For the sew-in wearers, matting/tangling/thinning questions, please chime in.

Kneechay

Ok, so as you guys know, I've been wearing a sew in for a while and a couple days ago, it became three months with it installed. My last install was 3 months and a week and this time, since I wanted to go for 4 months, I cut it into a bob because I got bored.

I've been doing a lot of reading and talking to some friends and even my stylist, Tinnell about matting issues. With the last install, Tinnell said I shouldn't wear it past two months because it can mat, but I wore it for three with absolutely no matting or tangling. But that was last time, I'm hoping it just wasn't luck.

A good thing to mention is that I deep condition & wash my weave and hair every Friday. So I'm sure that may contribute to matting if there will be any, but I washed it the same way last install.

-Has anyone ever gone 4 months in an install?
-What has been your experience? (I'm natural 4a so I don't know if that is a factor in tangling.)
-Also, what about thinning? For those who have experienced thinning due to weaves, what do you think caused it?

So far things seem okay, but I'm just worried from things I hear so I'm thinking
maybe 3.5 is a good amount of time perhaps? I would like input from those who've had weave issues and tips. I just want to know what i should expect going for 4 months.

I've never worn a sew-in for that long, but I do think a lot of the issues that people have with matting and tangling once they take them out has everything to do with not knowing how to properly detangle. You cannot just take it out adn then hop in the shower without coming out all that shed hair. :nono:

Nichi, I don't know how long it takes for hair to loc, but you might wanna research and take that into consideration when determining how long to keep your sew-in.

I usually get bored and then wanna take it out, but the longest I've gone is liek 2.5 months, I think.

As a natural the longest I've worn a sew-in was 3 months. And the was because I had too. I used http://www.takedownproducts.com/ this to make sure I had very little knots or bad tangles. It works. :up: All I can say is allot an entire day to taking that weave down. It will be a lonnnnnnnnng process.

Last edited:
I have never gone past 2 months, I cant take all the growth underneath if I let it go any longer. I am always very careful with my detangling.

When I do have a sew in instaled I usually wash every 2 weeks. I find my hair tangles more if I was more often :/

do not go past 3 months--im tellin ya--u will be sorry
when i wear a sewn in-i use to go 3 month or even 3.5 because i was being lazy---nightmare---
i think u should really keep it down to 2 or 2.5 months---
hair coils around each other when left alone aka matting---even though your manipulating it via washing and etc

I wore a sew in for four months once because I was traveling the whole time. It was my 3rd (and final!) sew in so I really didn't have a lot of knowledge about what to do. I jumped straight in the shower and spend hours detangling. The water made the four months of shed hair get totally tangled into my hair! I am still trying to trim off the damage that I caused. It could have been prevented by detangling before wetting - in the shower or with product!

Has anyone else tried this Take Down stuff? I wonder what the ingredients are?

Yeah girl 4 mons is a long time in a weave, not really recommended. The longest I've gone was 3 mons, and even that was a challenge. Now I'm doing only 2 mons. Why do you want to push for so long?

Yeah girl 4 mons is a long time in a weave, not really recommended. The longest I've gone was 3 mons, and even that was a challenge. Now I'm doing only 2 mons. Why do you want to push for so long?

Well in 06 after I had to do a MAJOR cut from improper detangling from microbraids, ever since, I've been detangling like my life depended on it. I did a good job last time. I dont have an issue with detangling at all. I'm just worried about possible matting, that may be beyond tangling.

To be honest, I'm pushing for so long because I'm being cheap maybe. Trying to get what I consider the highest value out of it. Every weekend I wash, it looks brand new. Further more, I got my sew in cut into a bob and its so fun, I dont want to get rid of it yet. Also, my schedule is pretty busy where it conflicts with that of people who can help me remove it.

Do you guys think 3.5 is a bit much?

One thing's for sure, do not wash that often. The more you wash your hair while in braids/sew-in, the easier it is for the dirt to shift and cause matting. I'm kinda doing something similar to you, but instead with a wig (but i'm keeping the same braid in for a looong time). and the less you do, the better. I would only wash once every two weeks. I think that plays a major role in matting. HTH.

ETA: You have been doing weaves now for some time, and I'm sure that you are good with detangling, so I'm sure that's not an issue for you. But again, one thing I've observed is that you can tell if you have matting by feeling that part of your hair where the ng meets the actual cornrow/braid (I hope that makes sense). That's how I knew I was about to have matting after I went to the beach and got my hair wet with that salt water.

Last edited:
I think 4 months is way too long to go w/a weave. I normally go 2-2.5 months...I'm natural so I have noticed any thinning from my weaves...However, I noticed with this take-down I had more "shedded" hair not sure why at this point. I'm going to try doing installing my weaves every 2 months max...

im probably going to get shot for saying this but my last sew in was left in for 7 months. my hair was shorter than neck length before i put it in and when i took it out it was almost APL (almost 2 inches away). no mattting, no damage, no nothing. i still wake up in the morning thinking i have my sew-in still but i dont... its my real hair.... so i guess it just all depends on the person and their hair... AND the stylist who puts it in

ETA: at the time i was texlaxed...

Last edited:
im probably going to get shot for saying this but my last sew in was left in for 7 months. my hair was shorter than neck length before i put it in and when i took it out it was almost APL (almost 2 inches away). no mattting, no damage, no nothing. i still wake up in the morning thinking i have my sew-in still but i dont... its my real hair.... so i guess it just all depends on the person and their hair... AND the stylist who puts it in

ETA: at the time i was texlaxed...

Woah!...cool.

What.was.your.reggie?

Woah!...cool.

What.was.your.reggie?

i washed my hair every 2 1/2 weeks. i made sure to wrap my hair the opposite direction every week. i moisturized my tracks (not the scalp) every night. and since i wasnt able to wash my hair like i usually do when i dont have weave, i drank water like there was no tomorrow... i was doing some serious KISSing though.

i also took vitamins (garlic, one-a-day, flaxseed/borage/fish oil, biotin, green tea) every night

i dont necessarily recommend keeping it in that long... its just that... that REMY hair is the truth. my hair was looking on point from day one to the day i took it out (and so was my hair underneath). also ive been wearing some type of weave (whether braids or weave) for eight years (on and off) now. i feel like im experienced enough to take care of it for a longer period of time.

ETA: i just need to work on staying away from the scissors :/ urgh

i washed my hair every 2 1/2 weeks. i made sure to wrap my hair the opposite direction every week. i moisturized my tracks (not the scalp) every night. and since i wasnt able to wash my hair like i usually do when i dont have weave, i drank water like there was no tomorrow... i was doing some serious KISSing though.

i also took vitamins (garlic, one-a-day, flaxseed/borage/fish oil, biotin, green tea) every night

i dont necessarily recommend keeping it in that long... its just that... that REMY hair is the truth. my hair was looking on point from day one to the day i took it out (and so was my hair underneath). also ive been wearing some type of weave (whether braids or weave) for eight years (on and off) now. i feel like im experienced enough to take care of it for a longer period of time.

ETA: i just need to work on staying away from the scissors :/ urgh

wow, what brand remy hair did u use? what is a full weave or partial? what products did u use to wash ur hair and moisturise the tracks? how often were u moisturising ur tracks?

I have struggled with installs so please could anyone help. I bought some quality remy hair and have tried installing it myself. Firstly what is the best way to moisturise the tracks? Also when installing the weave is it okay to use black wool ( the type for woolen jerseys to sew in the weave as i thot it would prevent cutting my hair when sewing it in? Or thread? Each time i take out the sew in my hair is super dry and breaks off badly. I have actually stayed away from weaves for this reason

I just took my weave down yesterday after 3 months with no problems. And that was with cowashing every other day. I thought I might have some matting/tangling problems but I didn't. I wouldn't go longer than that though.

Back