Has anyone used a heating cap when RELAXING hair?

Raven

In considering how thermal reconditioning is always called a no-no for "African-American" hair due to the searing heat of the ceramic flat iron over the relaxing solution, I was wondering...

Would a lye relaxer "take" better if you place a heating cap over your head while the relaxer is on your hair - to get to the cortex more? Would that be a modified way of thermally reconditioning and reducing puffiness and frizz, minus searing heat? I always hear about the benefits of heat. I wonder what effect moderate heat would have on relaxing hair. I'm not talking about rip-roaring heat like a flat iron, just a heating cap.

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts on this?
confused.gif

I know I would never do this on my hair. The purpose of a relaxer is to straighten the hair (or loosen the curl - depending on how long it's kept in the hair). So, I just don't get what the heat would be used for since the relaxer does all the work.

Sounds interesting indeed... but it also sounds like it would burn to high heaven... if you try it, let us know how it works. but I tend to think relaxers do a well enough job without heat.

Relaxers relax, but you still have to blowdry and iron to get the hair completely straight and frizz-free.

The chemical solution for thermally reconditioning is (if I am not mistaken) a thio-based product, which is a chemical that straightens hair by itself.

The stylist uses a ceramic flat iron over hair soaked with the relaxer solution to FURTHER straighten the hair to silkiness. It's the difference between straight and silky. One would think that hair in the 1-2 range wouldn't need heat, only a relaxer, but the stylist always uses a flat iron as part of the thermal reconditioning process, as it is the final step that makes all the difference.

I was just wondering if using a little heat when relaxing would produce a better relaxing result. Does anyone know what I mean?

Disclaimer: I am NOT telling anyone to do this. I am simply asking for thoughts and to know if anyone has. Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
Relaxers relax, but you still have to blowdry and iron to get the hair completely straight and frizz-free.

[/ QUOTE ]
One can do a roller set vs. using a blow dryer and iron to get the hair completely straight and frizz-free.

Raven,

[ QUOTE ]
I was just wondering if using a little heat when relaxing would produce a better relaxing result. Does anyone know what I mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can tell you about the use of a hair dryer. This is by far one of the worst relaxer stories I've heard from a friend. One of her co-workers went to a salon for a touch-up. The stylist applied the relaxer to her hair with no manipulation whatsover and then put her underneath the dryer for about 20 minutes while she styled a few other clients. This woman had NEVER heard of such a method and wondered about it, but apparently trusted this woman. Result: She lost a good portion of her hair when the relaxer was rinsed out.

I would not go near a heating cap with a ten-foot pole in terms of using it with a relaxer!

~Jade~

What about that regular plastic cap with no heat theory? Is that purpose to produce a very small amount of heat on it's own?

Yikes about the blowdryer!

I'm wondering if it was the heat that made her lose her hair or the heat combined with the force of the air, plus the chemical.

I have VERY weird, super-resilient hair. I've done all kinds of stuff to it in the name of experimentation and yet, my hair resists breakage. It's a few inches past my shoulders.

Again, I'm not talking about searing heat - just a little warmth to sorta work the relaxer further into the cortex. I am crazy enough to be my own guinea pig. I can post my results if you'd like. I'll do it on June 7th, when I can get to Sally's and get a heating cap.

Wow, I feel so daring! I can just imagine all of your eyes as big as saucers right now. LOL!

I know what you mean. But I still agree that it's a bad idea.

The theory makes some sense (heat does aid in the penetration of any product - including colors and conditioners, and yes, maybe relaxers too) but sodium and calcium hydroxide are EXTREMELY harsh chemicals (and incidentally are completely different than those used in thermal reconditioning) and palyign with them too much is so dnagerous that I'd never consider this.

I think relaxers aren't designed to be used this way for a very good reason. Granted - I couldn't begin to know what that reason is in particular - but I do know this - chemicals and heat are both volatile ingredients and mixing them when it IS advised is a tricky endeavor and must be done with care. Mixing them where it's NOT advised could mean disaster - and it's one I'd never wish on anyone. The images that my mind conjures alone scare me...

But that's just my opinion.

Okay, I am a former hairstylist and this is the first time that I have posted on this particular board. I strongly encourage you NOT TO USE HEAT WITH A RELAXER. Heat will intensify the effects of what is essentially a caustic (burn)chemical - in other words, you will put yourself at risk for hair loss and possibly permanently damage to your scalp. Do not take the risk!

My stylist told me about a another stylist who used heat while relaxing. The customer burned her scalp is unable to grow hair in certain places, not to mention that all of the hair in the affected areas fell out. I wouldn't use heat....

-monique

Thanks Honey.
smile.gif
This doesn't sound like something that should be done. I would imagine that if there were some sort of benefit to it, hairdressers all over would have been doing this a long time ago.
smile.gif

I wasn't talking about SEARING heat, y'all! Just a little warmer than if you were to put a shower cap on. I meant slight WARMTH, not intense heat. And furthermore, I didn't mean leave it on the entire relaxing time, just 5 minutes or so. I should have explained myself better.

Running a 350 degree ceramic flat iron over a relaxer chemical on type 1-2 hair doesn't sound like it would work, but yet it does.

I'm going to try the warmth technique and see if I like the results. If anyone cares to hear my results, just say the word and I'll come back with a report.

And yes, I was one of those kids who always took moderate risks and came out unscathed.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Honey.
smile.gif
This doesn't sound like something that should be done. I would imagine that if there were some sort of benefit to it, hairdressers all over would have been doing this a long time ago.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
D I T T O !

Well good luck! Unfortunately, I've had to really struggle with my hair to get it to where it is now, so I'm not much of a risk taker when it comes to hair. I hope it works out for you.
smile.gif

I'm just curious, How old are you Raven? There's a few teenagers on the board and Ii'm just curious.

Yes, I'd very much like to hear what happens. I myself would never try this but I'm curious to know your results... I see what your saying and it appears to make sense and all but it just sounds like it's going to burn really bad. Relaxers get the hair very straight so I'm not sure how much straighter you're trying to get it.

But Good Luck and I hope nothing major goes wrong.... When will you be doing this?

Raven: You seem to be likening this to thermal reconditioning and I just want to make sure you understand that It's a different chemical ALTOGETHER that is used in traditional relaxers. That chemical IS NOT the same as the one used in thermal reconditioning...
So any heat, any at all - searing, mildly warm ,or otherwise - will most likely NOT yeild the same results as the thermal reconditioning technique...and even that technique's success is not yet time tested on ethnic, textured hair.

Try it if you must, but please be very careful. I'm a bit of a daredevil myself, but this is too much even for me...

May the force be with you gurl!
laugh.gif

Let us know how it turns out.

The instructions that come on the relaxer jar and in the kit specifically states to not use heat ("Hot combs or other heated implements") with the relaxer.

My hair is pretty strong and reslient, but even I wouldn't try the plastic cap for additional warmth idea.

Let us know how this works out and post before/after pictures please.

Not a problem – I have actually learned a lot from this board myself and I think it’s great that we can come together and exchange information. All of us have the goal of healthy hair (whatever the length) and in order to do that we need to treat our hair and scalp with TLC.

Raven,
It seems as if you're very intent on doing this and nothing that we say can dissuade you. All I ask is that you try a strand test first. I would work with more than one strand. I'm a daredevil myself and I probably would have tried something like this a couple years ago. I've worked too hard to get to where I now am. I wouldn't touch this idea witha 10 foot pole.

good luck to you though.

Hi Raven... I've always lurked but just wanted to clear up a misconception. Last week I had my 3B hair thermally reconditioned (which I love!). The thermal reconditoning process involves many steps. First my hair was sectioned and a chemical was applied. I sat with it on for about 15 minutes. Then the chemical WAS COMPLETELY WASHED OUT and my hair was blow dried (not straight or anything... just for about 5 minutes to dry and I had a big fro). Then my hair was flat ironed section by section but with NO chemical on it. Then after my hair was completely straight a second chemcical was applied. When that was rinsed out I had completely straight hair (and yes it is wash and go). At no point during the process was heat applied to my hair when a chemical was on it. I think using heat during a relaxer is a very dangerous idea. HTH. -Ashley
drunk.gif

Ashley....

How is your hair doing with the TR....is it healthy still? Have you had traditional relaxers applied? How do they compare?

Hi Tracy... Yes my hair is still very healthy. I had no breakage and no dryness. I used to have my hair relaxed but never completely straight by choice. (I would usually wear my hair curly and then have to blow dry to straighten it) I then started experimenting around too much with color (and bleach) and during my last touch up most of my hair broke off when the relaxer was rinsed out. I swore then I would never put another chemical on my hair. This was in June of last year. I then grew out my natural hair (I currently have about 6 inches from root to tip and its heavily layered) and cut off all the relaxed parts. Recently I became very frustrated with my hair and started researching thermal reconditioning. After I went to a consultation (luckily one of the "experts" lives in my area) I decided to go for it. It was a very hard decision because I didn't have any chemical or color in my hair and I really wanted to keep my promise. Plus my hair is pretty short and layered since I cut all the relaxed hair off. I was also very scared. (Even though I didn't experience any burning (and I always did with relaxers) when he washed the first chemical out of my hair I freaked out and asked if all my hair had fallen off. He gave me the strangest look...
grin.gif
). Anyways I am very happy with my decision. My hair is completely straight and it takes me only about 10 mins to do in the morning. It feels and looks healthy as well. HOWEVER I don't know if I am going to do it again. It is VERY expensive (plus when I got there he decided to put on an extra "curl softener" similar to a rusk anti-curl to make the process turn out better. He didn't charge me this time because he had already quoted me one price, but it'll be more next time.) I'll have to see how hard it is to maintain once the roots come in. I won't have to make that decision for awhile though considering I only relaxed about once every six months because my roots are straight for about two inches when they first come in. I am glad that I did it just this once, because I was so curious... HTH... didn't mean to write so much... Ashley
drunk.gif

Oh no Ashley I am thrilled you wrote so much!
grin.gif
That wasa great review! It's nice to know that this procedure is even possible on textured hair.

As far as I know this is the first review we've had to date on the board from someone who'd actualyl done it!

I'm so happy it went well for you! Good luck going forward.
smile.gif

Re: Thermal Reconditioning

Hey Ashley,

I'm happy to hear the process worked so well for you! Where did you get it done (in what city, just out of curiosity) and how much did it cost, if you don't mind sharing?

Best wishes,
Lucky

Back