Hair That Is Resistant to Relaxer

metamorfhosis

My friend just had her weave taken out. She had it in about 6 weeks. Her stylist gave her a Fiberguard relaxer and it didn't take. The new growth remained resistent and looked like 6 weeks of new growth.

Have you ever heard of this happening? My friend's stylist wants to repeat the retouch. Do you recommend this?

Any thoughts are welcomed. Thanks...........

It is because the hair needs to rest two-three weeks after weaves or braids. The directions on the relaxer also recommends people not to relax ASAP after wearing extensions or weaves for this reason. I'm sure the more knowledgeable ladies can give you details. A pro should have known this. I would recommend your friend change stylists. She sounds like she just wants more money from your friend.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
My hair responded to Fiberguard ths same way your friend's hair did the first time I used it. I think the trick is to put the llightest layer of the protecting lotion on the hair...I was heavy handed with it and the relaxer would not penetrate. Since then it has been fine.

I don't think Fiberguard is really that strong of a relaxer. If your friend does get a "corrective" then it definitely should be with something stronger than Fiberguard. I think waiting a few weeks is good. I don't think getting the same area retouched is bad because it didn't process. Therefore, it's not like a second app. would over process it.

My friend just had her weave taken out. She had it in about 6 weeks. Her stylist gave her a Fiberguard relaxer and it didn't take. The new growth remained resistent and looked like 6 weeks of new growth.

Have you ever heard of this happening? My friend's stylist wants to repeat the retouch. Do you recommend this?

Any thoughts are welcomed. Thanks...........

Believe it our not, my naturally curly hair took four, FOUR relaxers to break down my hair. :yep: I figured by my hair being curly (3b/3c) it would break down my hair fast, since curly hair is supposed to be porous, I was wrong!

I applied a Revlon Realistic mild relaxer (since I have highlights) for 25 minutes. My hair was still curly. Then a couple of days later I applied the Revlon Realistic for about 15 minutes, nothing happened. I think applied an ORS Regular relaxer for 10 minutes (I was scared..lol) and it started to loosen up a bit. THEN I went to the salon, the stylist applied Mizani Mild for colored treated hair on the highlighted hair, and Mizani Regular on the hair in the back that's all black. My hair still is wavy/curly with a much bigger pattern now. I will use a regular relaxer from now on.

Revlon relaxer has lye in it and lye does not relax my hair at all. I have a mix of 3c/4a curls that is relaxer resistant. I could have left it on my hair for 30 min and still have curls.:rolleyes: It is a good relaxer if you want to texlax, though.:yep:

This is what i found on a site. Not sure if it's true or not so here goes:

Basically, this is due to the patron's body chemistry. If your patron is on certain medications or consumes large quantities of acid-laden foods or drinks such as lemon, lime, orange juice, carbonated soft drinks or is experiencing a nervous condition or in various stages of pregnancy, these and other conditions can lower normal body pH from 5.5 to approximately 3.5. This means that any scalp secretions, perspiration or sebum will be at the same lower pH. This, plus heavy hair dressings, coat the lower hair shaft causing a pre-neutralizing effect on the hair prior to contact with the relaxer. Combing a relaxer cream with a pH of 12 to 13 with sufficient scalp secretions at a pH of 3.5 to 4.0 may result in a pH of 8.5 or less. This pH is generally too low to relax hair.

Revlon relaxer has lye in it and lye does not relax my hair at all. I have a mix of 3c/4a curls that is relaxer resistant. I could have left it on my hair for 30 min and still have curls.:rolleyes: It is a good relaxer if you want to texlax, though.:yep:

I have had this problem since forever but my hair is even more resistant since I gave birth seven months ago so I think my hair texture maybe even courser now. I have decided to transition because I can't be bothered to try and get my hair straight anymore if it really does not want to. I am just causing damage for no reason at all.

This is what i found on a site. Not sure if it's true or not so here goes:

Basically, this is due to the patron's body chemistry. If your patron is on certain medications or consumes large quantities of acid-laden foods or drinks such as lemon, lime, orange juice, carbonated soft drinks or is experiencing a nervous condition or in various stages of pregnancy, these and other conditions can lower normal body pH from 5.5 to approximately 3.5. This means that any scalp secretions, perspiration or sebum will be at the same lower pH. This, plus heavy hair dressings, coat the lower hair shaft causing a pre-neutralizing effect on the hair prior to contact with the relaxer. Combing a relaxer cream with a pH of 12 to 13 with sufficient scalp secretions at a pH of 3.5 to 4.0 may result in a pH of 8.5 or less. This pH is generally too low to relax hair.

Very interesting! Makes you wonder...

Back