Gummy buildup with Aubrey Organics anyone...?!?! (Organic users, please chime in..!)

SherylsTresses

Is it just me or is anyone else getting gummy buildup from using Aubrey Organics or any other organic product line?

Am I just using Aubrey Organics products improperly? I have been using AO products for maybe 4 months. Since then I’ve gotten gummy building which causes me to lose a lot of hair when I detangle. I’ve used the Green Tea clarifying poo once a month and the gummy buildup soon returns. I also get crunchy dried knots on my hair which is very hard to detangle even after saturating it with EVOO so sometimes I have to cut them out. I gave away all of my non-organic hair products some months ago. So this past weekend, I purchased and used Nexxus Therappe and Humectress. I also used Roux Porosity Control as a final rinse to seal my ends and I used my Lacio Lacio leave-in mixed with EVOO. I prefer to use the organic products but with positive results. I have a nice stash of Aubrey Organics and Giovanna products purchased from Whole Foods and The Vitamin Shop.

Can anyone advise me on what I am possibly doing wrong? Maybe I should check the expiration dates? Should I not shampoo and DC in braids using organic products?

This is my regimen:
1. Finger-detangle with EVOO
2. Saturated hair with conditioner, EVOO, tea tree oil, peppermint oil and garlic powder
3. Detangle hair with very wide tooth comb
4. Plait hair in 6 loose sections with barrettes on ends; 2 front, 1 top, 3 back area
5. Shampoo with AO HSR in braids using shower comb to scrub scalp
6. Deep condition with Honeysuckle Rose/EVOO for 2 hours or overnight
7. Towel dry w/o disturbing position of detangled hair
8. Remove barrettes and finger detangle each section, then thoroughly rinse open loose hair
9. Apply Giovanni leave-in/EVOO
10. Airdry with part down middle into a braided ponytail
11. Moisturize as needed with aloe vera juice, Moisture Milks/EVOO

- Clarify:
Use Aubrey Organics Green Tea clarifying shampoo. Clarifying hair makes it easier to comb thru since it removes buildup. I clarify every six weeks and followup with AO GPB

Re: Gummy buildup with Aubrey Organics anyone...?!?! (Organic users, please chime in

I use almost exclusively AO products and never get buildup unless I also use other products, such as Aveda be Curly, MC leave in, etc.

I mostly do not use any leave ins other than natural oils but I just now tried AOHSR as a leave in so we'll see.

Re: Gummy buildup with Aubrey Organics anyone...?!?! (Organic users, please chime in

@ Nina_deF

Thanks for your reply. BTW loveeeeee your user name...!

I have used AOHSR conditioner since my transition and now as a new natural. I have never noticed any build up. I have never used any of their shampoos and have not seen very positive reviews of them. I am also using Giovanni 50/50 as a leave in and no problems with this as well. Perhaps you should consider clarifying and adding a moisturizing shampoo prior to detangling. Also the scrubing (scritching)could create more tangling. I know you are transitioning however, when was your last trim? Also, you may need to add protein (as DC) in your regimen. I have heard several raves regarding AOGPB.

I have used AOHSR conditioner since my transition and now as a new natural. I have never noticed any build up. I have never used any of their shampoos and have not seen very positive reviews of them. I am also using Giovanni 50/50 as a leave in and no problems with this as well. Perhaps you should consider clarifying and adding a moisturizing shampoo prior to detangling. Also the scrubing (scritching)could create more tangling. I know you are transitioning however, when was your last trim? Also, you may need to add protein (as DC) in your regimen. I have heard several raves regarding AOGPB.

Garner
I assumed scrubbing my scalp w/ a shower comb would be beneficial while in loose braids... Also, I trim about 3" every three months. I also use AO GPB as a protein treatment after clarifying.

Opps, I totally missed the AOGPB tx. I am sorry you are having this problem w/ breakage. I definitely understand. As a suggestion...scrubbing with the balls of your fingers may be better. I have seen on this board and others, pros and cons regarding scrubbing w/ the shower comb. Maybe you need to change products. How long have you used AO products? I do realize that what works for some does not work for others. I am no way suggesting that you totally abandon organic products. I have even seen instances when some people have used natural products and had to go back to the other products because of breakage or no slip. Hair care often leads to trial and error regarding products, regimen, etc.

Last edited:

Opps, I totally missed the AOGPB tx. I am sorry you are having this problem w/ breakage. I definitely understand. As a suggestion...scrubbing with the balls of your fingers may be better. I have seen on this board and others, pros and cons regarding scrubbing w/ the shower comb. Maybe you need to change products. How long have you used AO products? I do realize that what works for some does not work for others. I am no way suggesting that you totally abandon organic products. I have even seen instances when some people have used natural products and had to go back to the other products because of breakage or no slip. Hair care often leads to trial and error regarding products, regimen, etc.

I will definitely take your advice...! Thanks.

Last edited:

Yes AO can give build up. Other natural conditioners like Oyin Honey Hemp don't give as much buildup. Try using Ion Chelating/Clarifying shampoo to remove build up.

Speaking from experience, while natural conditioners are the best, their shampoos don't remove buildup as well as an SLS shampoo can.

As a fellow transitioner (no plans for a bc) the crunchy ends seem to come with the transitioning territory... which I figure is the reason so many people bc.

Why not try different natural conditioners and see how they work before going back to synthetic conditioners?

As a fellow transitioner

Glad to know I'm not the lone ranger on this one...!!! The crunchy, dried knots were on the hair, not the ends and yes, I will try another organic DC. Thanks sooo much for chiming in.

@SherylsTresses Yes, some natural shampoos can make hair gummy. That is why I do not go out of my way to use them.

When I first discovered AO, I used one of their shampoos and it left my hair with a coating that made me think of sap. I think gummy is a better description. I forget what ingredient was responsible for that but I do remember reading about it. The coating I got reminded me of CON shampoo and why I stopped using it, but unlike CON, this coating was indeed like stuff that oozes out of a plant and gets sticky.

Since switching to sulfate shampoos, or Giovanni 50:50, or Trader Joe's...I don't have that problem anymore. I use AO HSR conditioner and AO GPB...and no gummy hair here.

@SherylsTresses Yes, some natural shampoos can make hair gummy. That is why I do not go out of my way to use them.

When I first discovered AO, I used one of their shampoos and it left my hair with a coating that made me think of sap. I think gummy is a better description. I forget what ingredient was responsible for that but I do remember reading about it. The coating I got reminded me of CON shampoo and why I stopped using it, but unlike CON, this coating was indeed like stuff that oozes out of a plant and gets sticky.

Since switching to sulfate shampoos, or Giovanni 50:50, or Trader Joe's...I don't have that problem anymore. I use AO HSR conditioner and AO GPB...and no gummy hair here.

Great! Now I can keep my stash of AO HSR conditioner and get rid of the one AO HSR an AO GPB poo I purchased.

I have been using natural products only for a year and a half and I still use AO conditioners to DC.
I don't use their shampoos, though. The reason is: thier shampoos are soap based. Soap based products create a buildup that sticks to the dirty part of my hair and doesn't get rinsed off. I have heard about other people with my same problem and they all had hard water. Apparently, the minerals in hard water stick to the soap and they both stick to your hair. Some people say they have solved their problem following their shampoo with a good intense ACV rinse. But if I use ACV, I prefer to diluite it very well. Using almost undiluited ACV weekly may be not the best idea.

This is why I use Giovanni 50:50 as a shampoo, and AO to DC. Butters give me the same problem, so I get buildup if I use AO honeysuckle rose as a leave in because it has shea butter in it. I can still DC with it. But definitely, the AO conditioners that don't give me any build up are the white camellia and gpb (first one for moisture, second one for protein).

hope it helps!

Last edited:

Cosigning with Nonie. I have used AO GPB and white camellia conditioners for over a year without buildup. I used the HSR shampoo for a little while but it wasn't cleansing my hair properly (maybe it would work better for an everyday or every other day shampoo since it is so gentle).

ciccina
Thanks a million...!!! I do have Giovanni 50:50 shampoo that I've never used. You ladies are always wonderful...!!!

:sunshine: :thankyou:

Ahhh, I didn't even think about the AO shampoos.
I mostly do cowashes and if I clarify I use MC just to use it up.

I use AO shampoos as showergel, they're really good for that and less drying than conventional shower gels.

Ahhh, I didn't even think about the AO shampoos.
I mostly do cowashes and if I clarify I use MC just to use it up.

I use AO shampoos as showergel, they're really good for that and less drying than conventional shower gels.

The bold is how I used up the rest of my AO shampoo! It just wasn't cutting it for hair, but it was great as a shower gel! :lachen:

I have been using natural products only for a year and a half and I still use AO conditioners to DC.
I don't use their shampoos, though. The reason is: thier shampoos are soap based. Soap based products create a buildup that sticks to the dirty part of my hair and doesn't get rinsed off. I have heard about other people with my same problem and they all had hard water. Apparently, the minerals in hard water stick to the soap and they both stick to your hair. Some people say they have solved their problem following their shampoo with a good intense ACV rinse. But if I use ACV, I prefer to diluite it very well. Using almost undiluited ACV weekly may be not the best idea.

This is why I use Giovanni 50:50 as a shampoo, and AO to DC. Butters give me the same problem, so I get buildup if I use AO honeysuckle rose as a leave in because it has shea butter in it. I can still DC with it. But definitely, the AO conditioners that don't give me any build up are the white camellia and gpb (first one for moisture, second one for protein).

hope it helps!

@Nina_deF
Did you see the bolded......?

Nope.
Hmm, my hair is feeling kind of.... oily, I just spent 2 hrs doing "mini" twists because I'm having minor surgery tomorrow and can't do my hair for a week...

I'll get my clarifing shampoo ready!

Nope.
Hmm, my hair is feeling kind of.... oily, I just spent 2 hrs doing "mini" twists because I'm having minor surgery tomorrow and can't do my hair for a week...

I'll get my clarifing shampoo ready!

I sure hope all goes well with your surgery...!!!

I've only noticed build up when I tried to cowash with AO for me its too thick to be a cowash but u seem to have used them correctly. I've been using AO for 6 years and I also notice build up if I put the conditioner near my scalp. I only condition my hair and shampoo my scalp. So try being a little lighter with the conditioner when u dc. Also the aubrey conditioner directions for dcing says to dc BEFORE shampooing and I think its so you won't get build up.

I've only noticed build up when I tried to cowash with AO for me its too thick to be a cowash but u seem to have used them correctly. I've been using AO for 6 years and I also notice build up if I put the conditioner near my scalp. I only condition my hair and shampoo my scalp. So try being a little lighter with the conditioner when u dc. Also the aubrey conditioner directions for dcing says to dc BEFORE shampooing and I think its so you won't get build up.

Wow! I've never read them.

SherylsTresses Ciccina is correct. AO shampoos contains saponified oils of coconut and corn which is soap (alkali + veg/animal fat). Basically, the minerals in the water react with the soap and create build-up also known as soap scum or limescale. When you use soap to bathe (btw I'm talking about real soap not syndet bars like Dove) there is an accumulation of oil and mineral deposits around the tub (y'know that dreaded tub ring). Well that is what is happening to your hair.

Also, if the oils in the shampoo have not been fully saponified ( this is done to add extra emolliency ) there will be a layer of oils left on your hair... and because a lot of natural shampoos do not contain surfactants, there is nothing to wash away the oil/build up while rinsing your hair.

You really need a chelating shampoo. A clarifying shampoo will do at good job at removing build-up of product but you need a poo with a chelating agent to remove the mineral deposits from your hair

their problem following their shampoo with a good intense ACV rinse. But if I use ACV, I prefer to diluite it very well. Using almost undiluited ACV weekly may be not the best idea.
That would make sense, because vinegar is used to neutralize the sodium hydroxide in soap making. Also vingear is used as a natural alternative for removing soap scum around the bath so it makes sense that AVC would help to remove build up on the hair left from the soap in natural shampoo.

Last edited:

Most conditioners will cause build-up over time... That includes natural conditioners and conditioners without cones.

Many of the ingredients in our conditioners which offer conditioning and moisturizing properties are substantive -- meaning they are positively charged and bind to our negatively charged hair to offer the conditioning and moisturizing we are after. These ingredients are wonderful but they do not get washed away with water so over time will cause build-up on the hair. Shea butter is known to cause build-up over time aswell.

Last edited:
Back