Have you heard of "Magic Straight" perm?

Sweetyb

Have you heard of \"Magic Straight\" perm?

I was talking to an Asian friend of mine about her hair. I found out that her natural hair was not only curly /images/graemlins/shocked.gif, but that she relaxes her hair /images/graemlins/huh.gif. She told me she uses this perm called "Magic Straight" that costs hundreds for the proceedure. She says it makes your hair stick straight and that Jennifer Aniston uses it too for her hair.

All I was thinking was, if only some of our own knew this, there would be less talk about claiming others are trying to "look white" when they perm too.

Well, this probably explains why I've noticed some Asian women with straight hair but appears that their roots are bubbling up under their hair, like it was in need of a press or something.

226hair2.jpg
Article (too long to post): http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/lifestyle/73772_straight.shtml

Has anyone here ever heard of Magic Straight? While some may say its not for "African American hair" (/images/graemlins/huh.gif), has anyone tried it, or know anyone else who has?

Re: Have you heard of \"Magic Straight\" perm?

Is this the same as the therma-straighting process? (or something like this). It sounds similiar. I know alot Hollywood types have used this process which I believe was "invented" in Japan. It too costs hundreds of bucks. I have heard because of the process itself being so drastic that it is HIGHLY not recommended for African American hair. I read somewhere that Miss Naiomi Campbell had it done and it ate out what little bit of hair she allegedly had!

Re: Have you heard of \"Magic Straight\" perm?

Yes, that's exactly what it is. There are Japanese hair salons that perform this treatment on mostly caucasian/asian hair. Yikes, poor Naomi /images/graemlins/frown.gif
-----------------------
From Article:
"How does magic straight differ from regular straightening?

Most salons offer hair straightening, often to reverse previously permed hair. Hair sections are covered with a relaxing paste and combed across long plastic boards. The process takes up to three hours and costs generally around $80 to $100. As its name suggests, it relaxes the curl, but will retain some body. Like regular perms, the process can later cause breakage and dryness.

Magic straight, on the other hand, costs anywhere between $140 and $400 here and can take up to five hours, depending on your hair's length and thickness. It includes some of the relaxing technique but its added steps give hair shine, softness and, well, the straightness that regular straightening doesn't."

Back