Hard Lessons you learned about doing your hair

lthomas1

Hair Power!
I had a hairdresser burn off the length of my hair a few years ago. It eventually grew back, but I never returned to a salon again. I learned not to trust anyone more than I trust myself when it comes down to my hair.
look.gif

its no wonder I never had any hair as a teen, I was never taught how to do my hair at all. I used to get mad at my mom for not putting a perm in my hair when it started to get "nappy" so I started perming it myself (whole head every couple of months) probably at about 15. On top of that, I used a blow dryer and curling iron DAILY...first to blow dry it straight, then to curl it...lol. I had a couple of short Halle Berry cuts that my mom would never send me back to the salon to maintain, so they grew out on their own, scraggly of course, and never past my neck with short "layers"(aka BREAKAGE!)....

When I have kids Im going to do their hair till they are a teenager, then teach them how to do their hair so hopefully they dont go around looking a mess like I used to!

Since I finally got a clue a little over a year ago when I cut it off and started over, I know I have the potential to have a nice full head of hair and I will!

Relaxing hair after removing braids/cornrows is a HUGE MISTAKE!!! I would end up with scalp burns for weeks after.

1. there is no possible way that a fine tooth rattail comb can go through my new growth without causing pain and mental anguish.

2. Never let a jealous woman do my hair. I think I'd prefer a male instead.

3. I don't care who it is... just don't trust a stylist in general. Last time I did, 2 1/2 inches of healthy hair was on the floor.
---
The best recipe for taking care of my hair was to "listen" to my hair and not other people. i know more about my hair than a stranger does
smile.gif

Overprocessing (from roots to end) every 3-4 weeks

Excessive Heat (flat ironing everyday..maybe even twice/three times in one day)

Lack of moisture (I thought a little oil sheen would do the trick)

..those were my main damages

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Speak up when you feel the hair stylist is doing something wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is one i'm still trying to master

[ QUOTE ]
alliyah4eva203 said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Speak up when you feel the hair stylist is doing something wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is one i'm still trying to master

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto.

Doing a relaxer myself, I burned off the whole front of one side of my hair. I cried for days. It has now grown back but I will never give myself a relaxer again.One side of my hair is shorter than the other side.

-get a trim, makes your hair look much healthier.
-moisturize, especially while surging.
-poo only once a week
-scalp massages are great
-not to clog the pores with heavy products

Ive realized that I may have to go back to relaxing every six weeks. By eight weeks for some reason, furious itching sets in and I have to keep delaying a relaxer cause of scratching. My hair looks a hot mess right now, full of newgrowth and underprocessed hair.

Combing or detangling my hair when I'm in a rush. Too much hair in the comb afterwards and a very sore scalp. I've learned to be very patient with my hair.

[ QUOTE ]
lthomas1 said:
I learned not to trust anyone more than I trust myself when it comes down to my hair.
look.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This applies to me too. I have had one too many bone-straight relaxers done by stylists enough to know that it is not good for my hair. I cannot wait to start relaxing my own hair.

Chichi
bdance.gif

-Not to trust everyone who has a liscense to do hair...they can still make mistakes and offer bad hair care advice
-Not to relax every six weeks
-That the less is more philosophy is a good one (i.e. no elaborate styles etc... has helped me retain more length)
-Not to let the opinions of others influence my decisions about what to do with my hair /Taking control of my own hair (i.e. Stretching out relaxers even if friends laugh about puffy edges, not letting scissor-happy stylists chop my hair off just because they say I need a trim etc...)

No permanent colors. EVER.
No micros, unless I feel like caring for them, which I don't, so no micros.
Less combing, more leaving it be
smile.gif

Don't go to a stylist for touchups when you know how to do them yourself. You might just end up losing all the hair you came in to the salon with.

I've learned to be very cautious in selecting the stylist to do my actual touch-up, because I now realize that, at any time, I am just ONE BAD TOUCH-UP from near or total disaster!
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
KhaLesSta said:
Combing or detangling my hair when I'm in a rush. . . . I've learned to be very patient with my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Carlie said:
[ QUOTE ]
KhaLesSta said:
Combing or detangling my hair when I'm in a rush. . . . I've learned to be very patient with my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep...esp after you've just taken your braids out. I would be so impatient by that point that I'd just start ripping through my hair, which hadn't been moisturised the whole time....big no-no.

oh, lots.

1) too much heat = baaaad
2) overlapping relaxers = baaaad the sequel
3) product overload = baaaad 3: return of the sucky hair
4) moisturize! moisturize! moisturize!
5) let your hair breathe! [i'd keep my hair under a scarf for daaaaays because i was lazy]
6) keep my hair clean

sometimes i'd do a ton to my hair and other times i wouldn't do anything to it and neither is good for my hair. don't neglect it, but don't overdo it.

there are still plenty of things i'm learning about haircare.

not to comb my hair when dry, its near impossible

not to plait too tight.

how to apply products to my hair properly. I used to just apply it to the ends of my hair and not the roots, hence horrible hair. This was a major problem in learning how to look after my hair.

moisturising frequently. didn't know water was my buddy

<font color="blue"> no more individual braids for me. No direct heat. Keep hair moisturized. Wash hair 1-2 times per week. Take my vitamins for overall health </font>

Protein was actually good for my hair. Whenever I used them I would end up with hard hair and therefore stayed away from those product for many years. My hair grew but it was weak. I didn't know that reconstructors should be followed up with a moisturizing one.

Thank God for LHCF!
smile.gif

I have learned:
-to be extra careful when detangling or undoing twists
-I can only detangle when wet and in small sections
-my hair has thrived since I gave up using heat 3 years ago
-less is more

I have learned--
1. No more harsh colors no matter how beautiful they are
2. No more heat
3. No more inexperienced stylists--stick with someone who is tried, true and trusted!!!!

1. Less is MORE. The less I do, the more (better) my hair behaves.
-- less heat = more (better) stronger hair
-- less styling stuff = more (better) bouncy hair
-- less combing/handling = more (better) hair on my head because no shedding
-- less relaxing = more (better) longer hair by stretching time between touchups
-- less shampoo and more conditioner washes = more (better) moisturized hair

2. Keep hair clean by washing at least once a week. This was not a hard lesson because I've ALWAYS done this since I'm a clean hair freak but it's good to know I did SOMETHING right in the pre-board days . . .

-No Dominican blow outs for me
-Moisture Moisture is what my hair needs
-Stay away from heat
-Stay away from products with alcohol (learned that in high school)
-Weaves are no good for me
-Wear my hair up (hard to get used to but I'm fine with it now)
-NEVER LEAVE MY HAIR OUT IN THE WINTER
-Turtlenecks that rub against the nape are a no no
naughty.gif

-Oils are a must for me
-NO COMBING THRU
-Speak up when I don't like what someone is doing to my hair
-No need trim every six weeks unless my hair is spliting

I have learned that I probably just shouldn't do my own hair at all.
ohwell.gif

Back