fusion weave extensions are WAY overpriced!!!

ladylibra

my sister got this done not too long ago... but she didn't want to have to pay for maintenance appointments. so her extensions were starting to get worn and fall out. we got the bright idea to try and do them ourselves, so we did a search on Folica and found this:

http://www.folica.com/Solia_Hair_Exte_d1885.html

the exact same thing her stylist used! so naturally we bought it. we set aside an entire Saturday to re-do her hair, since the day she first got it done it took over 5 hours. it took maybe an hour and a half to get the remaining extensions out... we just used baby oil at the base of the fusion to loosen it up and they peeled right off. then she went and washed her hair, blowdried it and flat ironed it.

can you believe, it only took me 3 hours to re-do them... and i added more hair than her stylist did? :eek:

this was seriously so much easier than we thought it would be... all you have to do is take a section of hair about the same size as the extension (or smaller, if you're going for volume), place the extension right on top of the hair about 1/2 inch from the scalp, clamp, remove, wait 3-5 seconds for it to cool, then roll it between your fingers like a little lump of clay. the stuff sticks to itself so you don't even get your fingers messy! if you wait a few seconds for it to cool, it is still pliable but barely warm and doesn't burn you at all.

sure it was a little time-consuming... but how on Earth does someone justify charging thousands for such a simple process? the only really hard part was making sure i left out enough hair in the back, sides and front so that it looked natural even when in a ponytail! :lol:

I think the fusion hair is really nice, I watched a video of it once will I was getting my hair braided. But wouldn't it be damagin to your real hair? And how do you take it out?

MzLady78 said:
I think the fusion hair is really nice, I watched a video of it once will I was getting my hair braided. But wouldn't it be damagin to your real hair? And how do you take it out?

not really. well at least not in my sister's case...

here is a pic of the fusion hair so you can see what i mean:
fusionweave.jpg

those things on the end of the hair are keratin adhesive... and baby oil makes it disinigrate easily.

my sister's hair is actually doing better with the extensions in, although she did fry the crap outta the ends of that weave hair, LOL! :lol: having those extensions actually helped me prove a lot of points i was making to her about hair care - especially about heat. when she saw the damage she did to the ends of the extensions from constantly using a curling iron, she admitted, "wow, you were right sis... i really was breaking my hair off faster than it was growing in!"

glad she is finally listening... :look:

she got an inch of new growth (which she relaxed while the weave was in). and she actually retained that length... her hair is an inch longer. :yay: so far, it's working well for her. i just gotta make sure she keeps up her good habits now... ;)

ladylibra said:
not really. well at least not in my sister's case...

here is a pic of the fusion hair so you can see what i mean:
fusionweave.jpg

those things on the end of the hair are keratin adhesive... and baby oil makes it disinigrate easily.

my sister's hair is actually doing better with the extensions in, although she did fry the crap outta the ends of that weave hair, LOL! :lol: having those extensions actually helped me prove a lot of points i was making to her about hair care - especially about heat. when she saw the damage she did to the ends of the extensions from constantly using a curling iron, she admitted, "wow, you were right sis... i really was breaking my hair off faster than it was growing in!"

glad she is finally listening... :look:

she got an inch of new growth (which she relaxed while the weave was in). and she actually retained that length... her hair is an inch longer. :yay: so far, it's working well for her. i just gotta make sure she keeps up her good habits now... ;)

Oh okay, thanks!

I was so mad they didn't go into that in the video, cause it was really trippin me out, lol.

my mom did one of those once before. (she's a stylist) they never mentioned the whole keratin adhesive goin` to hell if you oil it, next thing she knew they slipped right off! boy was she pissed.

MzLady78 said:

In the long run, no matter how well you take care of it - it's extremely damaging. Because it pulls right at the root of your hair and is basically bonded (glue).

JLove74 said:
In the long run, no matter how well you take care of it - it's extremely damaging. Because it pulls right at the root of your hair and is basically bonded (glue).

i think it can be... especially if you are going for very long/very thick hair. i've seen women get this done and go from 4-5 inches of hair to mid-back... sorry, but that much weight on such short hair doesn't even make sense! and then thin-haired women who get weave attached that is 2x thicker (or more) than the section of hair it's being attached to.

i'm working on pics of my work, i promise... my sis is always at work or class so we haven't had time to see each other. i have the results of her 1st fusion weave if you want an idea of how it looks...

lhcf1.jpg

lhcf2.jpg

Back