Garlic Pill Users- Urgent Message

AgapeQueen

Ok ladies I have been experiencing some shedding due to hormonal changes from having a baby 6 months ago and using MT/OCT :ohwell:. Well I thought about jumping on the garlic pill bandwagon until I did a little research and found this:

dsGarlic.gif
Garlic Pills

Claims, Benefits: Lower blood cholesterol and blood pressure, prevent cancer, colds, diabetes, etc.
Bottom Line: There is no clear evidence that garlic pills are beneficial. No one knows what element in garlic is beneficial, if any. But eat all the garlic you like—it can't hurt, and might help.

Supplemental problems
Garlic supplements vary widely in their chemical composition, depending on the age of the garlic and how it is processed. There’s debate about which form—powder, oil, or aged “deodorized” garlic extract, for example—may be best; there is no accepted standard dose. Some products give “alliin” amounts. Alliin is the substance that is converted to allicin by the enzyme alliinase when the pill is swallowed. But unless the pill is enteric-coated, stomach acid can destroy the enzyme. Claims such as “allicin-rich” or “high potency” don’t mean much either. And a new report from ConsumerLab.com found that 8 of 14 supplements tested had problems—for instance, they did not meet label claims or were contaminated with lead.
Garlic supplements may increase the risk of bleeding if taken with warfarin (Coumadin), aspirin, or other drugs that decrease blood clotting, or possibly with fish-oil pills. They may interact with some medications for diabetes, HIV disease, hypertension, cancer, and cholesterol. Some supplements may cause nausea, heartburn, bad breath, and body odor.
woDotted.gif

Bottom line: We don’t recommend garlic supplements. Even if they do lower blood cholesterol, which is uncertain, the effect is relatively small, especially compared to medication. And no one knows what form or dose would be best. But there’s no harm in eating more garlic. Keep in mind that cooking garlic at high temperature destroys potentially active components. On the other hand, some people find raw garlic too strong-smelling or irritating to the mouth and stomach. So enjoy it as you like it. A milder option is elephant garlic. It’s not really garlic (it’s more like a leek), but it has the same types of compounds, only in smaller amounts.
UC Berkeley Wellness Letter, October 2006
For the full article please view: http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/ds/dsGarlicPills.php

1Pixel.gif
What do you all think? Are there any other natural ways to combat shedding?

Interesting....I wasn't aware of the info you provided but I personally don't enjoy garlic pills because I feel like I'm constantly burping up garlic when I take them...I'm guessing they do irritate my stomach.....never took them for hair-shedding purposes though, I was told they help with my menstrual cycle.

Wow! Thanks for posting this info.

I take the odorless garlic pills almost daily for shedding and I'm glad I read about not mixing them with fish oil. That's exactly what I take with them. I'll just have to spread it out to take them at different times at least. I'll continue to take them since I haven't had problems.

Thanks again!

I've been taking Garlinase 4000 since I came to the US, and trust me, when I don't take them, my immunity is affected and I do get ill. So they don't seem to hurt me and I have no plan of stopping. Yes, if I take them with aspirin as I started to do, thanks to Dr Oz, they did cause broken capillaries in my eyes due to thinning blood. So I don't do aspirin anymore.

I do eat garlic in food as if it's running out of style, but so far Garlinase 4000 aka Garlinase Fresh has proven very useful to me. I recommended it to someone else on the forum and she said it helped stop her shedding. So *shrug* while some of these reports might be true/accurate, the skeptic part in me would not put it past the huge pharmaceutical companies losing customers to natural remedies to make a whole song and dance about products which are less harmful than the alternatives they offer just so they can stay in business. :rolleyes:

ETA As skeptical as I might be of the source of this news, I do agree natural is always best...and yes, one would do well to replace pills with the actual bulb.

Last edited:
Tthanks ladies!!! A sista was scared to take them..:perplexed
i will go for it now though cause I want to keep all the strands that I can...:grin:

I've never taken garlic supplements although I do intend to but in the past using it topically helped alot with shedding.

SHeesh, I just bought some today!!! I've taken them before, w/o any problems, but thanks for bumping this warning up. I've started back on MT and don't want to lose the growth. Once I'm done w/ the bottle, I'll probably won't repurchase. I'll just up my garlic intake by incorporating it into my meals.

I use garlic pills and I've found them quite helpful. I think they are a great natural alternative to excessive hair shedding. My shedding problem has significantly decreased over the time I have used MT and I am currently pregnant. I will continue to use them because they have other great benefits as well. I hope that if you do decide to choose another option, research it before you use it. Some products may have another reverse reaction to the body.

Sometimes I wonder who publishes these articles. The source is only looking out for their best interest. Nevertheless good info to know.

i watched a program that talkes about how chineese use garlic everywhere on food. They do that to prevent from deseases, getting ill and all that....blood circulation and more... I have a bag of garlic ! i put it in almost all my dishes. I love it! thats how i use it i eat enough garlis so don't think i need the pills

Just wanted to add that my grandma took these for at least 50 yrs and was almost 90 when she passed. IMHO its just like how they say eat eggs and then don't eat eggs, drink red wine and then red wine is bad for you!

I ran into trouble with garlic pills due to a condition I have - venus reflux disease- basically blood has trouble going my legs - so I have vericose veins sometimes achy swollen legs - anyways i started getting a discoloration on one leg - went to dermatologist - he asked if i was taking supplements many! he told me lay off the garlic somehow it caused my blood to be to thin which caused capillaries to break. Since I have been off the garlic the problem is now gone. Not only that I would often take asprin too while taking garlic! It is a good idea to research before taking supplements.

Thanks to the op for providing this, good looking out!
Reading the thread, it sounds like most will continue to use garlic supplements, but will change when and how they take them (like not combining w/fish oil). :up: Which I'm glad to see.

Last edited:
Back