Getting Back to Basics

SouthernGirl

I LOVE this site because of all the product info. and regimens that all of you have shared, but do any of you ever wonder what our mothers and grandmothers did back in the day to acquire healthy hair and length? I've talked to my mom and grammy, and all they did was shampoo and condition w/some inexpensive product (I hear Milk Plus 6 was the bomb back in the day), grease their scalp (Bergamot, Sulfer 8, and Vaseline were the must-haves), wear in plaits or press n' curl.

That's IT! No Surge, no Salerm Wheat Germ Mask, Nexxus, or Protein Treatments and Reconstructors. Don't get me wrong, just like technology and everything else, we are far more advanced with hair care products and techniques based on research. There is so much information out there and we have far more spending power at our age, but I'd love to hear from those of you who are just keeping it simple (relaxed or natural) with your regimens and still attaining healthy hair!

SG /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Great post /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm natural and when I first went natural, I found myself having to buy all the "it" products and do all these things to my hair because that's what I saw everyone else on the hair boards doing. It seemed like someone would mention a product and the next day while I was out I'd see that product and have to have it. If someone said they tried a certain method of conditioning, there I was later on that day trying it too. I think when you frequent the different hair boards daily, it's easy to get caught up in the hype of it all.

Now, I've come to a point where I have the basic staples that work for me. I don't feel the need to buy every product that is raved about anymore. As far as my routine, I think that has been simplified too. I listen to my hair a lot more and it tells me what it needs. I still have a routine but if I slack off of it now, I don't care...it's not a big deal...and I love that feeling. I just focus on keeping my hair clean, in good condition, and healthy. I keep it in protective styles most of the time, but when I want to wear it out, I do.

I think the obsession with doing any and everything to keep my hair "perfect" has faded, I'm just enjoying my hair and as a result, it's looking better than ever /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yep SG...I totally feel you on this one. I just revamped my hair regimen and took it back to what I used when I was younger and had near-waist length hair. Sulfur 8 to grease my scalp, mane n'tail to wash and condition once a week. I'm still not going back to blow drying my hair like my mother used to do, but I think that minimal is the way to go with my hair. So far, it's working out pretty well /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hugs,
Crys

Well this isn't old school but I decided to weave it up and leave it alone. I've always gotten great length gains from braiding/weaving and since I found hair to match my texture and a cheap weaver I'm gonna stick to this until I reach my goal of full even below bra strap hair.

That's exactly what I do just the basics, shampoo, condition, followed by a light press and that's it. I have found that the less I handle my hair and focus more on keeping the ends moisturized I have no problems and lots of growth.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Definitely feeling this post.

I noticed that many VETERAN naturals state that when you first begin this process, it is part of the journey to try a whole bunch of things. Eventually you find what works and stick with that.

I have found that my hair does not like silicones, alchohol, too much oil.

I shampoo now with my shampoo bar.
Twist with shea butter.
Remoisturize an old twist out with something (Surge Moisture Max and now my new favorite... Oyin Shine + Define Styling serum

I would love to get down to truly poo bar my hair and that's it.

[ QUOTE ]
unlvgirl said:
That's exactly what I do just the basics, shampoo, condition, followed by a light press and that's it. I have found that the less I handle my hair and focus more on keeping the ends moisturized I have no problems and lots of growth.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, one of the newest queens of hair has spoken...makes sense to me. It seems a lot of the lengthy heads on this board follow a simple regimen. Less is more.

ITA, Less is More. I shampoo, condition, blow dry and hot curl every 2 weeks. I'm pretty faithful and consistent with my products, including grease. The only things that I do that aren't old school are protein treatments and hot oil treatments, but I also have permanent color which needs the extra care.

Oh yeah, I don't think women suffered as much damage as we do now from styling products, tight braids, bad weaves, harsh chemicals, etc... /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Ladies,

It's wonderful to read your very poignant responses. Mkstar-I am so with you, even though I'm not natural. This shows that no matter what state your hair is in, less is probably best. It's easy to fall into a PJ phase, but in the end, I do agree that you settle into what's best.

Unlvgirl- I'm surprised (although I shouldn't be) at the simplicity of your regimen! Your hair is beautiful.

I've looked at all of your albums. Keep doing whatever you're doing because they all look great!
SG

I wonder if diet may have been a large factor. Back in the day, didn't most women cook full, balanced meals? Perhaps the hair was receiving the internal nutrients it needed to stay strong and so, there was not a need for external super hair solvers.

Also, perhaps stress levels were lower?

Thanks Southerngirl, I am a reformed pj /images/graemlins/spank.gifI think at one time I owned everything out there. I had my cabinet under the sink filled with products that I never used or only used once.

Once I started to pay attention to my hair I only repurchased what really worked. Now I only buy three or four products. Like what was said before find out what works best for YOUR HAIR because everyone's hair is different. /images/graemlins/spank.gif

[ QUOTE ]
bajanplums1 said:
I wonder if diet may have been a large factor. Back in the day, didn't most women cook full, balanced meals? Perhaps the hair was receiving the internal nutrients it needed to stay strong and so, there was not a need for external super hair solvers.

Also, perhaps stress levels were lower?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point Bajanplums- diets and stress levels seem to be very different back then. With our busy lives, it's hard for many of us to eat a balanced diet. I can vouch for that!

[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
ITA, Less is More. I shampoo, condition, blow dry and hot curl every 2 weeks. I'm pretty faithful and consistent with my products, including grease. The only things that I do that aren't old school are protein treatments and hot oil treatments, but I also have permanent color which needs the extra care.

Oh yeah, I don't think women suffered as much damage as we do now from styling products, tight braids, bad weaves, harsh chemicals, etc... /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
That's one of the things I admire most about you and your regimen Kitchen, is that it is simple and seems pretty old school. I thought of you when I mentioned the different types of hair grease /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

I have also thought about this. In the 1900'th century when many women had extremely long hair, they didn't do anything but wash every now and then. Some may have used oils, but they just combed their hair and kept it in a bun/updo every day. Less is definately more.

Love this thread!

My mother used to always use mayo, straight out of the fridge on my hair, and eggs too. I didn't realize how wonderful that was until now.

One of the regimines that was popular was greasing the scalp and that, IMO, was the worst of all of the old-school regimines. My scalp never breathed and because my hair is coarse, curly and wavy, the oils never fell down the hair shaft, which is where it was really needed.

I think that one of the biggest myths is that our scalps need to be oiled, when it's really necessary that the hair itself, have some type of moisture.

My mom used mane and tail on my hair when I had a press and curl and my hair was past bra strap back then. /images/graemlins/think.gif

I think that many of the older remedies for the hair are still wonderful options, but I agree with Kitch as well that the widespread use of chemicals (color, relaxers) in our generation means the need for more care than was formerly required.

But there's something to be said for keeping it simple. My hair responds best when I consistently give it products it really likes and needs and nothing else. Natural rememdies are still a part of my regime tho. Titi's calendula water for when my scalp is irritated.....Olive Oil as a conditioner.....

All oldies, but goodies.

I know what you're saying SG. When I was small, my mom and I went to the neighborhood beautician for a press every 2 weeks. Other than just clipping our hair on top of our heads for bed (no satin anything), that's all we did. We also greased our scalps every night, and we'd even slather, (i do mean slather) grease over the length also. We've both always had a good length hair too. Now that I wash so much, I could never go two weeks anymore tho. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

ITA with what everything that you guys are saying /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But I cant let go of my Surge /images/graemlins/sekret.gif

Thanks Allandra and Webby /images/graemlins/smile.gif!

And agree with you Tracy about sticking to the oldies but goodies!!

SG

Unfortunately my mom's basics sucked big time! When I started caring for my own hair is when my hair reached it's longest point. My mom's answer to everything is GREASE and she was not big on regular washings. However I think that keeping a simple regime is best once you know what your hair likes because most women I know that have healthy long hair do not do a lot to it and they definitely do not "overstyle". /images/graemlins/smile.gif

all my mom used was bluemagic and water....but i dont think that i would have reached my ultimate length because she always used a hard bristle brush through the entire length of my hair to help it naturally curl after washing it.....which i dont think is good for natural or relaxed hair. If she knew what I knew now, she would have figured out that it doesnt take my hair much to curl up. I think the heavy grease weighed it down. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif My hair was long as a child, but i know for a fact that it was capable of being longer. I figure if I reached below brastrap length in 2001 when I was like 5'3, then as a child I should have been almost waist length if my mom knew what the hell she was doing. (sorry mom /images/graemlins/look.gif)

That's where the technolgy and research comes in to play. Overall, I believe what our ancestors did back in the day was good, because they did pretty well based on what they had available to them.

I say we stick to the things they did that worked, capitalize on the things our generation has learned (like minimizing heat and other simple tips), and just keep it simple by knowing what works for our individual hair types!

SG

Been thinking about this and started to create a new post but the good ole' search engine is saving the day once again!

I'm getting back to 'my' basics which I strayed away from in trying to incorporate others advices and routines. While some of my personal choices are not consistent with traditional old school hair remedies, I've learned a valuable lesson: find what works for YOU and be faithful to it.

ms_kenesha said:
Unfortunately my mom's basics sucked big time! When I started caring for my own hair is when my hair reached it's longest point. My mom's answer to everything is GREASE and she was not big on regular washings. However I think that keeping a simple regime is best once you know what your hair likes because most women I know that have healthy long hair do not do a lot to it and they definitely do not "overstyle". /images/graemlins/smile.gif

the same here/ my mom's basics were mixing, olive oil, castor oil, cod liver oil,vaseline, AND DAX because my hair was so dry:ohwell: needless to say my hair stayed at ear length for over a decade and my mom and grandmother, who were FIRM believers in grease, their hair was never longer than neck length.
so I'll be leaving those basics alone:lol:

milk plus 6 WAS the bomb (wow old thread hehe).

similar to creme of nature poo's but not stinky or yucky tasting (when you accidently get it in your mouth).

Back