For those who are honestly Post Relaxing/ Example(s) 12 weeks and beyond!

Highly Favored8

Blessings all,
I am 5 weeks post and have mad new growth! Now my hair dresser was saying that it was pollution build up????:wallbash: Are you Kidding me look at all of my staples I am using at the bottom!:perplexed! I have another post in the forum after this one pray for me!

I am starting this post b/c I would like to know what and how you all are taking care of your hair while it is in this stage?

How are you all wearing your hair?

Is this good for your hair to relax your hair past 8 weeks, I am reading where it is not good for your hair when you go past 8 weeks???
My hair dresser says so:lachen:! I think other wise by the way the ladies post here about allowing relaxers to go past 8 weeks!

My last relaxer affrim was 12-19-07 5 weeks post mad new growth!
Cannot wait to finally post pictures!:wallbash:
Yes, I do use Sulu Max Gro/ Hair skin nail vitamans:grin:
My next relaxer is 3-25-08 :yep:
I am APL lenght :look:
Goal 12-31-2008 BSL:lick:.

Will be posting my pictures soon!:blush:

Hey Highlyfavored2008~I am 22 weeks post relaxer. All is well. My current style is cornrows. I'm in my 2nd and last week of wearing this small cornrow style. Next weekend, I will have another braided style-large cornrows. Actually, I will be wearing braids this entire year. I will relax when my hair tells me to with ORS.

Previously I have strecthed by wearing phony ponies and wigs.

I am about 16-17 weeks post relaxer. I won't be relaxing my hair until May or beyond. Right now I am bunning which is a bit of a challenging sometimes getting through the new growth. I cowash about 2-3 a week and shampoo and dc on the weekend (usually Sunday). I use ORS carrot oil and avocado oil for my scalp. I am experimenting with MN on my edges because they are practically non existent. I have been dabbling with shea butter and I just bought some coconut oil and castor oil that I am not sure what I want to do with just yet. I would also like to buy some Vatakia (sp?) and Amla oil. I tie my head up every night with a satin wrap. I am still trying to get a solid regimen with staples products.

I think that many ladies stretch past 8 weeks. I think it depends on how well your hair responds to stretching. Some ladies experience ill effects such as breaking and excessive shedding, while others only relax two to three times per year. There is a sticky for relaxer stretching that has lots of great advice. I think that as long as you don't have breakage that it's ok. I've only stretched to 12 weeks post but I plan on going 4 months this time around.

Hey Highlyfavored2008~I am 22 weeks post relaxer. All is well. My current style is cornrows. I'm in my 2nd and last week of wearing this small cornrow style. Next weekend, I will have another braided style-large cornrows. Actually, I will be wearing braids this entire year. I will relax when my hair tells me to with ORS.

Previously I have strecthed by wearing phony ponies and wigs.

If you go this long with out relaxers so you do not need to trim?
Do you deep condition each week?
Thanks for your response!:grin:

I think that many ladies stretch past 8 weeks. I think it depends on how well your hair responds to stretching. Some ladies experience ill effects such as breaking and excessive shedding, while others only relax two to three times per year. There is a sticky for relaxer stretching that has lots of great advice. I think that as long as you don't have breakage that it's ok. I've only stretched to 12 weeks post but I plan on going 4 months this time around.

Thank you
do you remember the sticky??

Very nice fotki pictures of your growth progress:yep:

I cannot wait until my fotki is up very soon!

Im 13 weeks post right now and when i stretched last time i thought i wouldnt do it again because the middle of my head was very dry and then i realized i was putting MN straight on my scalp with no oils and it was making it very very dry. so now i oil my scalp every other night with an MN mix and vatika oil and moisturize the strands with profectiv moisturizer and megagrowth and seal some of the shaft and the ends with castor oil. also since (as you can imagine) my ng is something vicious i just deep condition it 2x a week do a protein treatment like every 4-6 weeks (or if i take braids out) detangle with my fingers and put it in 2 plaits and wear a hair scarf (they have really nice scarf fabric at the fabric store) because trying to comb that stuff is not what's up and i KNOW will end up doing more harm than good. When I actually learn to rollersets i think i will try that more!! But my hair is very moisturized and growing like a weed

I am 17 weeks post and I deal with the new growth by using Amla oil on the new growth especially in the crown area, like a half a capful on the crown and a little bit all ont he roots of rest of the hair. This is a great detangler. I also rinse with Amla oil (thanks Sareca) after washing. But the biggest concern is how well does your hair handle stretching. Strecthing just for the sake of stretching can be damaging to your hair and lead to alot of breakage and unnecessary hair loss.

Right now, I am only 7 weeks post, but I have gone to 20 weeks before with great results. My 20 weeker put me close to APL, until I had a set back from not paying attention to retaining and focusing more on growing.
Now that I learned my lesson:

I am in braids, that I did myself.
I have alot of NG now. I would say a solid inch or more everywhere on my scalp.
I don't plan to relax my hair until Dec 2008...then again..lately I've been thinking of waiting even longer than that.
I HAVE done this before I was with LHCF and before I even thought about growing my hair super long. It just seemed like common sense for me at the time (back in college) to wait to relax so that my hair could regain it's strength. I always had full "newscaster" like hair, now that I recall.

Now that I am actually TRYING to grow my hair out super long "stretching" will be a regular part of my growth/retaining routine...but then again so will braids, weaves, prepooing,co-washing.

Well I am 29 weeks post (June 29, 2007) and I swear if not for my rollersets, and Maxiglide...I might be screaming by now. I would say my dom conditioner and aurveydic (sp) rinse but I have only just started that in the past few weeks. Wait, I have been using the Silicon and DFina D for about 4 months so maybe.

I stretched by accident for 14 weeks in mid 2007 when my long time NYC stylist retired and moved to PA. It took a while to find someone else and once I did I stretched for a little over 18 weeks. It was really not difficult since I wore a weave for about 7 weeks near the end and for the last couple of weeks I did braid outs. I had no adverse effects and plan to stretch 12 - 16 weeks regularly.

Last edited:
I'm 1 year and 2 months post relaxer - with a ton of new growth. Weekly I wash and DC with Aveda Damage Remedy, rollerset (sometimes with a blow out, other times I just let the curls fall). For moisturizer I use Elasta QP Mango butter and whatever oil I grab first (avocado, mango, or amla). Trim every other month.

JLove74, being 1 year and 2 months post relexer, how do you manage breakage and shedding?

I am NEW to LHCF and trying to stretched my relexer until 4/1/08, but i am having some breakage right now. At this current time, i am about to breakdown and go to my hairdresser and have her relexe and trim my ends.:sad:

I'm 16wks post today and my weaves and more recently my cornrows have been helping me to manage my NG successfully. I apply my MN mix every other day, moisturize with NTM leave in and seal my ends with vatika oil. I redo my cornrows @ least once p/wk. I'll be washing and clarifying today. My next touch up will be on saturday.

Which reminds me i have to change my count down time:wallbash:

I have stretched for 6 months at a time. But my hair grows very slowly. If i relaxed every 6 weeks then i would be overlapping and that isnt good. I like to use oil on my ng to soften it and then it becomes very easy to work with.

JLove74, being 1 year and 2 months post relexer, how do you manage breakage and shedding?

I am NEW to LHCF and trying to stretched my relexer until 4/1/08, but i am having some breakage right now. At this current time, i am about to breakdown and go to my hairdresser and have her relexe and trim my ends.:sad:

If I notice more than normal shedding - I go back to my old faithful, Alter Ego Hot Garlic treatments and after a few things settle down. For breakage, thank goodness, I only had a little bit in the neckline. And I just had to baby it - low manipulation, moisturizer.

I have stretched to 17 weeks before without problems. I am 13 weeks post now having rough time styling my hair. Thank goodness work from home would not want anyone to see my hair now.

Problems having listed

My hair will not lay down flat in front
New growth in back tuff to detangle now
Tried to flat iron seem to be resisting look more like warm-combed

Solution:fed up co-washing only until schedule relaxer appointment or Aveda Institute for wash n go

I'm at week 48 and will be getting a touchup on week 67 (May 31, 2008)...I'm doing this stretch using braids.. Usually I stretch 16 weeks.. I don't comb until wash day and only wash in sections, use Profectiv Healthy ends when I roll it up and that's it.

I have stretched to 17 weeks before without problems. I am 13 weeks post now having rough time styling my hair. Thank goodness work from home would not want anyone to see my hair now.

Problems having listed

My hair will not lay down flat in front
New growth in back tuff to detangle now
Tried to flat iron seem to be resisting look more like warm-combed

Solution:fed up co-washing only until schedule relaxer appointment or Aveda Institute for wash n go

Here are some possible solutions:
My hair will not lay down flat in front - while your hair is wet, dab some moisturizer (I use Elasta QP mango butter) on the edges, brush gently, and wrap hair with scarf until dry.

New growth in back tuff to detangle now - load up hair with conditioner and detangle while in the shower

Tried to flat iron seem to be resisting look more like warm-combed - may need to take hair in smaller sections. Do you use a heat protectant or serum (I'm a fan of Chi Silk Infusion)?

I'm at almost 22 weeks post. I was wearing phony pony's or half wigs when I was around 10-12 weeks post. I have also worn weaves and braids in between. When I want to wash my hair I use the Mizani Thermasmooth system, it makes the hair look only 2 weeks post :)

The last time I washed I also used Aphogee 2min reconstructor inbetween the shampoo and condition steps of Mizani Thermasmooth. I didn't manage to get the roots as straight but they were still soft and I had hardly any shedding even though I had just been in braids for 6 weeks.

Here are some possible solutions:
My hair will not lay down flat in front - while your hair is wet, dab some moisturizer (I use Elasta QP mango butter) on the edges, brush gently, and wrap hair with scarf until dry.

New growth in back tuff to detangle now - load up hair with conditioner and detangle while in the shower

Tried to flat iron seem to be resisting look more like warm-combed - may need to take hair in smaller sections. Do you use a heat protectant or serum (I'm a fan of Chi Silk Infusion)?

Thanks Jlove

I will try technique Thursday of this week. I have Elasta QP mango butter in my stash. I used Keracare Silk N Seal last wash. Time to pull out my Chi Silk infusion again.

If you go this long with out relaxers so you do not need to trim?
Do you deep condition each week?
Thanks for your response!:grin:

I have trimmed once since my hair journey began. I deep condition with each wash. I normally wash every three days unless I'm in braids.

No different from what the other ladies said...plenty of rollersetting. i find that the longer the stretch the more frequent the washes; I will also touchup with a rollerset on dry hair using lots of leavin conditioner. Also lots of bunning and clip-ups. :grin:

I always stretch 12weeks and as long as i keep my hair well moistured i don't experience breakage give and take a lil protein. I think is very good and healthy to get your touchup 8wk+. I just bun it, can't get any simpler than that.

Back