Hard Roots After Relaxing

AlliCat

So I relaxed my hair after 14 weeks post last night. Everything went well and I did my usual routine. Hair came out smooth and soft as usual. Now, it's the next day and my roots are HARD :huh: Like super hard. Why?? The only thing different about this relaxing process is that I used JBCO to base my scalp (we ran out of vaseline). I also noticed my scalp started tingling so I rinsed out the relaxer earlier. OH and I didn't put any products on my hair after rinsing out the DC, so I expect it to be a little dry, but my roots are SOLID, what did I do wrong?? :perplexed :ohwell:

I don't think castor oil was a good base. That stuff is pretty thick, it doesn't spread well and I doubt it provides the barrier that Vaseline does.

May I ask why you didn't put leave-ins in your hair? That's probably the main culprit! Besides DCing, moisturizing leave-ins help restore your hair after any wash, but especially after a relaxer. That's all I can think of....

^ The roots are still hard. I think they will be until I wash my hair, which wont be for a while. My roots are literally CRISPY...and I don't think the lack of leave-ins is the culprit....anyway the only reason im not freaking out is because it doesn't hurt, and my hair is still on my head :ohwell:

It sounds like the JBCO put a barrier around the hair and caused you to be underprocessed, your cuticles are still open. You may want to consider a corrective in the near future or else your hair will start breaking. If you dont do a corrective then consider using a product with serum that will encase your strands and help prevent breakage.

This hard hair you are talking about is what happened to me not too long ago and my hair broke left and right, until I did a corrective. I still have a very small sliver of hair that is still underprocessed but I remedy that by not combing often, because I felt one corrective was enough.

I relaxed on Saturday at 13 weeks post with ORS Lye Regular and the same thing happened to me!! I based my scalp with hair grease and used HE LTR leave in after DC-ing. I don't have any suggestions on why it happened or how to prevent the crispiness. Do you think your scalp was burned a little? That was my first assumption when I noticed that my roots were hard. :-/

It sounds like the JBCO put a barrier around the hair and caused you to be underprocessed.

I agree about the JBCO. This has happened to me too. Next few washes consider a protein treatment to keep that hair strong, follow with a moisturizing deep conditioner (with heat or a steam treatment), and then finish off with a porosity balancer.

Thats happened to me the past few times i visited the salon. And yes my hair was breaking. I really though it was something I did wrong. I thought that the relaxer wasn't rinsed out properly. But now I know that the problem wasn't me.
So to the OP, it really seems like your hair was under processed, like mines. Its crazy because I was experiencing new growth like two weeks later. SMH at these corny stylists!!!

I believe the NO -LYE did it to me when i was using it or u OVER-PROCESS YA HAIR AT SCALP after i relaxe i feel my scalp kinda hard at scalp but i just leave it along untill the next wash day i dnt think its NOTHING

This is what I experienced. After a few days it just got worse and the tangles got worse. It was as though I didn't put a relaxer in and I had to be super careful so as not to cause breakage. After 4 weeks I had had enough so I did a corrective and my hair has been fine ever since. It was after a very long stretch as well.

So I relaxed my hair after 14 weeks post last night. Everything went well and I did my usual routine. Hair came out smooth and soft as usual. Now, it's the next day and my roots are HARD :huh: Like super hard. Why?? The only thing different about this relaxing process is that I used JBCO to base my scalp (we ran out of vaseline). I also noticed my scalp started tingling so I rinsed out the relaxer earlier. OH and I didn't put any products on my hair after rinsing out the DC, so I expect it to be a little dry, but my roots are SOLID, what did I do wrong?? :perplexed :ohwell:
Are you saying that your hair feels like you did not relax it -- rough, thick, dry ng? I ask because my last touch up didn't seem to take so well in some areas and was just trying to get a better understanding.

It sounds like the JBCO put a barrier around the hair and caused you to be underprocessed, your cuticles are still open. You may want to consider a corrective in the near future or else your hair will start breaking. If you dont do a corrective then consider using a product with serum that will encase your strands and help prevent breakage.

This hard hair you are talking about is what happened to me not too long ago and my hair broke left and right, until I did a corrective. I still have a very small sliver of hair that is still underprocessed but I remedy that by not combing often, because I felt one corrective was enough.
MJ, you know my story. It seems like a portion of my hair took (got straight) better in some areas than the other. The not so good areas are still thick, although the touch up straightened that area out somewhat -- it didn't get bonelaxed like normal though. I haven't noticed much breakage but I PS and just leave it alone...however, as a general question....can you get by without doing a corrective and the hair still be okay (limited to no breakage) until the next touchup, provided you keep it well moisturized and low manipulation.

MJ, you know my story. It seems like a portion of my hair took (got straight) better in some areas than the other. The not so good areas are still thick, although the touch up straightened that area out somewhat -- it didn't get bonelaxed like normal though. I haven't noticed much breakage but I PS and just leave it alone...however, as a general question....can you get by without doing a corrective and the hair still be okay (limited to no breakage) until the next touchup, provided you keep it well moisturized and low manipulation.

Yes, you can get by without doing a corrective if you are not experiencing any breakage. I am right now underprocessed (texlaxed in many areas) the areas that I like are smooth and dont break. I did a corrective before to get it this way, before it was hard and super curly and was breaking all over the place.

NOw the area that I mentioned that is still hard is the section that I just leave alone because it is such a small section. I will run the relaxer over this area during one of my next TU because it is breaking no matter what I do. I dont comb often, so that helps. But when I do comb I get breakage, too much breakage can cause thinning and it will take me longer to reach my goal because I will have to trim more often.

Myjourney2009 I have a question about your comment... can you explain this? does being underprocessed mean your cuticles are opened?

Myjourney2009 I have a question about your comment... can you explain this? does being underprocessed mean your cuticles are opened?

When we chemically process our hair with bleach, perm. dye or relaxers our shaft has to open in order to get processed.

Depending on the level of the hair being under processed the hair can become hard. All underprocessed hair does not become hard but I've had an experience when my hair did and it was not fun I had a lot of breakage until I corrected it.

My best guest with JBCO being a humectant and can be absorbed by your skin and hair is that you opened up your pours for one which caused you to irritate early in the relaxer process. Vasaline/ protoleum based products just sit on top of the scalp and hair actually protecting you from the chemical. While castor oil is more of a carrier oil...allowing the chemicals to come deeper into your scalp and possible hair shaft. Now your roots are probably hard because the castor oil acted as an accelerator and they may be over processed.

Do not do a corrective right now...watch your hair closely to see how it responds to protein and moisture treatments...for now just moisturize and baby your roots.

ETA: Ooops I didn't notice how old this thread is!!!! :lachen:

Last edited:
When we chemically process our hair with bleach, perm. dye or relaxers our shaft has to open in order to get processed.

Depending on the level of the hair being under processed the hair can become hard. All underprocessed hair does not become hard but I've had an experience when my hair did and it was not fun I had a lot of breakage until I corrected it.

But dont the cuticles close back up when you neutralize?

Sent from my ADR6400L

Back