Have you ever done a twist out on transitioning hair? Help me do it!

justnotsure

Do you have any pictures of the outcome? I just don't want my hair to be all poofy and curly at the roots and then a mess on the ends!

HELP ME PLEASE!!

I have done it and I am 10 months post. But I dont have any pictures. I did it on freshly washed hair. I moisturized and sealed my ends, and applied diluted lotta body setting lotion. I parted my hair in four sections and began twisting. Since my relax ends are super straight, i applied IC Fantasia holding jel to the ends, and then set them on cold wave rods. The results were really good. Check you tube, there are lot of girls on there who do the twists out. I think the key is to set the ends on rods to make sure that they curl.
HTH!

I'm 10 months post also and just did a flat twistout (first try) on 80% dry hair (see my siggy). I moisturized with shea butter and sealed with coconut oil. Since my hair is sorta layered, I parted my hair from ear to ear. I applied Lottabody Setting Lotion Cream then made 4 flat twists (going back) on the bottom half. I repeated on the top half and curled each flat twist on the yellow perm rods.

ETA: sorry for the blurry picture.

I did braidouts and twistouts. I don't have pics of the twistout though - here's a braid out:

BraidOut-vi.jpg

It's the same process -just sub twists for braids. I do about 10 around my head going back like cornrows. Perm rods don't really work for me, so I twist all the way to the ends, and then pin the ends into pincurls, or bantu knots so they're curly all the way through. A wrapping lotion like lottabody or Foaming pomade on the ends would help too.

I did twist outs through most my transition, along with flat ironing. Here's a picture:

DSC01061-vi.jpg

Perm rods or rollers at the ends were a must.

hey, yeah, during transition i wore flat twist outs, and i use shea butter and coconut oil to moisturize. Perm rods worked for me, but i eventually cut off all the permed ends so i didnt have to deal with the raggedy ends much for long.

waves.jpg

twistout-vi.jpg

n8300812_49168073_3710.jpg

twistout.jpg

now my friend who's relaxed bone straight does twistouts and bantu knots and they work well for her, here are some pics (i hope she doesn't mind)

this is her hair straightened:
n7935635_43641466_9731.jpg

here are pics of her twistouts/bantu knots

n7935635_50104322_590.jpg

n7935635_51659468_4038079.jpg

her on the left:
2837_539695014731_3000729_32035438_3436055_n.jpg

Last edited:
Oh I love these pics! thanks guys for the inspiration! I was getting a little skeptical about it, but now after reviewing all these gorgeous pics, I'm back on board! I'll be sure to take pictures and post them to let you know how it turned out....well, only if it turns out good! LOL

i wanted to clarify that i added pics of my friend to demonstrate that even straight hair can get a knot out/twist out/braid out style, it's just technique. so even at your stage, you can get the look you want. i wanted to send some ideas/inspiration your way.

I think using perm rods will help, it helped me before i trimmed. use a hair creme and/or oil and youll avoid the frizzies. I set mine over night on wet hair. I flat twisted against my scalp and used castor oil on the ends with the rods. I sat under the dryer for an hour then went to sleep and hoped it dries by morning.

just in case, i contacted my friend, (she lurks on LHCF) and this is the vid tut she uses for her knot out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfFcvZTYTWA

i guess if you youtubed some vids, theyd be seriously helpful also.

i hope i could help, good luck!

Last edited:
Back