Fox News covers the story of natural hair inorder to work out

ThePerfectScore

http://www.bellasugar.com/3022987?page=0,0#comment-4919999

During all my years in Chicago, I never saw newscaster Robin Robinson with anything but a sleek relaxer. However, she recently opted for a more natural style for a segment on African-American hair and the gym. As she notes — and Curly Bella reiterates — getting from curly to straight hair is enough of a process itself . . . then sweating it out at the gym is just like washing money down the drain. Instead of making a definitive choice between straight tresses or healthy priorities, the piece points out, there are plenty of other hairstyles that promote easier gym visits. Check out this video and share your reactions in the comments below.

This is a story from Teamsugar.com I did not write this^^^^^

I hope this hasn't been posted before. If it has Mods erase it.

But I honestly think their connection about relaxed hair preventing women of color from working out is soooo stupid. Sure some people don't work out because of their hair. But come on a choice between a hair style and your health you'd be stupid to choose hair. I am aware there are millions of women in the black community whose hair or the hair they bought is their life, but they need to change their priorities. I'm relaxed and when my hair gets sweaty and nasty I will co-wash it and let it air dry in a bun. I think a slick back bun is both professional and chic. Y'all watch ANTM and you know if you want to look couture, but that hair in a bum. The main argument of the newscast is that natural hair isnt as professional, so women keep their relaxed hair. Whatever.

Also I'm mad she ended the news cast with:
"I'm here to inform you, not to startle you or distract you from my appearance..." (She made it seem she grew a mustache. Natural hair is not scary, if it's healthy)
" I'm kinda enjoying it, If you don't insist that I remove it, we'll see." Plus she's like ethnic hair holds the curl longer, then she says "one of the advantages of having ethnic hair. THANK GOODNESS THERE IS ONE."

What?!?! She she crazy!? That's major self-hate. Only one advantage of having ethnic hair. I for one love my hair for many reason. And get a head full of strong, healthy natural or relaxed ethnic hair, it's the most beautiful thing on earth!

And can y'all tell me why they had her up there with that lame white guy? I mean there's nothing wrong with him being white and male, but he honestly cannot relate at alllllll to any of her hair problems since she is not only a female, but black.

Last edited:
I think that story was kind of stupid
I'm mad she came up with that story. She was reaching...

well I watched it all the way through, it was okay I guess...she fooled me she ain't even natural.

Who haven't heard a girl saying ''Aw man im sweating my perm out!'':rolleyes:

But this having a segment in the news is stretching! We dont need to be telling tells from the hood then link it to obesity and whatnot. lol

and what the... HEY! shes not natural.. that woman got a ''CURL'' !

Last edited:
IMO if you don't want to work out you'll find any way to avoid it, even if you have to blame your hair.
I'm natural and I won't "mess up" my hair and still find a way to avoid it :lol:

LOL, why would this even be national news? Who cares besides us Black folks? I can imagine a bunch of clueless White folks watching this and not being able to understand this, especially the whole "sweating out perms" thing.

Speaking of that, I am pretty sure there are tons of White women with perms - curly or relaxed, and I don't think anyone is connecting that to their obesity, lol.

I really wish certain conversations were left for Black folks to discuss amongst themselves. The whole nation does not need to decide whether or not relaxed hair is incompatible with an active lifestyle.

I guess if you're natural it would be a problem. Since Im relaxed, I just co-wash, moisturize, oil, bun and keep it moving...

Okay, was anyone else annoyed at the use of "ethnic hair"? What is "ethnic hair"? Lol, it's like when White folks want to say Black people, they say "urban" people.

I guess if you're natural it would be a problem. Since Im relaxed, I just co-wash, moisturize, oil, bun and keep it moving...

I don't think it's a problem for naturals either. As someone said in a different thread, no one breaks into that deep of a sweat to make your whole head revert. And for those of us who don't straighten, we just co-wash and all that too.

I'm not gonna lie I sweat heave an on my scalp so whn my hair is done I avoid the gym and often wished i was natural so I could do a wash and go n keep it moving! it IS a waste of money 2 work out after u get ur hair done, might as well not get it done

While I'm mad this was "news" we all know it's true. Maybe not for you personally but you know someone - relaxed or natural straightened with heat who skips working out if they have a fresh press or relaxer. I've done it. When I was freshman in college I had a fitness professor who HATED it when she heard girls complain or drop the class when they found out they had to swim (HBCU) She said one of the main reasons she went natural was she found out she was pre-diabetic and being so worried about having a professional appearance she would skip cardio as not to sweat out her wrap and ended up with full blown diabetes. According to her that was the moment she decided she would never put her appearance before her health.

My best friends are relaxed (well, one is transitioning), and they both complained about not being able to do anything with their hair after working out. I don't get it...I would assume they could just do like you and throw it in a bun. They both said their edges get nappy and the roots get puffy and they hate it.

My best friends are relaxed (well, one is transitioning), and they both complained about not being able to do anything with their hair after working out. I don't get it...I would assume they could just do like you and throw it in a bun. They both said their edges get nappy and the roots get puffy and they hate it.

If I didn't wet bun everyday I would say the same thing. I'm still trying to figure out how to work out this week without sweating so much I set my scalp a blaze when I texlax on Thursday night.

Back