Hair Types - Can we define new ones?

tatiana

Hi. I'm new here and I was wondering if we can define new hair types. I think describing our hair type in four different ways (3b, 3c, 4a, and 4b) is limiting. I don't know what my hair type is I just know I am not a 3b or a 4b. My stylist told me that my hair is right in the middle of being kinky and curly. Too kinky to be curly and too curly to be kinky. :perplexed My hair is naturally soft, fine, thin, flyaways, frizzes easy, and tangles/mats easy. Texture wise it is more wavy than curly and when pulled it straightens easy without reverting too much but I can't truly tell until the relaxer is gone. People have describe my hair as baby hair or baby soft hair. :perplexed I am currently transitioning so my hair is becoming thicker. But in my relaxing days, I only got a mild lye relaxer from the salon three or four times out of the year and my hair was never relaxed bone straight. That was my relaxing regime for over fifteen years. Some products like hot oil treatments, the pink stuff, and hair grease made my hair greasy and/or made it clump together. Hair spays and gels was just as bad.

I know some people on the board don't believe in hair typing. To some extent I agree, however, to save time, money, and frustration I would like to use a better hair type definition system. Hopefully I am not alone in this. I purpose adding 3d and/or 4a.1 Any thoughts??? Questions???

There are members who are already confused by the Andre Walker hair system, so I just think adding more categories would just be more confusing. Some people choose not to classify their hair and would rather just post pictures of their hair. When they do that they usually find 1 or more members who have similiar hair textures. So, no, I don't think it's necessary to continue adding more hair types.

Not sure if this is helpful, but the Andre typing system is for the appearance of individual strands, not the touch/feel of the strand.

Added more categories is going to make it worse and more confusing. It's to my understanding that 4a didn't even exist. It was added to go inbetween 3c and 4b. That's why some people use 3c and 4a synonymously. I think the biggest difference between the two is shine factor. 3c hair has a shine to it like type 1s and 2s but type 4 hair does not in its natural state. It has a sheen when pulled taut.

Your hair sounds like mine. But once you chop your relaxed ends it will look different. How much or how little depends on your hair. My hair curled up a lot more after I chopped. You could have more than one texture in your hair. Most of my hair is 4a but I have 3c pieces all throughout. When I airdry with no product the 3c pieces stick out all over the place bc the curl pattern is looser. You can really see the difference.

Last edited:
bmoreflyygirl said:
Added more categories is going to make it worse and more confusing. It's to my understanding that 4a didn't even exist. It was added to go inbetween 3c and 4b. That's why some people use 3c and 4a synonymously. I think the biggest difference between the two is shine factor. 3c hair has a shine to it like type 1s and 2s but type 4 hair does not in its natural state. It has a sheen when pulled taut.

i think it's the opposite - 3b and 4a were there originally, and 3c was invented as an inbetween.

ladylibra said:
i think it's the opposite - 3b and 4a were there originally, and 3c was invented as an inbetween.

Yeah 3c was invented as an inbetween and I'm glad they did cuz it helps girls like me:D

ladylibra said:

Woops that's what I meant. You're right.

Tatiana maybe you should find a hair twin. I think that would be easier.

bmoreflyygirl said:
Woops that's what I meant. You're right.

Tatiana maybe you should find a hair twin. I think that would be easier.

ITA! Hair typing is really limited, but the best thing you can do look at fotki's and find people that have a similar hair type to your own. IMO, a 4a can have multiple different looks based on the description. Pictures are more useful.

Back