Hair constantly wet??

soslychic

I am doing condition washes everyday (or at least 4-5 days a week) and sometimes my hair simply never dries. I especially have this (possible) problem with the ends. For example, if I wash my hair at night and in the morning it's still not dry and it goes up in a bun and the ends are nice and protected, but when I get home, the ends are still not dry because they havn't been exposed to the air (which is a good thing true) but then I wash again and they get wet again and it goes on and on. Now is it healthy for your hair (the ends especially) to be constantly wet in it's more fragile state?

Not sure. I think Sweetcocoa had this problem. By the way, where is she?? Maybe you can send her a PM.

Personally, I think as long as you coat your ends with sometype of oil moisturizer that it should be okay.

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think as long as you coat your ends with sometype of oil moisturizer that it should be okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to have to agree with this. I do a conditioner only wash and bun almost everyday and my ends stay wet. I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I make sure my ends are coated w/Hot Six Oil.

I wondered that too. I asked a question on another thread but did'nt get an answer.

For those who do the wet bag thing ever they ever stopped? it seem if you stop doing it your hair would snap off.

Caramela,
how do u air dry with all that hair and not catch a head cold???? I get home at night and I love rinsing my hair but my roots are still wet in the morning and I end up with a cold. It amazes me how people dont get sick from doing this especially when its not summertime
shocked.gif

Well, Britt... the summer I take a bath at night and a shower in the morning and let my hair be wet thru the day. But in the winter, I take a bath in the morning and wet my hair at night so the roots have time to dry. Luckily I've not gotten sick. I really don't buy into the whole thing of wet heads equal colds, maybe I have a nice strong immune system from my multivitamins, maybe I've just been lucky. But I think moisture is the key to growth
wave.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I wondered that too. I asked a question on another thread but did'nt get an answer.

For those who do the wet bag thing ever they ever stopped? it seem if you stop doing it your hair would snap off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been doing this baggie thing for about 6 months and I have noticed that when I take my ends out, they get crunchy dry. I hope that my hair isn't "addicted" to being wet all the time.
perplexed.gif

Food for thought,
Health experts claim that it is not exposure to cold air that gives you a cold, but exposure to germs. I've always struglled with this, but my doctors and my kid's ped swear you cn't catch a cold from being cold or wet.
ill.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have been doing this baggie thing for about 6 months and I have noticed that when I take my ends out, they get crunchy dry. I hope that my hair isn't "addicted" to being wet all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope not too. But I think that's why we still have some die hard Jheri Curlers out there,
cool.gif
once people stopped thier hair broke all off.

I don't want to get started on it, I think moisturizing everyday should be sufficient.

My hair thrived on the Wet Bun this summer. I hope I don't have problems from not doing it this winter.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope not too. But I think that's why we still have some die hard Jheri Curlers out there,
cool.gif
once people stopped thier hair broke all off.

I don't want to get started on it, I think moisturizing everyday should be sufficient.

My hair thrived on the Wet Bun this summer. I hope I don't have problems from not doing it this winter.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the bright side, i have noticed that when I get my hair done at the salon, I am able to keep my ends moisturized and straight with no breakage. Maybe I just will have to learn a moisture balance system for straight hair.

Why would it make your hair more dry after you stopped? I'm confused. I am trying the baggie thing this week to see how it goes, but I don't want to do anything that is harmful so why exactly would the baggie trick make your hair snap off and break afterwards. I thought my hair would be MORE moisturized when I take it off and better able to handle heat and stuff.

Am I wrong?

I was thinking of definitely incorporating it into my special occasion routine when I wear my hair down to give an extra blast of moisture before flat ironing.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, Britt... the summer I take a bath at night and a shower in the morning and let my hair be wet thru the day. But in the winter, I take a bath in the morning and wet my hair at night so the roots have time to dry. Luckily I've not gotten sick. I really don't buy into the whole thing of wet heads equal colds, maybe I have a nice strong immune system from my multivitamins, maybe I've just been lucky. But I think moisture is the key to growth
wave.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Im am susceptible to colds and if my hair my is really really damp/wet I catch a head cold. I really really do miss my rinses though. In the winter sometimes I just take a blow dryer to my roots lightly so that i wont go to bed with a soaked head. ITA that moisture is the key to growth. Ahhh the feeling of clean hair and scalp
smile.gif

I'm thinking like rot. You can leave a piece of wood in a jar of water and it'll be in that state but if you take it out and dry it then bend. It's gonna snap.

I consider hair like a fiber. What would happen to your favorite sweater if you left it in water constantly?

I don't know that's why I'm asking it just would seem that it break off. Like that brouht me back to the Jheri Curl style peoples hair grew but when they stopped, wearing that wet style it broke all off. All I can think of is it was rotting.

[ QUOTE ]
why exactly would the baggie trick make your hair snap off and break afterwards

[/ QUOTE ]

CN,

I think Adrienne's hair is proof that this probably isn't quite the case....
ohwell.gif

Lots of people have all done the baggie trick with no problem. I think a lot of the commentary on this thread that controverts the idea of "all day moisture", is speculative - and won't give you an answer as to your hair anyway.

I'm not saying some people might not have difficulty with this. I'm just saying it CAN work, so it's better to find out if it works for YOU, unless it's blatanly dangerous...y'know?
smile.gif

Okay that makes sense. I just have to be very careful about stuff like this because my hair is so fine.

And I thought people's hair broke off after the jherri curl becaues they didn't know what the heck they were doing (much like all the messed up heads you see today!).

I hope this works for me because I am trying to keep my moisture up this winter.

yeah, i've been doing the baggie thing for two years now, almost three, and my hair is hardly ever completely dry unless i make a conscious effort to air dry. i haven't had any problems whatsoever with rotting or anything like that.

my only problem is that i wash my hair in the mornings, and i put it right in the bun damp. if i don't air dry in the evening, my hair in the baggie sometimes smells sour a few days later. i HATE that. so that's why i air dry. that's only usually necessary the day that i wash. i leave it up and alone for the rest of the week.

the theory about the wood is really interesting. i never thought of it that way. if i had, i probably wouldnt' have done the baggie thing. it's been working for ME though. give it a shot...
smile.gif

i also wanted to comment about the jheri curl. i don't think it was the curl itself that made people retain more length. it was the curl activator. that is why i'm such a huge fan!!
smile.gif

Well the same rings true for me. I love the fact that my hair (ends) stays wet/moist all day. I even take it a bit further and seal my wet ends with vaseline. I contibute my growth to this method.

-lee

[ QUOTE ]
i also wanted to comment about the jheri curl. i don't think it was the curl itself that made people retain more length. it was the curl activator. that is why i'm such a huge fan!!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with both of Adrienne's post.
smile.gif

oh yeah, how could i forget the Vaseline? that has really been key for me too. i've tried the baggie technique with just the curl activator/gel mix. my ends just don't stay as moist as they do with the Vaseline on top of it. thanks for mentioning that, lee.

Tin Sing, anyone?
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I just have to be very careful about stuff like this because my hair is so fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, just be careful, just cause something works for someone doe'snt mean it works for all OR that it is a sound idea. Cause there are those here who said they had ill effects from it.

Adrienne, I know you have'nt had ill effects but you have'nt stopped either right? Or am I understanding wrong.

Plus I think you said in post that you air dry so your hair is dry at some point??

I'm thinking When the Poster said "constantly" wet that to me means not allowing the hair to dry, just wet/damp all the time. Is that what you meant?

My Mom had a Jheri Curl her hair never dried. She wore the Curl Activator/spray at night slept with the bag on her head during the day the hair was sprayed constantly so as not to dry out.

The hair rotted. So when she Stopped and was letting it grow out of the curl, it snapped and broke.

But as long as she kept that style she did'nt have problems. See what I'm saying.

to no one in particular: i've always wondered how people who do the baggie thing and the washing everyday thing or even the rinsing thing, how does that work in everyday life? for those of you who work or go to school or do something everyday, how do you keep up appearances at work or school? don't certain jobs require a certain "look" for lack of a better word...

i'm curious because i'll be starting work and i can't see myself going to work with wet hair and maintaining that coiffed proffesional look.

[ QUOTE ]
Now is it healthy for your hair (the ends especially) to be constantly wet in it's more fragile state?

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking only from my own experience (and from my own experience only), it's NOT good for my hair to be constantly wet. I didn't get any head colds or anything of the sort, BUT I tried the wet bun routine (without the baggie, bun cage or anything) for a while, and on two separate occasions I got the funkiest odour of mildew when I opened my hair. From this I learned that I can't allow my hair to stay in a wet bun indefinitely - I've got to let it dry in between bunning.

I've been doing the baggie technique for some weeks now, but I've been careful NOT to bag my hair wet. Instead, I allow my hair to air dry thoroughly, then I moisturize it with S-Curl activator and oil moisturiser, and seal the moisture in with something heavy like petroleum jelly or Profective HealthyEnds. If my hair got that funky without the baggie, imagine what would happen if I bagged it wet!
laugh.gif
I think my hair needs to be constantly moisturised, NOT constantly wet - a big difference to me.

By the way (and a bit off topic
smile.gif
) I'm also experimenting with a variation of the baggie routine: I'm bunning my hair, then putting a cut off stocking foot over it, then covering it with a bun cage - WITHOUT the baggie. I want to see how moisturised it will stay if I moisturise the ends well, and leave the hair covered, uncombed and unmanipulated between shampoos (once every 5-7 days, which is the length of time I go when I use the baggie, too).

[ QUOTE ]
I think my hair needs to be constantly moisturised, NOT constantly wet -a big difference to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and i think that is wherein lies the confusion...
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think my hair needs to be constantly moisturised, NOT constantly wet -a big difference to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and i think that is wherein lies the confusion...
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA

Hi
wave.gif
I just thought i'd jump in.
I've been doing the baggie method since dec2002 I don't use the jeri juice(worlds of curls) cause my hair doesn't like it ....i use hair oil, make sure my wet bun is oiled well and put the baggie on. I've had no ill effect. I was every 2-3 days....most of the time.
I'm just thank full that Adrienne's method (baggie and pony)really worked for me.
grin.gif

I have been keeping my hair moisturized with no problems. This is what I do:

-I wash once a week with the works (pre-shampoo hot-oil, shampoo, ACV rinse, deep or regular conditioner, rollerset under a dryer OR airdry in a braidout). My hair ends up completely dry because I usually start early in the day on either Saturday or Sunday.

-I do a noo poo rinse twice a week (usually Tuesday and Thursday). My hair is notorious for holding water so I do this rinse at night then set in a bun. I spray distilled water mixed with a little Monoi oil on my hair. I apply a little Humectress on my hair, then seal moisture with a little Monoi oil. I tie one of those triangle net things (like you would use for a rollerset) on my hair to hold it down then I sleep with just this net thing on my hair on a satin pillowcase. My hair is usually dry or almost dry by morning. I put my hair in a bun where it drys.

-On the days that I don't rinse, I spray my hair lightly with a mixture of distilled water with a few drops of Monoi oil mixed in, apply a quarter size of Humectress to my hair then seal with Monoi oil. This always gives me soft touchable hair.

One of my staples is Humectress. It works very well on my wet hair. It has a soft protein (keratin) which reduces shedding. Used with distilled water and Monoi oil, it gives me soft, touchable hair. This routine has been working like a charm for me
smile.gif

Chichi
bdance.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just have to be very careful about stuff like this because my hair is so fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, just be careful, just cause something works for someone doe'snt mean it works for all OR that it is a sound idea. Cause there are those here who said they had ill effects from it.

Adrienne, I know you have'nt had ill effects but you have'nt stopped either right? Or am I understanding wrong.

Plus I think you said in post that you air dry so your hair is dry at some point??

I'm thinking When the Poster said "constantly" wet that to me means not allowing the hair to dry, just wet/damp all the time. Is that what you meant?

My Mom had a Jheri Curl her hair never dried. She wore the Curl Activator/spray at night slept with the bag on her head during the day the hair was sprayed constantly so as not to dry out.

The hair rotted. So when she Stopped and was letting it grow out of the curl, it snapped and broke.

But as long as she kept that style she did'nt have problems. See what I'm saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

mindymouse, what i mean is that when i come home the first day after washing, i let it air dry. when i unbraid the ponytail, it's WET (towel dried feel) not damp. even air drying, it's still damp when i put it back up because i put more curl activator and vaseline on. i leave it like that until i wash again. i think the WET from water (vs. product dampness) is what made it smell sour. i don't have a problem after that first night of air drying.

as far as ill effects, until today, i wore my hair down for almost a month. my hair didn't snap or feel excessively dry during that time. my problem wearing it down is friction breakage from my hair rubbing on my clothes, or against the seat while i drive, etc. so i went back to the bun/ponytail this morning. as i type, my ponytail is loose air drying, but i'll put curl activator and vaseline on it before i go to bed. i won't take it down again until i wash next week. when i take it down then, it'll be almost dry but moist from the vaseline.

when your mom started growing out of the curl, how did she wear her hair? did she continue to use the curl activator? again, i don't think the style (or chemical process) is what helped people with jheri curls grow their hair. it was the moisture of the curl activator. so if she stopped using that along with not getting a curl, i could see where her hair would start to break. she was going from mega moisture to maybe little to none... see what i'm saying?

i'm not saying that what i do is for everyone. i know it's not. if it doesn't work for you, try something else.
look.gif

[ QUOTE ]

again, i don't think the style (or chemical process) is what helped people with jheri curls grow their hair. it was the moisture of the curl activator. so if she stopped using that along with not getting a curl, i could see where her hair would start to break. she was going from mega moisture to maybe little to none... see what i'm saying?

i'm not saying that what i do is for everyone. i know it's not. if it doesn't work for you, try something else.
look.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Having worn a wave nouveau myself for 10 years, I can tell you that you are exactly right, Adrienne. It WAS the moisture that contributed to the growth. When I decided to stop wearing the curl I had to cut all my hair off. Once you stop moistening the hair with the activator, your hair WILL break. You can't just start wearing your hair dry because the chemical in the hair won't allow it. I tried growing it out but my hairdresser warned me that my hair would start to break off, and it did.
smile.gif

Back