Going to Hair Salon... I hope I'm doing the right thing...What Should I do???

seraphim712

Well, after washing my own hair since Nov of 06, I finally decided that I will go to the beauty salon to get a wash and blowdry. My reason?

My hair seems to become more brittle, and dryer without moisture everytime I wash it. I know that if I do go to the hair salon, that the stylist that normally does my hair will suggest that I chop off all the split ends to the healthy hair, and that's about 2-3 inches of hair. I at the point where I really don't know what to do.

Should I go to the salon or should I continue doing my own hair?

If your hair is getting drier with each wash I'd take a look at the products you're using because more than likely something is drying your hair out or not supplying enough moisture.

Chayil

seraphim712 said:
I'm starting to think that it's the ORS deep conditioning packs...

toss it. that stuff does nothing for me. dried my hair out like a motha....

try other "popular" conditioners. i swear by silicon mix. it might not be for you, but you need a certain trial and error period to find the right products for you. i also like silk elements megasilk conditioner sold at sallys. again, they may or may not work for you but if you *know* that ors is not working, toss it. FYI...the silk elements one you can buy in similar dollar packets to use one time without having to spend money for a jar of stuff you may or may not like.

i recommend clarifying and then immediately deep conditioning with a good conditioner (like either of the two i mentioned above). wheni dc really good, i sleep with the product on wet hair overnight. rinse, add leave in conditioner, slather on coconut oil, then smooth into ponytail, tie with scarf and my hair is smooth and soft hours later. your hair may not feel so soft that first time (what anorexic child is fat after the first meal) but with a few applications, you should feel a difference.

going to a beautician will not help you in the long run. you have to master your own hair before relying on others to guess what products will be good for you.

any questions on above, pm me.

nvybeauty said:
i recommend clarifying and then immediately deep conditioning with a good conditioner.

Co-signing! An inexpensive one to start with is Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo. It's the only one I've used and it solved my dryness issues when my moisturizer seemed to stop working.

There are gentler clarifiers that others can recommend.

pretty much co-signing with the above...I know ORS is good, but your hair does need to have the "squeakies" before you use it, or it feels like gum when you rinse it out...

another thing to try...olive oil and castor oil...I swear my hair has made a COMPLETE turnaround in the last couple of weeks since using these two things. I pre poo with the hoil oil, shampoo, deep condition..then go about my usual styling routine...then every day until my next wash, I apply olive oil and the castor oil that comes in the pink and white jar....not a lot of either...don't want the greasies...but my hair is shiny, smooth, silky, and doesn't crunch when I scrunch it.

ITA!!! clarify may be the answer you need to look at!! Clarifying did wonders to my strands...and definitely follow up with a deep conditioner.

InnerSoul said:
ITA!!! clarify may be the answer you need to look at!! Clarifying did wonders to my strands...and definitely follow up with a deep conditioner.

I'm using the Aveda Scalp Benefits line right now. Is it possible that Aveda has a clarifying shampoo???

I think the Shampure line from Aveda is the clarifying shampoo and conditioner.
http://aveda.com/templates/products2/spp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY10515&PRODUCT_ID=PROD5790

Looking at the Scalps Benefit line on their website, I think that could be drying you out. It sounds like it's clarifying too. Maybe try using that only 1-2x a month, then using something more moisturizing in-between.
http://aveda.com/templates/products2/spp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY10515&PRODUCT_ID=PROD5941

Definitely go for a more moisturizing shampoo and conditioner from Aveda if you want to stay with this line.

Back