Fuller bun?

neenzmj

Any of you ladies have a creative solution of making your buns look fuller? I've done the donut, but I'd prefer not to go that route -- I'm looking to make a soft, natural-looking full bun. Any suggestions for "fillers," etc.?

I wear my UPA pinned under.

000_0721-vi.jpg

Good question. I'm looking for idea's for a fuller bun too.

I'm no bun pro but I use a couple big scunci's first to make the base then wrap my hair loosely around that. It makes it twice as big as normal. I'm thinking of making my own donut bun thingy using the two socks (I can't remember how to do this so if anyone has instructions please hook me up, lol) and wrapping my hair around that to make it even bigger.

Pokahontas said:

I'm no bun pro but I use a couple big scunci's first to make the base then wrap my hair loosely around that. It makes it twice as big as normal. I'm thinking of making my own donut bun thingy using the two socks (I can't remember how to do this so if anyone has instructions please hook me up, lol) and wrapping my hair around that to make it even bigger.

Hmmm...I may have to try this. But do the socks dry/snag your hair...or are you using silky socks?? :lachen: I'm crackin' up but I really don't know the answer.

I'm no bun pro either I just wind my hair up and put a scrunchie on it :(

Pixel Lady said:
Hmmm...I may have to try this. But do the socks dry/snag your hair...or are you using silky socks?? :lachen: I'm crackin' up but I really don't know the answer.

I'm no bun pro either I just wind my hair up and put a scrunchie on it :(
I've actually never tried the sock thing and I also was wondering if it dried your hair out. I think I'll be ok with it though because I don't bun much. I think Sistaslick had the instructions on how to make it in her fotki.

Pixel Lady said:
But do the socks dry/snag your hair...or are you using silky socks?? :(

I think people either wind synthetic hair or satin around the sock/donut to protect their hair from it. I believe DSD and VWVixxen have these methods in their albums.

PatTodd said:
I think people either wind synthetic hair or satin around the sock/donut to protect their hair from it. I believe DSD and VWVixxen have these methods in their albums.
Thanks for posting that. That's a good idea!

Okay, I know you said you don't want to go the donut route, but that's the best way I know. I outgrew my foam donut and needed something a lot fuller as well. My bun without the donut is just a little thing and doesn't look as polished without a foundation so I found these online. They are great! They are thick and made of this tight, plastic, mesh-like material. You can leave them straight to make a french roll or you and bend them into a circle to make a bun. They have snaps on the end, just like the snaps on baby t-shirts, and they snap together. To make them easy on my hair, I went to the fabric store and got a soft satin remnant of fabric....I found a black piece, about a yard for $1.69...perfect! I had to sneak and rub it over my head to make sure it was just right!:sekret: I was slick about it though.:lol: Then I got a pack of no-sew tape....the kind you iron. So I cut the fabric to the right length, leaving a little extra where the rat snaps in the middle. I folded the fabric around it and laid the tape where the ends met and ironed it together. When the edges were cool, I slid the rat in and snapped together. I folded one end inside the other to make it neater. Oh, I also taped all the raw edges first to make neat seams, but you don't have to do that. It may sound like a little much or complicated, but trust me it took about 15 minutes, if that long. I love these buns. I bought the 10 inch and 8 inch. The 10 inch is huge. It makes a really big bun, but it's cute and looks really "tropical" with a flower added to the side. My daughter said I would look like a fool with that big ol bun on my head, but she was hatin big time when she saw me with it on and my clip-on flower on the side. Okay...you didn't ask about all that but y'all know I get carried away...Anyway..the 8 inch is perfect.....bigger and fuller than the foam donut, but completely natural looking. I didn't get the 6 inch cause I thought it would be too small, but they might be cute for a fake-me-out figure 8 bun. Oh and these hold their shape and don't smush like the foam donuts.

I got them from http://www.adiscountbeauty.com/page73.html

Hope this helps!;)

hairartrats.jpg

Lavendar said:
Okay, I know you said you don't want to go the donut route, but that's the best way I know. I outgrew my foam donut and needed something a lot fuller as well. My bun without the donut is just a little thing and doesn't look as polished without a foundation so I found these online. They are great! They are thick and made of this tight, plastic, mesh-like material. You can leave them straight to make a french roll or you and bend them into a circle to make a bun. They have snaps on the end, just like the snaps on baby t-shirts, and they snap together. To make them easy on my hair, I went to the fabric store and got a soft satin remnant of fabric....I found a black piece, about a yard for $1.69...perfect! I had to sneak and rub it over my head to make sure it was just right!:sekret: I was slick about it though.:lol: Then I got a pack of no-sew tape....the kind you iron. So I cut the fabric to the right length, leaving a little extra where the rat snaps in the middle. I folded the fabric around it and laid the tape where the ends met and ironed it together. When the edges were cool, I slid the rat in and snapped together. I folded one end inside the other to make it neater. Oh, I also taped all the raw edges first to make neat seams, but you don't have to do that. It may sound like a little much or complicated, but trust me it took about 15 minutes, if that long. I love these buns. I bought the 10 inch and 8 inch. The 10 inch is huge. It makes a really big bun, but it's cute and looks really "tropical" with a flower added to the side. My daughter said I would look like a fool with that big ol bun on my head, but she was hatin big time when she saw me with it on and my clip-on flower on the side. Okay...you didn't ask about all that but y'all know I get carried away...Anyway..the 8 inch is perfect.....bigger and fuller than the foam donut, but completely natural looking. I didn't get the 6 inch cause I thought it would be too small, but they might be cute for a fake-me-out figure 8 bun. Oh and these hold their shape and don't smush like the foam donuts.

Hope this helps!;)

Girl, you have me crackin up:lachen: sounds like something my daughter would say/do!

Do you wrap something around them before you use it?

Thanks for the info!

Pixel Lady said:
Girl, you have me crackin up:lachen: sounds like something my daughter would say/do!

Do you wrap something around them before you use it?

Thanks for the info!

DDs, gotta love em. I tease my DD all the time when I'm wearing something cute or my hair is looking tight....I switch all around her then push her with my hips...she pops her lips and says "you get on my nerves!" Cracks me UP!!!:lachen: :lachen:

N-T-Way....
I just use a large scrunchie, the same way I did the foam donut. These foundations are larger so the scrunchie kinda gets hidden underneath, but that's good. I use the scrunchie to attach my clip-on flowers.

I need to take a picture of my current bun.

I had the same issue. I pull my hair back in a ponytail and divide into about 5 sections. I turn under the bottom piece and secure with a mini claw clip, I do the same for the sides, and the top. I normally have one longer piece in the middle, I coil that piece into the center of the bun and secure with the last mini clip. It makes for an interesting, full looking bun.

sunnydaze said:
I need to take a picture of my current bun.

I had the same issue. I pull my hair back in a ponytail and divide into about 5 sections. I turn under the bottom piece and secure with a mini claw clip, I do the same for the sides, and the top. I normally have one longer piece in the middle, I coil that piece into the center of the bun and secure with the last mini clip. It makes for an interesting, full looking bun.

Now that sounds really interesting, and I'm imagining that's really cute. Take a pic next time for us bun wearers....pretty please.;)

For a really full bun, I put my hair in a ponytail and secure with a Scunci mini-scruchie. Then I just coil my hair around the scrunchie, fan it out and tuck the ends and secure with a Good Hair Days pin.

I also create a similar bun, without the scruchie but with the same technique, fanning the hair out and securing with a long Tenderheaded.com pin.

Lavendar said:

Hope this helps!;)

hairartrats.jpg

I hope you have some pics cause you know we want to see them(or at least I do):)

For the bun in my avatar, I started with a 2nd or 3rd day wash & go.
I stretched it a little and twisted, took my small scunci, pulled through about 50-60% of my hair and tucked the rest.

I uploaded a pic of my hair in the bun below along with the clips I use. I get a fuller looking bun if I wash my hair, let it air dry and then put in the bun.

Morepics5-6-07008me.jpg
Morepics5-6-07011me2.jpg
Morepics5-6-07019clip.jpg

sunnydaze said:
I uploaded a pic of my hair in the bun below along with the clips I use. I get a fuller looking bun if I wash my hair, let it air dry and then put in the bun.

Morepics5-6-07008me.jpg
Morepics5-6-07011me2.jpg

This is too cute I might have to give this a try.

Pokahontas said:

That's what I do.

sunnydaze said:

Morepics5-6-07008me.jpg
Morepics5-6-07011me2.jpg

Your bun is really cute. Imma try this! Thanks!;)

I clip in extensions..and then I do the donut. Only I don't have to use the scrunchie, cuz I already have hair in it..which makes it look a bit more natural. Also, the messy buns can look fuller as wel.

Back