GETTING BRAIDS FRIDAY

Wanda

Hi ladies, I need some advice. Since I am getting my individuals done this friday, what preshampoo/conditioner should I do prior. My hair is thin but somewhat healthy thanks to this board, but I need to give my hair a break from the pressing. I really need a protein treatment recipes like the mayonaise and egg regimen. Could someone please help me out.....

If I were you, I would stay away from the protein treatment before the braids. Because protein makes your hair somewhat hard, I have a sinking feeling that it will also be more likely to get dry and snap while it's in the braids. If someone has had an experience to the contrary, please share...

Anyway, I wore braids for the year I grew my perm out, so I would suggest the following:
- Do a hot oil treatment overnight with a mix of olive oil, coconut oil, and or shea butter. If you don't have all these things, pure olive oil is also okay.
- Wash with a very moisturizing shampoo (i.e. Cream of Nature, Aussie Moist, etc.).
- Definitely do a deep conditioner with a good thick moisturizing conditioner like Motions Moistureplus, Mizani Moisturefuse, or Keracare Humecto (which I've never tried but is apparently loved by all).
- Seal in the moisture with a leave in conditioner (i.e. Motions Nourishing Leave in or Infusium) and some type of curl activator (Worlds of Curls) or oil (again, you can use olive oil).
- And whatever you do, DO NOT LET THE BRAID LADY BREAK, SNAP, or YANK your hair!!! That is by far the most important braid tip
wink.gif

I agree with Miss Brown - you have to make your hair "elastic" to prevent breakage.

I usually put a henna on my hair before braids because it coats the hair but I am careful for follow up with a deep, moisturizing conditioner and a leave-in moisturizer.

You will love your braids! Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!!!!

Nina

Back