sections is the only way for me too!!

so some people already knew about this method? Well i'll be darned because i just found out about it. I wish i would have known about it a lot sooner!!

This method makes all the difference in the world for me. Also, instead of bands on the ends, I use those plastic barrettes for little girls. Much less manipulation of the ends this way.

i think it's a great idea, although i would have to be really careful with my edges and hairline/nape as far as braiding goes.

i think i will substitute stockings cut to size for the rubber bands though.

I wash my hair in braids sometimes. Other times I prefer to wash the loose strands. I pretty much wash in four sections whether or not they're officially cordoned off from each other. It's easier to work on one section at a time then move on to the next one than to try and do the whole head at once.

I do something similar. I twist my sections as opposed to braiding and I don't use anything on my ends to secure them. There is no need. I have found my issues with detangling have ceased since doing this method and I have the ladies on this forum to thank for helping me with this problem:).

ETA: I also detangle my hair before washing. And then section/twist after detangling. I find this method easier for me as my hair doesn't agree with being detangled while wet.

Last edited:
This is the Wanakee method and it's what I do only I don't wash in braids. I divide gently into sections after washing/co-washing/dcing with the tail of a rat tailed comb (12 sections) and pin each section up with a curler/plastic clip. I then take down one section at a time add my leave ins, detangle (usually with fingers or a large detangling comb), then either twist or blow-dry on a low to medium setting. Prepping smaller sections may take longer to put in BUT it makes for much easier styling IMHO.

This has not only helped with retention but it's allowed me to keep a good eye on what's going on with my grass.

i better get to doing this, i tried once. my lazy body just tells me wash it as you did before going natural...thats bad! juts washing it all like that. althoug last time i did this i had almost no breakage or not much hair loss. i was gentle and did a good dc

This is not new to most of us. I see that you are new, so I can understand why it can be an exciting revelation to you. Thanks for sharing anyway.

Back