Hair with the longest layer on top rather than bottom, looks longer?

kgard7777

I am noticing when people have long layers from the top of their head rather than at the bottom. Overall their hair appears much long than someone which has the longest layers at the bottom? Can someone shed some light on why this is? I think SweetCashew mentioned this as well.

I know what you mean-My length comes from the bottom layer not the top layer.I was just looking for sweetcashews reasoning on this.Maybe this is why I have hair anorexia:drunk:

I guess so...Who knows, maybe that would work. My length comes from the bottom half of my hair. Those layers really look long. I had some issues with breakage at the top and front in 2006 before I found the board. It was caused by weaves and braids. Maybe some extra attention will speed up growth at the very crown and front.

Hmmm, I would think that hair with longer layers in the back give the appearance of longer hair, but hair with longer layers on the top give the appearance of fuller hair...

Hi Ladies :wave:

The reason why the hair looks longer is because it is longer.

E.g. Two women both have bra-strap length hair but one has her length on the bottom and one has her length from the top.
For the top layer to reach bra-strap it has to be a lot longer than the bottom layer.

I've measured strands from the top/middle of my head that are around 30 inches long, whereas I have strands at the bottom and nape that are barely 20 inches.

I've noticed that women with evenly cut hair that is all one length, their hair looks a lot longer than women with deep layers. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I would think that hair with longer layers in the back give the appearance of longer hair, but hair with longer layers on the top give the appearance of fuller hair...

ITA! This is the case for me...the bottom "layers" are much longer than the top and when straightened, my hair doesn't really look full like it should. :nono:

Yes! She has spoken lol that makes perfect sense.. Well I guess we need to make a challenge of growing our top layer longer until it catches up with the bottom :)

So, how you do get the bottom layer to grow? My middle is longer than my bottom. Lately, I have just been moisturizing the section more.

Don't worry about the bottom layer... its the top layers that matter because your hair will look fuller and in turn longer... :)

I forgot to mention, I don't have layers. I have blunt ends and my hair is thick. I am trying to get my nape hair to grow and match up with the middle of my hair.

Hi Ladies :wave:

The reason why the hair looks longer is because it is longer.

E.g. Two women both have bra-strap length hair but one has her length on the bottom and one has her length from the top.
For the top layer to reach bra-strap it has to be a lot longer than the bottom layer.

I've measured strands from the top/middle of my head that are around 30 inches long, whereas I have strands at the bottom and nape that are barely 20 inches.

I've noticed that women with evenly cut hair that is all one length, their hair looks a lot longer than women with deep layers. Hope this makes sense.

This makes perfect sense. I've never really thought about it. My hair naturally grows this way. The top is past WL but my nape is much shorter. I feel that it looks very long but my ends seem thinner. I'm always hoping my nape area will catch up.

Back