Frustrated & Angry! Please Help!

unaltered.

My mom is making me very frustrated right now.
frown.gif

At the beginning of the year, I really became desperate to find out how to better take care of my hair. Now my hair is growing and I'm trying to extend my relaxer till next month (last relaxer was August 22nd) but my mom is putting me down and telling me that I need to get it done and I'm trying to explain to her that it's not good to relax my hair so often. She says our hair texture is different (which it's actually 4A/B) from all those other people (Cathy Howse, people on the board, etc.)so we need to relax more.

Help me out here. It's kinda obvious on my hairline and I've started taking MSM along with my multivitamin. I get the rest smoothe when I deep condition. How can I smoothe the front hairline enough?
confused.gif
Thanks!

Hey Relaxed_Diva, I'm not an expert on relaxed hair or smoothing growth but I'm sure someone who is will be on shortly. I just wanted to give you a big hug and tell you to assure you that you'll get 'nuff ideas here.

Incidentally, Peachtree (a member who is Feature of this Month) learned to take care of her growth so well that she so fell in love with it and decided to transition. Go read her regimen under Feature of the Month for starters, while you wait for more suggestions.

Good luck in finding something that'll win you the peace you deserve.

[ QUOTE ]
relaxed_diva03 said:
my mom is putting me down and telling me that I need to get it done and I'm trying to explain to her that it's not good to relax my hair so often. She says our hair texture is different (which it's actually 4A/B) from all those other people (Cathy Howse, people on the board, etc.)so we need to relax more.

Help me out here. It's kinda obvious on my hairline and I've started taking MSM along with my multivitamin. I get the rest smoothe when I deep condition. How can I smoothe the front hairline enough?
confused.gif
Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

relaxed_diva03,

I'm sorry to hear that your mom is trippin' on you. As bad as it may sound, you might just have to keep your hair journey to yourself or only discuss it with people you know are going to support you.

About relaxing...It seems that you are looking to go three months in between relaxers (August - November), and this is indeed possible. I'm a 4a/b as well, and I relaxer every four months - my last relaxer was July 7 and I'll be relaxing Nov 21.

In my opinion, 4a/b hair will be better off if relaxed sparingly. I use a gel/moisturizer product from Sally's to smooth down my hair once my newgrowth starts to get crazy. This is what I use:
425015.jpg

Here's the product description:

-Controls, calms and smoothes frizzy, curly or wavy hair without chemicals.
-Straightens and softens tight, frizzy curls
-Chemical-free, alcohol-free
-Adds volume, texture and shine
-Contains aloe, vitamins and protein-enriched

HTH

Well Diva I am not sure about how you dry your hair but when i air dry my hair I use the pony tail method. While i do this I tie a scarf around my edges and they always dry straight and stay that way until i wash again (I am 8 weeks into my relaxer). In fact, I did not air dry my hair correctly the other day because i am was in a rush and my hair was super kinky but my edges were flat.
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

SweetPea,

Thought I was the only one using Fantasia's Frizz Buster gel! It's my favorite gel for smoothing my hair. It doesn't harden and doesn't flake AND has UV protection!

scratchchin.gif
I'm gonna have to keep that Frizz Buster Gel in mind for when it gets close to touch-up time!!!
smile.gif
Thanks, ladies!!

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
SweetPea,

Thought I was the only one using Fantasia's Frizz Buster gel! It's my favorite gel for smoothing my hair. It doesn't harden and doesn't flake AND has UV protection!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hairlove,

Nope, you're not alone. This product is the bomb!

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
scratchchin.gif
I'm gonna have to keep that Frizz Buster Gel in mind for when it gets close to touch-up time!!!
smile.gif
Thanks, ladies!!

[/ QUOTE ]

No problemo
cool.gif

Thank you ladies for all the encouragement!
wave.gif
I love this board. I will definately stop by Sally's for that gel. If anyone else has suggestions, please post!
smile.gif

Hey relaxed diva. The scarf trick works! After applying your product tie down a scarf for like 15-30 mins. The thread that nonie linked has several suggestions that I have heard really work such as castor oil,coconut oil, and wild growth oil. And let us know how it goes.

i use my usual ge/activator mix, but when my hair is really stubborn, i use Beyond the Zone Stiff Head:

140106.jpg

it's like a wax. i get it at Sally's. i like it because with the push-up applicator, i can apply directly on the hair that's being stubborn. then i tie a scarf around my hairline. the thing i like most is if i comb or brush my hair again later, it isn't stiff.

I've tried the Beyond the Zone before. I didn't have any new growth though, I was just messing around with my cousins hair products
laugh.gif
I think it would work. If I remember correctly, the main ingredient is castor oil.

Me again! I stopped by Sally's and they didnt have the frizz buster so I got this: http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/product.asp?pf%5Fid=631050&dept%5Fid=1340
Proclaim Crystal Ice Smooth Styling Pomade

-Adds moisture, shine and texture without leaving a sticky, greasy feel
-Smoothes, straightens and defines wavy or hard-to-manage hair
-Can be used on relaxed, permed or color-treated hair of all textures and types
-Perfect for natural and "wet" looks
-Water soluble, alcohol-free formula leaves no build-up
-Eliminates frizzies

So far, so good! Thanks everyone!
drunk.gif

My mother is the same way she is so quick to say "Kenesha you need a perm"
laugh.gif
I can laugh now, but it used to piss me off!
mad.gif
Everyone gave you good recs for keeping the frizzies at bay, but I just wanted to tell you you're not alone and soon your mom will be saying what mine is saying now. "oooh how did you get your hair to grow so much!" then you'll have the last laugh!
laugh.gif

LoL! Thank you ms kenesha! Sometimes she's like "Your hair is growing" but I guess since I'm trying to stretch till the next relaxer, she's actin' funny!

Back