GROWTH AIDS- NATURALS/TRANSITIONERS

Ladybelle

I've searched the forum and didn' find my answer. I saw a lot of threads about growth aids, but before i spend my moo-lah, I need to know:

what growth aids are the absolute best on natural, unrelaxed hair?

&

are there growth aids a natural head should avoid?

Do all the threads about mega-tek and OT apply to naturals to? Do naturals need all that protein?

Thanks! :yawn:

I don't use growth aids so everything I'm about to tell you is just from reading.

I haven't seen any growth aid that isn't for natural hair, but every growth isn't going to work the same way for every natural. It really depends on the type of aid it is (oil, cream, conditioner, spray) and the hairstyles you like to wear.

Lots of naturals use MT/OCT so I don't think it matters there. Everyone uses it differently (just like everything else) so you have to decide what's going to work for you. Everyone's head isn't the same so some people's hair can handle all the protein and others can't. That's why they tell you to stop all other protein and to use a super moisturizing DC. But, your hair still might not be able to handle it.

It's best that you just read about all the growth aids and then choose the one you like based on what you need and what you think your hair (and lifestyle) can handle.

Hi Rain,
I'm natural (4a) and I have used both. However, I used them mostly while in braids/twist extensions. I put them both, only on my scalp (in my parts) by using a color-applying bottle ( you know the one, with the pointy tip.)
I feel I got more growth with the Megatek, however, I used Garlic shampoo weekly just to keep shedding at bay...I didn't need to do the same with the Ovation. My hair grew about 3/4 in in a month (:yep:) with Megatek and only a little over a 1/2 in with Ovation. I have about 6 inches of hair now..and I'm gonna continue to use the Megatek.

HTH! :grin:

Oh! And I DC with moisturinzing cond ONLY ( no extra protein) once a week when I wash my braids. My hair likes protein so I apply the MT every day and leave it on until wash day. That's what has worked for me so far......

Last edited:
Moe gro oil is awesome! Its all natural & you can make it yourself but DONT use it if you have high blood pressure,pregnant or nursing. Its herbs infused in oil that stimulates the scalp & conditions the hair. I put all other growth aids down after using this. I made my own version of it and...just....wow.

thats all I can say.

I stopped using it, but in Sept-Dec 08 I was using Megatek and I'm a 4a/b natural. It was finr for me, I had no issues. I used it every other day as a leave in and co-washed every other day too. I think my hair was stronger and it helped with growth. I only stopped because I want to see if I can get that kind of growth without a growth aid (and I'm not into spending $30 a bottle over and over again when I have other expenses I'd prefer to tend to).

Moe gro oil is awesome! Its all natural & you can make it yourself but DONT use it if you have high blood pressure,pregnant or nursing. Its herbs infused in oil that stimulates the scalp & conditions the hair. I put all other growth aids down after using this. I made my own version of it and...just....wow.

thats all I can say.

So,can you give me your secret recipe?? I'm big on aromotherapy so being able to make another concoction out of my essentials oils would be great.

I stopped using it, but in Sept-Dec 08 I was using Megatek and I'm a 4a/b natural. It was finr for me, I had no issues. I used it every other day as a leave in and co-washed every other day too. I think my hair was stronger and it helped with growth. I only stopped because I want to see if I can get that kind of growth without a growth aid (and I'm not into spending $30 a bottle over and over again when I have other expenses I'd prefer to tend to).

I certainly feel you on that, if i can grow my hair without having to continuosly spend excessive amounts on products, I will. After I had a bad relaxer experience, I began using beauty 4 ashes (www.discoverb4a.com) and I absolutely loved the stuff, it really helped me retain what little hair I had left and it got the growth going but it cost about 3 1/2 full tanks of gas for me so I had to resort to other means.

I was talking to my mom the other day about wanting to grow my hair out to about mid-back and she told me to not bother spending money on all this expensive stuff, she said everything I need is already in the kitchen. (honey, olive oil, mayonnaise, vinegar, beer, eggs) :blush: I thought about it, and when my mother was using all this stuff on my hair I had thick, shiny, gorgeous hair. So now I'm thinking maybe a combination of the simple with a few staple additions like essential oils (lavendar, rosemary, etc) and carrier oils (shea, coconut,castor, jojoba) is all I really need to grow my hair.

I dunno. Still trying to figure out what's best for my hair. If megatek/ot is as good as the reviews are, I'm willing to give it a try just to reach my goal and then do everything in my power to retain the growth.

Thanks for the responses/suggestions ladies- I appreciate you!
:thankyou:

I certainly feel you on that, if i can grow my hair without having to continuosly spend excessive amounts on products, I will. After I had a bad relaxer experience, I began using beauty 4 ashes (www.discoverb4a.com) and I absolutely loved the stuff, it really helped me retain what little hair I had left and it got the growth going but it cost about 3 1/2 full tanks of gas for me so I had to resort to other means.

I was talking to my mom the other day about wanting to grow my hair out to about mid-back and she told me to not bother spending money on all this expensive stuff, she said everything I need is already in the kitchen. (honey, olive oil, mayonnaise, vinegar, beer, eggs) :blush: I thought about it, and when my mother was using all this stuff on my hair I had thick, shiny, gorgeous hair. So now I'm thinking maybe a combination of the simple with a few staple additions like essential oils (lavendar, rosemary, etc) and carrier oils (shea, coconut,castor, jojoba) is all I really need to grow my hair.

I dunno. Still trying to figure out what's best for my hair. If megatek/ot is as good as the reviews are, I'm willing to give it a try just to reach my goal and then do everything in my power to retain the growth.

Thanks for the responses/suggestions ladies- I appreciate you!
:thankyou:

Well I'm not natural, but I hope I can help, the basic growth aids are MT and Ovation, have your tried researching, BeeMine, Patience Growth Oil, and Gro-Aut......what kind of product did you use from Beauty 4 Ashes?

Well I'm not natural, but I hope I can help, the basic growth aids are MT and Ovation, have your tried researching, BeeMine, Patience Growth Oil, and Gro-Aut......what kind of product did you use from Beauty 4 Ashes?

I used the E-class line of products including the conditioners and treatments and the hair masks were really good. I skipped on the shampoos so I can't rave about those. But, while using the products, the shedding stopped altogether, my hair was softer and it began to grow. It's a christian based company that uses all-natural ingredients, no chemicals. In addition to that, they say all of the products are made by hand at time of ordering. I still buy on occassion, but it's not something I can buy all the time. Their lines are catered to specific hair types so it's easier to buy for your type of hair.

I used the E-class line of products including the conditioners and treatments and the hair masks were really good. I skipped on the shampoos so I can't rave about those. But, while using the products, the shedding stopped altogether, my hair was softer and it began to grow. It's a christian based company that uses all-natural ingredients, no chemicals. In addition to that, they say all of the products are made by hand at time of ordering. I still buy on occassion, but it's not something I can buy all the time. Their lines are catered to specific hair types so it's easier to buy for your type of hair.

I feel you about the price, I was looking at the website.....Well I'm relaxed, and I use OCT mixed with Gro-aut oil and MN, and I just received my MT, and I don't know what's going on, but my hair is growing like crazy, I take Hairfinity vitamins and I started deep conditioning on dry hair with my ayurveda powders, and I just relaxed and it doesn't look like I even put a relaxer in my hair.....so you could like buy some products and mix them, the only problem I'm having right now is the shedding....so I don't know what to do for my shedding, cuz the garlic pills didn't help.....I hope you find something, there's Boundless Tresses also, the website is www.growthspecfics.com, I hope you find something......Have a blessed day...:yep:

Back