Has anybody had a problem with a shampoo/conditioner that straightened their hair?

all_1_length

And no this was not intentional but yesterday for the first time I realized that my shampoo/conditioner must have straightened my natural hair. I mean my hair is almost bone straight. I did a wash yesterday and allowed my hair to air dry in twists. After drying I took my hair down and BOOM it was straight, no leav-ins no detangling or combing. I have never known my hair to be straight after drying without a relaxer and I haven't had one of those for about 11 years.

This was such a gradual process because I really didn't notice my hair getting straighter in the beginning. First it was easier to detangle like one pass through the comb easy. I could detangle my hair in the shower with my fingers, no combing necessary. Then my hair wouldn't need any heat to straighten it, all I needed to do was a roller set, air dry my hair and afterwards I could comb my hair out and it would be straighter.

My hair has always been fine stranded but I can remember having curls like 3c/4a curls all over my head. Now when I wash my hair can't find one curl. If I wet my hair it will shrink back but my springy curls are gone. I know I don't have heat damage because I barely use any heat at all. I must have flat ironed my hair about 4 or 5 times within the past year and I only do 1 pass keeping the heat around 325-350 degrees. I use my blow dryer on the coolest setting to dry my hair.

I am soooo pissed right now because I have been on my hair journey for about 2 years and it seems like I thought that I had overcome most of the problems that were giving me trouble with my hair but now this has thrown a monkey wrench in my entire program. This has totally changed the perception of my hair and what my problems are maintaining healthy hair.

My hair texture has really changed. It's much thinner now and more fragile. It breaks so easily that I have sworn off combing and brushing. I really don't know what to do. Is my hair relaxed now? Do I have to transition to get my hair back to normal? Will my hair break off more if I stop using said products and allow my natural hair to grow back in? Is this change permanent or will my curls grow back in time? I really don't know.

Re: Has anybody had a problem with a shampoo/conditioner that straightened their hair

Can you list the hair products you use?

Re: Has anybody had a problem with a shampoo/conditioner that straightened their hair

I mostly use Neutrogena Triple Moisture shampoo and conditioner. Sometimes I would switch to Kera Care Hydrating Shampoo and Humecto conditioner but I think my problem was with the Neutrogena. I really don't use many leave-ins maybe macadamia healing oil treatment when I blow dry. I'd use It's a 10 leave in conditioner to moisturize my hair and a little coconut oil to seal.

These are the ingredients in the

Shampoo:

Water, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Chloride, Cocamide MEA, Meadowfoam (Laminates Alba) Seed Oil, Olive (Olea Europaea) Fruit Oil, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Sodium Benzotriazolyl Butylphenol, Sulfonate, Polyquaternium-7, Amodimethicone, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Castor Isostearate Succinate, Dimethiconol, Sweet Almond (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis) Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Cetyl Alcohol, Guar (Cyamopsis Tetragonoloba) Gum, Citric Acid, TEA Dodecylbenzenesulfonate, Fragrance

Conditioner:

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Behenyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Amodimethicone, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cetrimonium Chloride, Panthenol, Sweet Almond (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis) Oil , Olive (Olea Europaea) Fruit Oil, Meadowfoam (Limnanthes Alba) Seed Oil, Glycol Stearate, Ceteth - 2, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Citric Acid, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide, Mica, Fragrance

I dont see anything that can straighten your hair.... There has to be some other explanation for your hair...

Supergirl can you look at these ingredients and chime in?

I used the Triple Mositure at one point myself, but not long enough to notice any straightening. I definitely understand how you feel I was on my natural hair care journey for 3 years then I had to cut because of one horrific event where I got it flat ironed (bone straight) and it NEVER came back. I cut it about 2 months ago. I am sorry to hear that your hair went throughh this. It is very heartbreaking to have to cut. My hair was at the longest it had been in a long while- grazing the shoulders past the neck...it was an awkward length to describe, but it was GROWTH from 3 years. I bit the bullet and cut it. The damage I saw from 3 years of learning plus this flat iron event. My hair was DONE. Good thing is that we can start again, smarter and wiser than before.

judy4all I thought the same thing and looked at the ingredients list for anything like sodium hydroxide or calcium hydroxide but didn't see anything either. i haven't fully researched it yet but I felt that it was the neutrogena because I could feel my hair detangleing more every time I used it in the shower. It was like I felt my hair straighten once I put the product in it. Any other time my hair would shrink and curl up not straighten. This never happened with any other product. Another thing is I don't have a regular wash schedule so I wouldn't use this product on a weekly basis but I have been using it more as of late. Since I have been using this exclusively my hair has gotten straighter and thinner.

Have you tried doing a hard protein treatment and switching products for a while to gauge if your hair reverts?

Yes. I thought about using Aphogee products but that's mostly to prevent breakage.

Perhaps try a ACV rinse to get your coils back. I read someone did this on here while I was searching ACV rinses.

I'm not natural, but I think you might be suffering from too much moisture.

Are you taking any type of medication? Have you changed your environment? Are you going through hormonal changes? Have you been sick lately? Have you changed your diet? I'm trying to think of some things that might affect your hair. I've heard ladies who take MSM say it changes their new growth hair texture but I have not experienced this while taking MSM. You might want to see a Dermatologist if it has you concerned. Have you been exposed to formaldehyde or anything? Perhaps you should switch to another shampoo or conditioner, maybe something more natural from the health food store to see if that helps. Sorry sis. I know how those setbacks feel. I hope you figure out what's going on. Keep us informed.

I suggest clarifying and doing the Aphogee two-step. If that doesn't help, start incorporating more protein in your regimen. Use something like SheScentIt's Okra Reconstructor weekly as a pre-poo.

It sounds like you hair has had a very drastically strange (and horrible!) reaction to the cones and moisture in the NTM. I'm thinking that maybe you not only have buildup, but also moisture overload.

I don't think there will be a quick fix for this. Just as your hair took time to become what it is now, it will take time to get it back to how it was. I honestly don't believe that all is lost. Try the protein for a few weeks and document how your hair looks and feels after each time. Hopefully you'll start to see improvements soon. :bighug:

Clarify your hair and then do a protein treatment, see if that helps.

I'm just throwing this out there because I've never heard of anything like this. But is there anyone around you that wanted you to relax your hair? Because it sounds like somebody put something in your shampoo/conditioner.

Why are you so sure it's not heat damage? Many people get heat damage after only 1 time. Even with lower heat, maybe your hair just can't take it -- especially if you've done it multiple times over the past year.

Either that or someone slipped something in your shampoo or condish as suggested. I seriously doubt the Neutrogena or Keracare products straightened your hair.

I'm just throwing this out there because I've never heard of anything like this. But is there anyone around you that wanted you to relax your hair? Because it sounds like somebody put something in your shampoo/conditioner.

Wow. I hadn't even thought of that! Horrible. :nono: I sincerey hope this isn't the case.

Good Post!!! A while back, somebody created a thread warning women about certain Dominican salons that were slipping a bit of relaxer in their conditioners. So you never know!

Good Post!!! A while back, somebody created a thread warning women about certain Dominican salons that were slipping a bit of relaxer in their conditioners. So you never know!
Wow, this is awful. What a shame.

My sister's type 3 hair does this with certain products. She can not use any of the kinky curly products at all because they straighten her hair. On my 4c hair -products that detangle my hair tend to straighten her type 3 hair.

Thank u everyone for the response. I clarified/chelated with Kenra Shampoo yesterday because I thought that I had build-up from all the products that I was using. Tomorrow I will do an Aphogee two step hard protein and see how that goes.

Honey Bee I thought about that but I don't keep up with my moisturizing like I'm supposed to (bad I know) so I instinctively thought that product build up must be at work. My hair can be sensitive to protein so I do it about once a month to help me retain moisture. If I can handle more then I'll try doing a moderate protein treatment more often.

prettyinpurple Yeah I'm sure it's not heat damage. I try not to use heat anymore because I did have some damage but that was in a particular spot and not my entire head. This is really weird type of thing going on, I've never experienced straightness like this before. I don't think the Keracare was the culprit but the Neutrogena. It may not be an ingredient that is straightening my hair but the level of moisture (the triple moisture poo & condish are very moisturizing). I probably do have moisture overload. I have heard of it but I don't know what mushy hair feels like so it just might be that.

@Brighteyes35 Nothing has been going on that's been out of the ordinary. Although I can't rule out the psoriasis that I have (had in my scalp) I don't think that that is making an reappearance.

@*Cherry Pie* Ha ha ha, no. There is nobody in my house that wishes that I had a relaxer. I did hear about the Dominican salons that were adding relaxers to conditioners but I don't visit salons anymore so...

@Ann0804 Did your sister's hair revert back or were the effects permanent?

Thanks everybody. I'll do my protein treatment tommow and report how that goes.

Shampoo:

Water, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Chloride, Cocamide MEA, Meadowfoam (Laminates Alba) Seed Oil, Olive (Olea Europaea) Fruit Oil, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Sodium Benzotriazolyl Butylphenol, Sulfonate, Polyquaternium-7, Amodimethicone, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Castor Isostearate Succinate, Dimethiconol, Sweet Almond (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis) Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Cetyl Alcohol, Guar (Cyamopsis Tetragonoloba) Gum, Citric Acid, TEA Dodecylbenzenesulfonate, Fragrance

Conditioner:

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Behenyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Amodimethicone, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cetrimonium Chloride, Panthenol, Sweet Almond (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis) Oil , Olive (Olea Europaea) Fruit Oil, Meadowfoam (Limnanthes Alba) Seed Oil, Glycol Stearate, Ceteth - 2, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Citric Acid, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide, Mica, Fragrance

I dont see anything that can straighten your hair.... There has to be some other explanation for your hair...

@Supergirl can you look at these ingredients and chime in?

I see silicones and oils. If you have fine hair, with bigger curls or waves these can stretch out and look straight or straighter when coated with oils, silicones or waxes. Also depending on what else OP is doing to her hair - e.g. blow drying, ironing, or wearing pulled back into buns, etc., some hair can "train" faster when you think. So just some theories. If it's just a question of build up then OP's hair might get curlier when she clarifies.

Shampoo:

Conditioner:

Supergirl can you look at these ingredients and chime in?

The shampoo looks pretty good. It does contain a couple of cones, but they are far down on the list and one of the cones is semi-water soluble.

The conditioner, on the other hand, has a cone as the second, third, and fourth ingredients. I'd steer clear.

ETA: Sorry, I was just evaluating ingredient lists without paying attention to the context of the entire thread. I don't see anything in these ingredients that would cause the hair to become straight over time.

Last edited:

Response to: @Ann0804 Did your sister's hair revert back or were the effects permanent?

Yes, it did revert back to curly after she washed it. She was afraid that it wouldn't but it did.

Back