Giovanni Direct Leave In vs. KCNT

so1913

Hey ladies,

Looking for feedback for those who have used both these leave ins. I'm currently using KCNT under my styling product and it's cool, but I go through the bottles pretty quickly and its costly. If its the best I can find, then I'll just consider it as an investment...but I'm open to looking at equally effective less expensive products. I am opting for a leave in more in the "natural/organic" based catagory and know a lot of people like Gionvanni Direct. It's less expensive than KCNT especially if I order through vitacost. Has anyone had experience with both leave ins? what is your conclusion?

Thanks!

I use Knot Today and I would like to know also. I've also considered Giovanni.....any users who can chime in?????

I use the Giovanni Direct Leave In instead of the KCKT in the Kimmay leave in and it works just as good. I used the KCKT in the beginning but my strands soaked it up quicker than my wallet could keep up so I switched to the Giovanni.

Please keep in mind that the Giovanni is a more of a protein leave in than the KCKT and anyone who is protein sensitive might want to avoid it. HTH

Last edited:
^^^^ I was thinking about doing just that instead of KCNT. I do want to try KCNT, but I'm broke.

Now I need to change the smell of it... (obsessed with good-smelling hair and Giovanni is eh at best, to me)

i like them both but i would choose kckt. i like that it can be used as an actual co wash conditioner to detangle and leave in. and my hair stays moisturized with it.

I am transitioning and I used Giovanni Direct on my new growth and it was great after the initial application, but it dried really "hard" on my roots. Maybe I used too much, but it was literally kind of chalky. I am protein sensitive though, so GD is a no go now. I have not tried KCNT yet.

I've tried both as well and as a natural, I have to say KCNT. It slides right through my strands and leaves it soft and smelling great. Whereas giovanni made it soft but didn't not have the same detangling properties.

I LOOOOOVE Giovanni. I've been trying a lot of different products, and this by far is one of my favorites. I thought my hair was protein sensitive, but I have no problem with this product. I've never tried KCKT, but if it gives Giovanni a run for their money I may just try it!

I would definitely stick with KCKT because I have type 4 hair that doesnt require a lot of protein....soror pm me your address and I will send you my Giovanni Direct, since I dont use it, your hairtype may love it!

I use the Giovanni Direct Leave In instead of the KCKT in the Kimmay leave in and it works just as good. I used the KCKT in the beginning but my strands soaked it up quicker than my wallet could keep up so I switched to the Giovanni.

Please keep in mind that the Giovanni is a more of a protein leave in than the KCKT and anyone who is protein sensitive might want to avoid it. HTH

I use the Giovanni in the Kimmay conditioner also instead of KCNT. It works just as well and I have protein sensitive hair. My hair feels just as soft with either leave in. From the list of ingredients, I think the Giovanni leave in is mostly a moisturizer.

I use both bottles interchangeably. The KCNT has a slightly lighter hold than that of the Giovanni direct. Price wise I would prefer the giovanni but product wise I would actually prefer the kinky curly curling custard (rather than the leave-in)

I use Giovanni Direct and I like it. It's a bit heavy for my hair (2a, 3a) so I have to water it down. But I use it daily and will purchasing another bottle. Very affordable:yep:

I use the Giovanni in the Kimmay conditioner also instead of KCNT. It works just as well and I have protein sensitive hair. My hair feels just as soft with either leave in. From the list of ingredients, I think the Giovanni leave in is mostly a moisturizer.

I am glad it works for your protein sensitive hair. Some of the other LHCFers with protein sensitive hair have expressed that Giovanni's protein based products leave their hair dry and hard hence the note of caution.

I just got the opportunity to try KCKT. It has excellent slip. I actually have both Giovanni and KCKT in my hair right now, because the Giovanni feels more moisturizing though it's not as effective for detangling.

I noticed that KKNT feels like it coats my hair and it does have great slip. I also noticed that Giovanni leave in seems more moisturizing though.

Tried the Givanni just this past Saturday.

HATED IT. HATED IT WITH A FIERY BURNING PASSION.

I have no plans to ever use it again. It was too thick and dried with a film, not to mention it dried leaving my hair clumped and sort of dry. Disgusting. My vote is for anything other than that product.

I am going to have to go with KCKT! It has more slip and I have no problems with detangling (and I am 4b)! I have used Giovanni and it doesn't give me the same slip but it's still pretty good! HTH!

I have tried alot of leave in and I keep going back to Giovanni leave in because it thicker and it lays my hair down well. I've tried KCNT with the custard and alone it too thin and watery for me. Giovanni is also cheaper and easier to get; TJMax, Marshall, Walmart, and Target and many more!

I hated KCKT, it did nothing for my hair as far as moisturizing it or detangling. I love Giovanni, it detangles my hair wonderfully and it's moisturizing.

KT for me! It detangles my hair much better than GD, but I also think it may have to do with hair type, I have thick, 4 a/b hair.

Okay so is or isn't Giovanni Direct a protein? My hair dislikes both GDLI and KCKT individually. I tried KCKT within kimmay's leave in and worked decently. Haven't tried kim's leave in with GDLI.

I tried KCKT when I first BC'd and it did nothing, so I gave it to my sister. I am actually currently using Giovanni Direct and it seems pretty good. I'm not crazy about it though. I don't think I even know what I'm really looking for in a leave-in because I'm never really satisfied.:perplexed

I did not find GDLI. I purchased and diluted Giovanni SAS with distilled water and added couple tablespoons castor oil. It works great for detangling on dry hair, moisturize and seal on damp hair, good braid or twistouts.

I prefer KCKT, it's such a good product and mixed with a couple oils and it's ALL I use in my hair and since I've been using it I haven't noticed any trims! I use it straight on my hair and diluted some with water in a spray bottle for when I'm styling. It works really well and I even had to cancel a trim appt because there was just no point! I really HATE Giovanni Direct Leave in, I dont like the texture, the smell is okay, but it went on my hair too thick and white and left my hair a mess!

Back