For naturals that straighten: What should I expect?

BlkRushhin

Hey yall,
I'm currently looking into getting my hair straightened with heat (I'm 4A/4B...I believe) and I was wondering what should I expect from a stylist?

-What questions should I ask during a consultation?
-What warning signs should I look out for?
-What's a reasonable price range? (I'm sure that probably depends on length and thickness)
-Am I forgetting anything from this checklist?!

I guess my fears are the gawd awful smell of fried hair (not to mention FRIED HAIR), my hair NOT reverting, and a scissor-happy or incompetent stylist.
On top of my fears, there's not many salons here that deal with natural hair, besides the 4 natural hair salons here, and they do NOT straighten by any means.

:perplexed Anyhoo, thanx for your responses!

1. What produts will you use as a heat protectant?
2. Will you straighten with a flat iron or hot comb, or both?
3. Please use a wide tooth comb to detangle my hair from the ends up.
4. May I see pictures of clients hair that you have done?
5. Are many of your clients natural?
6. Ask the stylist, her thoughts on moisture/protein balance? (if the stylist has no clue about this question...leave immediately)

1. What produts will you use as a heat protectant?
2. Will you straighten with a flat iron or hot comb, or both?
3. Please use a wide tooth comb to detangle my hair from the ends up.
4. May I see pictures of clients hair that you have done?
5. Are many of your clients natural?
6. Ask the stylist, her thoughts on moisture/protein balance? (if the stylist has no clue about this question...leave immediately)

:grin::grin: O thanx so much Pinkskates. I was actually hoping that you would leave me an answer. I've been stalking your fotki since I became a member!

missfadu I am DEFINITELY adding that to my checklist.:yep:

Originally posted by BlkRushhin
:grin::grin:O thanx so much Pinkskates. I was actually hoping that you would leave me an answer. I've been stalking your fotki since I became a member!

You're welcome...you have to be so careful with whom you let loose in your hair with hot tools.

Back