hair blues

oye

Hey I am new to the boards! I just took out a weave and my hair was healthy and seemed strong. So I proceed to condition with the joico kpak shampoo and conditioner, and have been experiencing breakage. Its that irritating snapping of ends thing. Where did I go wrong? What can I do immediately to correct it? My last retouch was between 5 to 6 weeks ago.
frown.gif

Hi,
wave.gif

Welcome to the LHCF. Maybe your hair needs a strengthening protein. Did you keep it well moisturized while wearing a weave? How long did you keep the weave in? Was it sewn in or glued in?

Here is some information posted by another member (Supergirl):

All proteins are strengthening proteins to some degree but here are the more specific characteristics of these proteins--

Collagen Protein--known for increasing elasticity in the hair

Silk Protein--known for softening the hair

Wheat Protein--a moisturizing and strengthening protein. known for increasing the hair's ability to maintain & receive moisture also.

Keratin Protein--responsible for keeping the hair strong and pliable. This is the strongest of the(hair product) proteins and is actually the one that hair is made from. This one re-structures hair that has been damaged or broken down by chemicals. It helps to replace the amino acid cysteine which is the main one lost during chemical processing. This is the heavy duty protein. If you see the following as an ingredient

*Keratin protein--this will re-structure and strengthen the hair cuticle (the outer layer only & the most important layer)

*Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein or Keratin Amino Acids--this means that the Keratin molecules have been broken down and are small enough to go beyond the cuticle and penetrate the hair shaft. It will strengthen all 3 layers of the hair. That is why the term "deep conditioning" technically only refers to this kind of treatment using penetrating proteins.

*Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin--This is an exact match for the keratin your hair has (or has lot due to chemical processing). This is the highest quality and most potent keratin that can be used in hair products.

Here are some moisturizing conditioners that include protein

Nexxus Humectress(Keratin Protein)
Motions Moisture Silk(Collagen Protein & Silk Protein)
Biolage Hydro-Active Hair Masque(Keratin Protein)
Biolage Conditioning Balm(Keratin Protein)
Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner(Wheat Protein)
Motions Moisture Plus (Silk Protein)
Biolage Ultra Hydrating (Silk Protein)
Design Essentials Stimulations (Wheat Protein, Silk Protein)
Mizani Moisturefuse (Wheat Protein)
Joico Moisturizing Conditioner (Collagen, Keratin, Wheat Protein)

Hi Oye,

Welcome to the board. I had crochet braids in 1997 and when I took them out, the first thing I used was Joico K-Pak which is an excellent treatment. But for some reason, it did not help my hair. My hair was weak from spending a month under the crochet braids. The following week, I used a Queen Helene Cholesterol Treatment and my hair was SO revitalized. Imagine that...the $2.99 product worked better than the $20 one.

Thanks people. I only had my weave in for like two and a half weeks, not long at all, and it was sewn on. but I feel really like I used the wrong product. i shall try the queen helene. I must say i have found a wealth of information ever just browsing these boards. and its nice that people really do want to help and actually try to help others with this our 'multi- faceted' hair!!!

Oye,

My crochets were only in for 4 weeks. I too was surprised at what could happen in such a short time.

Back